Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

clio williams

thinkin about buying a clio williams, advice what should i look out for, where do they rot, its one thats on ebay now its in salisbury anyone no anythin bout this car ?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: clio williams

Quote Originally Posted by azzturbo1.7 View Post
    thinkin about buying a clio williams, advice what should i look out for, where do they rot, its one thats on ebay now its in salisbury anyone no anythin bout this car ?
    Rot wise check Rear arches outer lip is worst place, windscreen surrounds, jacking point's pretty much same area's as a 5 gtt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Rot wise check Rear arches outer lip is worst place, windscreen surrounds, jacking point's pretty much same area's as a 5 gtt
    why a williams??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dont no realy tbh, jus feel like gettin one u never see them and seem abit more realiable than 5s still keeping my 5 tho .

Post Thanks / Like

dont no realy tbh, jus feel like gettin one u never see them and seem abit more realiable than 5s still keeping my 5 tho .

They are pretty rare but quiet costly for a decent one. For the money you could get a 172 not rare but go well and handle nicely and not to bad on the ole mpg's

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i no what ya mean my brother had a 172 they seem like they have took over from saxo vts now cos there that cheap !

Post Thanks / Like

i no what ya mean my brother had a 172 they seem like they have took over from saxo vts now cos there that cheap !

Good point, what about a normal 1.8 16v valver still pretty rare, alot cheaper to buy and get hold of part's

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

they seem to be more on insurance im only 21 got 2-3 grand budget should get me a quite reasonable williams!

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Good point, what about a normal 1.8 16v valver still pretty rare, alot cheaper to buy and get hold of part's
    problem is if you try and buy one there £2500, try and sell one and all you'll get offered £600..

my clio 16v was fun in the corners like my 5gtt but lacked the turbo so found it boring, the williams wouldn't get me hard either..

i wish i had these cars many years ago before they were 5+owners whores with rust, rot etc.. when you get them now there nearly always f_cked.. thats why id be after a 172/182 and bolting a turbocharger on

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont reali want it for power, got got me thinkin now tho sayin tht there all fudged lol and buy buying a 172 put turbo on it is bit more expensive and you never get the money back u put into it !

Post Thanks / Like

Only Williams 1 came with a badge and number, 500 iirc. They then did the 2 & 3, these aren't as sought after and seen by the purists as just a 2 liter version of the valver due to being mass produced.

You'll blow your budget and more buying a good one and a rough one will need bodywork as they suffer from rust

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

uve all put me off now lol

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Go look at some, only you'll know if its worth buying... You might find a good one sold by someone whose really loved it..

That's always a car worth having.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thats the thing but the one ive seen is about 3 hours have a look on ebay its in salisbury, hes listed a load of parts hes replaced dont if thats a gd thing or bad !

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw one up auction last year and had to go take a look, had full ticket, 115k however it need loads doing, sills, paint, tyres on limit etc etc was tempted to have a cheeky bid and see what it went for but it just screamed money-pit at me! lol

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned can be costly to run as the parts are not all that cheap and insurance group 17 where as the valver and gtt are 14. Put all this aside though its a great car to own ( if a willy 1 appreciating classic) and even better to drive, a few B roads later and you will soon see why it has been voted the best fwd hot hatch ever made many times over. In my old Williams a copper pulled me over just to have a quick gander, cheeky sod!!!!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Iv got a williams 3 i had a williams 1 years ago they are fun cars really revvy and handle so well i had a clio 182 when they first came out and would choose the williams any day...
    It is similar to a 5 but lacks a turbo the f7r is a really good engine iv never had a problem with mine

. Check arches sills and sunroofs can leak ,good ones are hard to come by good luck

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check for play in the steering column, easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like

How much are you looking to pay up to mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

at least someones give me a bit of confidence lol looking to spend 2-3 grand !

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, don't get me wrong, I'd love one, almost swapped my 172 cup for one but I would have had to give up my personal number plate or keep it on retention forever.

Really depends what you want it for, daily runner, weekend blaster ect. Problem with the Williams is unless it's a 1 it's not going to go up in value so you'll struggle to get your money back when you decide to sell and it will come to a point where the cost of keeping it on the road with be more than its worth. If you're happy with doing that you might has well pick up a cheap 172 and run it into the ground, will save you money and do everything the willy will do.

If you want to own a bit of motoring history then go for it, it may be more reliable than the 5, but they're getting on so could be less reliable, depends if you want 2 project cars. Stick with the 5, it will only go up in value and swallow all your money

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

3 grand u will get a decent williams 1 for but they dont come up often a friend of mines been looking at a few recently. Theres a couple on the williams owners club ... If u had the chance to drive one i reckon u would enjoy it power delivery is all the way through instead of the power band with the clio sports thats what annoyed me about them.

Post Thanks / Like

at least someones give me a bit of confidence lol looking to spend 2-3 grand !
    My dad has one if your interested its a 2 and he is the 2nd owner from new bought it from a main dealer about 6 months and new the first owner who only p/x ed it for a 3 that arrived at the showroom about 80k on the clock and completely I.e will need a couple of little bits doing on it though just cosmetics runs and starts like its new let me know if your interested mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

im interested whats sort of bits does it need, where are u in the country and what sort of money. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

im interested whats sort of bits does it need, where are u in the country and what sort of money. thanks
    Hi mate it would need wheels refurbed and possibly 4 tyres it has brand new front shocks and springs from Renault fitted and not used since fitted it has no tax or mot as it has not been used since 06/07 sad really as its just sat there it only has 1 bit of rust on it and that is round the rear tailgate wiper apart from that no more rust anywhere at all it is very straight for its age and was my mums daily for years before she become ill and stopped driving it I am based in Surrey jct 8 on the m25 and I think they would want about £2,000-2,500 and I could possibly get it mot'd if it was nearer 2,500 a few members on here can vouch for the car who have seen it I know James 5 has seen it if you want another opinion mate if you want to call anytime my mob is 07814518971 cheers Phil

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rot wise ..in all mk1 clio's are -

Sills,archs,rear chassis legs...floor ...windscreen surrounds ..inner wings ...same as 5's really as they used the same cheese grater style metal

the williams will come with a wider track up front ..gold wheels(with chrome lip) ..a emblem on the dash with its unique number ...dipstick as a black dot on it also ..engine block will say F7R ...walk away if it says F7P ..could be a fake

as said the clio 1.8 16v's are coming up cheaper than a williams ...for around £1200 you can find a very clean "rot free" one ...i took my time and found one in essex from a member on here