Post Thanks / Like

How much Coolant?

Draining my system today and refilling with pre-mix... How much should I buy? 2 or 5ltrs?
    Thanks

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much Coolant?

5 litres and you'll have some left over 👍

Post Thanks / Like

like said yourl need the 5litres

think full system holds 5.5 - but just top up witrh water if need be

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys guys.... couldn't get a 5ltr pre mix Glycol (blue) in halfords, so I got a 2ltr unmixed , used all that then had a 1ltr bottle and used half of that... it seemed to come out of the bleed screws then so closed them up
    So that works out to be 2 1/2 ltrs of neat coolant... then I'm thinking what was left in the system when I flushed her out has made up the water part of the mix.

Does this sound right?

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering guys... maybe I'm being worrier ... Whilst I testing the car (R5 Campus) ... checking hoses were hot etc and no air was trapped.. I let her run for 5 mins... I noticed little bubbles every so often in the header tank (had the cap off). Is this normal?
    All hoses were pretty hot.

I also noticed a very slight weep on the rad cap... is this ok?
    Also... when should the rad fan come on?

Thanks

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What is this fad with using neat coolant? Why?

Corrosion inhibitors are designed to work with water and are more effective when mixed with water.

Additionally the increased viscosity of neat coolant causes problems with circulation and increases workload of the water pump. Do you guys not notice the viscosity difference?

Also, Organic and non-organic coolants should not be mixed. If mixing from a concentrate then best to use distilled water to make up the quantity - UK tap water has a lot of dissolved minerals in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post

Corrosion inhibitors are designed to work with water and are more effective when mixed with water.

Additionally the increased viscosity of neat coolant causes problems with circulation and increases workload of the water pump. Do you guys not notice the viscosity difference?

Also, Organic and non-organic coolants should not be mixed. If mixing from a concentrate then best to use distilled water to make up the quantity - UK tap water has a lot of dissolved minerals in it.
    Its a coolant water mix... not 100% neat. Rather than buying pre mixed... buying neat... and mixing myself is the same thing

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post

had a so called jap tuner say exactly the same thing to me 9 months ago, i laughed....then asked how is it better, i tried telling him that 100% pure distilled water would give best results, but he was not convinced, he said its what they do in the states so it must be right

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    had a so called jap tuner say exactly the same thing to me 9 months ago, i laughed....then asked how is it better, i tried telling him that 100% pure distilled water would give best results, but he was not convinced, he said its what they do in the states so it must be right
    The specific heat of water is 1 calorie/gram °C = 4.186 joule/gram °C which is higher than any other common substance (thats the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature by one degree).

Ethylene Glycol has a specific heat capacity of about half of water. We use it because it gives a lower freezing point and a higher boiling point.
    A 50/50 mix would need an increase in flow rates when compared with water, ie, as you say, Water alone is a better coolant as regards heat absorption.

Of course though, Yanks are immune to science