Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

On the hunt for a 5

First post!

Hi, i've joined up because I need another 5 in my life.

I owned an immaculate 89 car in silver about 10 years ago, I sold it and the guy blew it up the next day! More recently i've got into old BMW's, i've got 2 E34 540i 6 speed and an E34 M5.

The M5 is going to be sold and i'm looking for a nice solid car to look after and improve. I've been doing a lot of reading and i'm prepared to get involved with welding.

I'm in Wigan as my username suggests, are there any local meets/members, i'd like to have a good look around a nice example if possible.

thanks

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: On the hunt for a 5

september 2nd theres a load of us going down to the pod if you fancy it event name 'frog of the pod'

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club :-)

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club, glad you've found your senses (or lost them?!) and decided to buy another R5. Check out the classifieds as decent motors come up on there quite regularly

As for events, there's a RR day @ EFI parts in Warrington on 23/9/12 - see the events section. Hopefully meet you there

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately I'm on holiday for the Santa Pod meet but may be able to make the rolling road day.

The car that SALTY BLADE bought recently is exactly what I'm after. I'll keep checking the usual places and see what comes up.

I think there's quite a few Gt Turbo's in the area so I'll hopefully find one.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it didn't take long and i'm now the proud owner of this https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=28699

First impressions are very good, the engine feels nice and strong, steering is direct. I wasn't ready for the attention is gets, loads of drivers on the 170 mile journey home were giving it thumbs up and slowing down to have a look.

Plans are to treat a few little scabs of rust and just run it and see which bits I want to improve.

The most impressive thing for me is that it has done 197k miles and still feels brilliant. It shows that if you look after a car properly it will last. Fingers crossed that it stays reliable.

Post Thanks / Like

cool cool stuff, and yep the attention is somthing crazy, mines out just to run the engine in, missing side skirts and all sorts, yet still attracts in any petrol station i go to. lol

Post Thanks / Like

540i and M5, cool.

How did they compare to drive in engine performance terms? Didn't the 540 have the higher torque figure?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any excuse to take it out, just nipped to the shops to get lunch. It's so much fun.

Totally different to the BMW's. The M5 has a fair bit more go at the top end than the 540, they're supposed to have the same amount of torque. Handling wise there's nothing in it really, they are both big heavy cars.

The sound of the V8 is what makes it, I like to just waft around listening to the exhaust but it also has a LSD for when a quiet roundabout beckons.

The 5 is a nice change, everything more direct, it will be a challenge to get used to the gear ratios so that i'm always in the power band but that's part of why I love these cars.

I'm looking forward to meeting a few people off the forum, I realise how little I know about these cars now I have one again.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a decent purchase! Are you going to the RR day @ EFI parts next month?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Seems like a decent purchase! Are you going to the RR day @ EFI parts next month?
    Looks like a nice buy would be great to see you at the RR day.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm up for the RR day. I've never had a car tested before so that could be interesting.

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the club matey here is the thread for the rr event

https://rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=26285

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madeinwigan View Post

Well it didn't take long and i'm now the proud owner of this https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=28699

First impressions are very good, the engine feels nice and strong, steering is direct. I wasn't ready for the attention is gets, loads of drivers on the 170 mile journey home were giving it thumbs up and slowing down to have a look.

Plans are to treat a few little scabs of rust and just run it and see which bits I want to improve.

The most impressive thing for me is that it has done 197k miles and still feels brilliant. It shows that if you look after a car properly it will last. Fingers crossed that it stays reliable.
    Could not resist posting. Glad you made it back home and it feels a little wierd not having my 5 around, but at least its gone to a good home. Before you know it you will be in the 200k club.

I will try and dig out the excel spreadsheet to show exactly what was done to the car over my 14 year tenure which will match up to all the receipts you have, just need to set up, connect and boot up my desktop pc.
    Last edited by Judder; 20-08-2012 at 22:27. Reason: more info

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be great Justin, I'm struggling to translate some of the German invoices!

I've had my first problem, the car is struggling to boost properly, hopefully it's something simple. I'm loving it though, really good fun car.

Post Thanks / Like

need some more info ??.

is it missfiring as the boost comes in or somthing ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No misfiring, the engine revs smoothly just without boost action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madeinwigan View Post

That would be great Justin, I'm struggling to translate some of the German invoices!

I've had my first problem, the car is struggling to boost properly, hopefully it's something simple. I'm loving it though, really good fun car.
    No problem, hopefully you can get the boost problem sorted out. I did have the same experience about 5+ years ago. It turned out to be just a loose boost pipe and fixed within about 5 mins.

Cheers!

My run to work in my Clio 182 did not attract the same amount of attention as my 5 did!