Post Thanks / Like

Foreign object in my turbo!!???

So as some will no I'm having boost issues so took the turbo off and this fell out

Does anyone know what this is and what it means??

Some more pics if the turbo if it helps

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foreign object in my turbo!!???

No idea what it is but it has cracked the comp housing. I wouldn't bother with that turbo just get another one, when you find out what that metal piece is from. What side was it in? Did you found it how it is in the pix?
    Most prob a blade off a wheel, take the housings off and abbr a proper look inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it an internal fin?

Also does the turbo split in halve after removing the 4 bolts in the middle holding on some metal covers? If so it it a few taps with the hammer?

Post Thanks / Like

No mate it fell out the exhaust manifold entrance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    No idea what it is but it has cracked the comp housing. I wouldn't bother with that turbo just get another one, when you find out what that metal piece is from. What side was it in? Did you found it how it is in the pix?
    Most prob a blade off a wheel, take the housings off and abbr a proper look inside.
    Call me thick but where is the crack in the comp housing?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah undo those 4 bolts and exhaust housing will come off, undo the ones on the comp housing side to take comp housing off and you will be left with just the core. May need a little tap with a hammer yes

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the second pix look left to the comp wheel nut just the other side of the inlet looks like its cracked there and another 2 on the right side tho not as apparent.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah... Thanks for spotting that mate

Post Thanks / Like

I took some smaller pics.. And I'm no mechanic etc but they look like excess metal?? Or is this classed as a crack?

What do you think bud?

Post Thanks / Like

Look like casting marks to me

Post Thanks / Like

yeah they look like casting marks closer up. Looked like a crack from a far my bad. Any pics with the housings off?

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever it is, I hope it hasn't been sending metal shavings into the combustion chamber.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your running a k tech manifold have a look inside that as it looks like a piece of the collector off the inside of the manifold if your lucky and it hasn't damaged the turbine blades it might just have restricted the flow through the turbo giving you your problems

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKinnear View Post
    So as some will no I'm having boost issues so took the turbo off and this fell out

Does anyone know what this is and what it means??
    Is that metal ??? It looks like a piece of the plastic airbox snapped of and got stuck in your turbo fins to me
    I would have thought your compressor fins would have been shredded if it was metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Deano, Scott said this thing was in his exhaust manifold. Although I can see why you thought it had been in the air intake. Pics were a bit confusing.

I like JP's post.

Scott, it looks like you might have gotten away without damaging the turbo. That metal thing looks like it's too big to either go back down the manifold pipes and cause issues with the head, or forwards far enough to hit the turbine blades.

If it is a ktec manifold, I'd have it off, check it thoroughly and if it's not missing anything, put it back on and count your lucky stars

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Deano, Scott said this thing was in his exhaust manifold. Although I can see why you thought it had been in the air intake. Pics were a bit confusing.

I like JP's post.

Scott, it looks like you might have gotten away without damaging the turbo. That metal thing looks like it's too big to either go back down the manifold pipes and cause issues with the head, or forwards far enough to hit the turbine blades.

If it is a ktec manifold, I'd have it off, check it thoroughly and if it's not missing anything, put it back on and count your lucky stars
    Good call Trev i din't spot that, It still looks like a bit of the air box to me though lol

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

Mind my language but ktec are fffin ****ers. Over 400 quid I spent on that manifold and I can only have completed 3000 miles tops.

Just to set the story. It can't be the air box because I don't have one and secondly I apologies for the confusing photos. I just wanted to show the size of the piece of metal but I can see how it looked.

I still can't prize the turbo apart. I don't want to hit it to hard with the hammer. Another night soaked in wd40??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is appauling

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree.

That manifold is ridiculous ! I'd be straight back to where you bought it with your turbo in hand too if its fu##ed.

What are those flaps supposed to be for anyway ?

With note to your turbo why do you wnat to take it apart ?
    Is it seized or catching the compressor or exhaust housing ?

If not i'd be tempted to leave it well alone and just try refitting it, without the dodgy manifold of course

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

holy sh1t balls

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I wanted to take the turbo apart was for peace of mind the blades weren't damaged and also the turbo started seeping oil into the air feed and I don't know if the metal piece cut a seal?? Or is it not possible.

Other problem is I bought the manifold 9 years ago. I think they will tell me to go away politely? What do you think? I still have the receipt. Does anyone have any hope they will give out good customer service and replace the product? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Its a shame to see this happen but after 9 years of it sitting I would be surprised if they even entertained it.

Post Thanks / Like

Feck, that's a total joke. Did it come with any kind of warranty? You'd expect a stainless tubular manifold to be lifetime guaranteed tbh. I can't see how they'd try and get out of the liability, even at 9yrs. It's not like a turbo where the manufacturers have endless avenues for excuses. You've been using the manifold for the purpose it was designed for. And stainless welds don't go off over time (do they?).

The turbo looks like it's ok from the pics, i.e. not been damaged by that piece of metal visually. I don't know if something like that rattling about could eventually cause a balance issue (which then led to bearing probs and that oil leak)? Not that it would be possible to prove I don't think. I'd just refit it with an OE manifold and crack on.

As regards the air box comments, I don't think anyone was saying it was actually a piece of a GTT airbox, just that it looked like one.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair your turbo should be fine as its only a small turbo the housing will have a small neck on the housing and it wont reach the turbine if it had of gone into the turbine i think it would have gone bang big time

to check you could try and see if that piece of metal would go into the turbo manifold side where you found it and try to jam the exhaust turbine from spinning if you cant get it to do that then i think it wont of been hurt by the metal a lucky escape in my eyes if it had of been smaller it could have done a whole load more damage. If thats the case you dont need to worry about taking the turbo apart

Post Thanks / Like

trev weld can go off after time dont forget a manifold gets super hot and cools down too and can expand and contract breaking a weld if its not that good in the first place. I have to agree with the previous comments that the K-tec manifold workman ship is piss poor.

P.S. i paid a good local company to weld my manifold collector and T3 flange on and it cost me £500 just for the extra work on top of the manifolds origanal cost

Post Thanks / Like

I say nine years ownership but its only been road worthy for 5 on and off from 2008. When the turbo was bolted on and you tried to spin the intake wheel you could feel it catching on something, hence why I took it off. I guess it can't harm it anymore bolting it back on and see how it performs. Just a shame the least expected parts you expect to fail do.

So does the tubular manifold not give out much gains over the standard manifold? As I'm not against going back to standard if its minuscule.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

comp wheel looks very chipped anyway, turbine will probabley be okay, although i am shocked at the state of the collector

i gather the pieces of metal are suppose to help flow the air into collector with minimal flow turbulance, i would cut open the collector and either remove them or get them re tigged , as if one has broken away due to metal fatigue, the rest are sure to follow, better still get the whole lot looked over and re tigged, you then know where you stand as to reagards build quality

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKinnear View Post
    I say nine years ownership but its only been road worthy for 5 on and off from 2008. When the turbo was bolted on and you tried to spin the intake wheel you could feel it catching on something, hence why I took it off. I guess it can't harm it anymore bolting it back on and see how it performs. Just a shame the least expected parts you expect to fail do.

So does the tubular manifold not give out much gains over the standard manifold? As I'm not against going back to standard if its minuscule.

really depends on other mods ,ie cams,head work, turbo flow,

if your running standard cams and a smaller turbo, then not worth the expense, but as said if its part of a " increase engine breathing package " then yes it will help

im still hmmmming....... about fitting a wilder exhaust cam in mine to help flow even more air, even though i just changed it yesterday , and already im thinking 270 fast road ex cam 9.91mm lift
    Last edited by HAndy; 03-06-2013 at 18:45.

Post Thanks / Like

comments -

Post Thanks / Like

You might wanna take the exhaust housing off the turbo and checking there isn't any damage to the blades and no pieces of weld or anything caught between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the cars back together. Thanks for all your help. Never managed to prize the turbo apart but it runs like new again so that's spot on.

Hopefully nothing else fails and I can get back to trusting the car on longer journeys without thinking I should join the aa.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff.

You did put an OE exhaust manifold on right?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi mate. No I fixed the one I had. Spent that much money on it I was going to fix it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough Scott. If it's been done properly I'm sure it wont be a problem again.

Post Thanks / Like

Test

Last edited by ScottKinnear; 25-11-2013 at 18:49.

Post Thanks / Like

Test

Post Thanks / Like

failed?

Post Thanks / Like

What, now you've found three seat swabs in your exhaust mani!? Ktec are real a** holes.

Post Thanks / Like

What, now you've found three seat swabs in your exhaust mani!? Ktec are real a** holes.