Post Thanks / Like

My Flaps not working...

Hi guys been for a good blast in the 5 today to blow the winter cobwebs out so I know everything was up to temp and when I finished poppped the bonnet to check if the flap in the intercooler was working on that thermo swtich affair same as in the airbox it was still closed so my question is will it make a noticable difference to my car being shut all the time and the air bypassing the cooler fins if there will be then I will follow the destructions on the search to de-flap it..My car is running 100% standard and to be honest feels pretty good as it is boosts nice and strong etc..I dont want to rip it all apart for feck all gain ..Do these thermo switches get duff over the years? Thanks for any info

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Flaps not working...

I would pretty much say that they do feck up over time.. Best way to test is in some hot water or air and monitor what the temp of the supply air is until it opens..

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I would imagine they do just the car feels pretty good so cant imagine its bypassing the intercooler completely but the flap was deffo shut after a 12 mile blast just curious as if it makes the car feel even more lively if I took all the gubbins out thanks for the reply Dave..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see it making a massive difference unless its not working properly.. Get a cheap 2nd hand one, flow that and try

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to remember that you could take out the thermostat part in the intercoolers and replace it with a bolt of the same thread and as you screwed it in at a point the flap opened up :/ it would there for open it fully and hold it there been a long time since I looked at a std cooler but that rings a bell

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on that guys I`ll buy an old cooler and have a fiddle about will be worth a go thanks again...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    I seem to remember that you could take out the thermostat part in the intercoolers and replace it with a bolt of the same thread and as you screwed it in at a point the flap opened up :/ it would there for open it fully and hold it there been a long time since I looked at a std cooler but that rings a bell

not the only one who remembers that one

deffo route to go if you want the full flow of the o.e cooler, dont pull it apart unless you really have to

if your taking it of the car , fill it with water and hang it up for a few hours and check for leaks also, o.e items where known for having issues

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers JP/Handy swapped the thermostat over with an M10x20mm bolt holds the flap open fine seems the easiest method.Never thought of filling with water and checking it will give that a go at weekend as its allready too late as opened up the cooler to have a poke around but after checking it over and going for a little blast car felt great no funny boost leaking noises and the gauge still reads the same in the car..thanks again for the info..