Post Thanks / Like

R5 gt turbo bhp

Hi guys

So lets say the 5 is running well fuelled right but we keep advancing the bhp with mods..
    What breaks first on the c1j and why? Lets say at 150-170-180-190-200-200+

Mines 150 and been really good just got to keep on top of it..
    I'm hoping for closer 200 but who knows till its in the motor what extra worries could I have?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5 gt turbo bhp

Got to be fueling and afrs paul are your concern. Run it in properly too.

Should have added the parts than failed on me were rings but other problems were a catalyst for that. You hit the nail when you said "keeping on top of it"
    Last edited by Red October; 01-03-2013 at 18:55. Reason: because im a idiot

Post Thanks / Like

Only had a turbo, clutch and many gearboxes/driveshafts fail in 15k miles. This is with boost levels from minimum 1.5-1.8bar max at the manifold 200+ bhp.

This is with std compression/internals, build it once and build it right

Post Thanks / Like

std engine.... first thing to go is usually the intercooler popping i think somewhere around 14psi???? very rough guess, this is why people strap them. This is also roughly the limit on the std carb fueling but that could be too lean still. id say thats around the 140ish mark? after that id say the turbo struggles to do much more pressure if boosting often. then with a bigger turbo ,bigger intercooler, carb mods the engine goes pretty well in std form up to around 180? maybe even more? maybe exhaust mods and camshaft to be beyond 200? after that i think to around 250 you really have to sort the fueling and monitor for det. I wouldnt say any of the main engine components cant cope?

I think the std clutch is probably on its limit at some point not sure where but id guess around the 170? then id say the volvo turbo clutch for around 200ish, then maybe a better plate with volvo cover for a bit more than 200?

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff hopefully I should be laughing then with my new build if iv done things correctly which I think I have I hope this cam pays off I was torn between just sticking the 285 in.. I haven't skimmped on anything it's had all my money lol.. We will see I thought mine was nippy at 150 do 200 better be worth all the doe.. I have spare driveshafts.. It's more the gearbox I think might be the weakest. We will see

Post Thanks / Like

when ur boosting more the first casualty is usually the turbo or head gasket or both!!then ur clutch starts slipping!!

Post Thanks / Like

mines been fine, just dont ask it to launch 1st gear all the time... i just nail it 2nd 3rd 4th, when i used to have around 165 hp 2nd and 3rd were fun... now at 200 4th and 5th get scary quite quickly lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    mines been fine, just dont ask it to launch 1st gear all the time... i just nail it 2nd 3rd 4th, when i used to have around 165 hp 2nd and 3rd were fun... now at 200 4th and 5th get scary quite quickly lol
    Iv already said to myself I will need to calm it and keep it for the track.. But pods my first obstical this year so 1st is going to get some battering lol 4th and 5th I very rarely get that high a gear.. I only really do 18miles a day to work and back.. We will see what happens.. I can't wait.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If say most likely them dodgy old stretch head bolts..