Post Thanks / Like

Which tyres to try on my R5 GTT

I have been on the look out to replace my current tyres which are Yokos a539's on my Renault 5 gtt. I run 205/40/17's ATM and did look into going to a 215/35/17 but they have a very limited tyre selection so I'm looking at 205/40/17's. The car is only on the road for summer and normally dry weather driving unless it turns out like last summer

So the tyres I have used on my r5 are Yokos a539 which I thought were ok
    Infinity inf 05 just the one mind hmmm I was disparate and all I will say is its a doughnut of death
    Previously on different wheels I have used
    Yokos Avs sport found them ok but they didn't last long
    Michelin pilots very good all round and lasted well
    Also had a set of Yokos a048's very grippy in the dry not so good in the wet but lasted ok

Tyres I have used on my other cars
    Pirelli p6000 ok wear but thought they would be better ok grip wet and dry
    Continental sport contacts thought they were good in the dry not so good in the wet with decent wear.
    Kumho ku39 grip in the dry good in the wet ok but wear rate was shocking 8000 miles ish

Currently running Bridgestone potanzas on my jag only done a few miles but feel good in the wet
    On my saab I have continental contact sport 2 again very good all round

I have decided to try something new and to make things more interesting I'm on a budget too

So as far as I have seen I have come up with these so far anymore name's in the hat would be good too
    neuton nt5000
    matador mp46
    uniroyal rainsport2
    falken ze914
    Avon zz3
    hankook ventus v12
    vredestein ultrac cents

So has anyone run any of these and your thoughts on it please
    Also this is a web site I have used before to help me decide what to use
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which tyres to try on my R5 GTT

I have Falken 452s on my BMW and can not fault them in the dry or wet unless really pushing it they come in at that size so might be worth taking a look

Post Thanks / Like

A few people I know have also run the falkens with good results but what about on a 5

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive tried the Hankooks and also the Vredesteins - Hankooks are really good, vredestiens I personally thought were rubbish but have ates that love them.

Personally I love Goodyear Eagle F1's - am just about to buy 4 195/45 15's for the raider as it came with 195/50 15's fitted which rub like mad

Post Thanks / Like

I have eagle f1s on the front and t1rs on rear but I wanted assymetric 2's bit they aren't made in 15's have a look for a set of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Avoid the Avon zz3, total poo! Body roll all over the place, poor grip and wear rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my mates swear by hankooks there really good tyres and growing in popularity and well priced

Post Thanks / Like

The Goodyear eagle asymmetric 2 have got fantastic reviews and have also won loads of different tests and do look really really good and if I could stretch to that I would have them. Only thing is I've done the 02m conversion and a few other bits on my car first and with the wife still on maternity i now have a budget to sort tyres out

Post Thanks / Like

Nankang NS II 18 35 17 maybe an option

Post Thanks / Like

So far the hankooks are looking a good bet and the same with the falkens then

Post Thanks / Like

Bridgestone potanzas are good, but only really a summer tire and need to be hot to get the best from them.

Continental contact sport 3 are great, but then I am running them in 265 35 19 on the M3, so that may have something todo with it.

Ive got a set of the Continental contact sport 2 for my five, but can't comment on how they roll as my fresh wheels won't be bolted on till summer.

Not used Goodyear eagles F1 yet, but there very highly rated by many and will be my first choice on next tire change.

Post Thanks / Like

If money is tight, have you considered buying them from - http://www.blackcircles.com/

You can select monthly payments and with a low interest charge to. Also, can have them sent somewhere local of choice to be fitted all in that price to buddy!

Don't forget to claim your tesco club card points.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife's 2.0l 16v megane had the nankang ns2's on and they gripped well in the dry but didn't like them much for braking in the wet :/ but they are as cheap a tyre I can find at £40 a corner

Post Thanks / Like

Nankang, aka ditch finders.

Without trying to upset anyone, if you Google "ditch finders" your see why. These are a budget tire at best and best avoid for any proper performance car to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used black circle before and a garage 100 meters away fitted my tires I bought from them I'm currently looking at camskill web site and they have some really good prices and I have a few friends who can fit the tyres for the cost of a few drinks

Also I could get the car passed its mot with the Yokos on it and wait a little longer if I wanted and buy some expensive tyres but I never like paying loads of money for tyres but at the same time I don't want £10 doughnuts of death on me 5 lol

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean.

But some times people over look tire choice and forget that's what between you and the road!

Spend loads of money on tuning and suspension set up only to not realise the tires have got the job of grip for cornering, braking etc etc.

People then stick cheapys on and think their car got power because it wheel spins the budget tires in 3rd and forth gear!

Post Thanks / Like

Camskill or eBay are your best bet. What about the yoko parada SPEC 2's?

Post Thanks / Like

The yoko parada spec 2's are suppose to be very good in the dry but dire in the wet but I'm opting for dry driving so will take a closer look at them. I do like the yoko tyres I've had in the past apart from the Avs sport which I took off the 5 and put on an old Astra diesel I had

Post Thanks / Like

got to disagree on the falkens - when I bought my r26 someone had put 2 on the front - minimal grip in the dry and they would break away so easily.

Where as im another hankook fan, I got some fair mileage out of mine, perform brilliantly - just like a Michelin ps2 but better in the wet. Trackdays where fine on them aswell