Post Thanks / Like

Finally got my 5 running after 2 years!

Well, finally, after owning the car for 2 years and killing it the same day I bought it, i've finally fitted a new engine and got her running again..

(Ignore the whining, starter motor needs adjusting)
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151103895571999

I bought the engine for £50 as a complete punt, I had no idea if it ran, just knew that it appeared to turn over ok. Spent many evenings working on it, tidying everything up where possible and replacing old and worn parts.

Started it up for the first time this weekend and to my surprise the engine actually ran! Left it running for a good 10 minutes and it appeared to run well. No pressure in the coolant system, no oil in the water bottle, no water in the oil. But when we started to give the engine a rev we noticed the bottom end knocked

It's being collected tonight by a friend of mine who is going to remove the sump and fit some new shells. I'm hoping it will fix it. I'd love to finally get on the road in a 5 turbo!

Some pics..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally got my 5 running after 2 years!

This was the contents of my heater matrix after flushing it out with a hosepipe. You can tell how well the previous engine ran...

Oh and sexy samcos

Post Thanks / Like

So you spent at least 300 quid on samcos and decided to spend 50 quid on an engine

Post Thanks / Like

always thinking our Keiran ;-)

good work mate, now sort the shells and get the darn thing boosting

Post Thanks / Like

Well the samcos were a bargain! hehehe
    Glad i see them installed fella!

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed the Samcos were a bargain!

The engine was just a risk I was willing to take, it was worth buying just for parts alone with the amount of stuff I got with it. It actually runs really well apart from the knock.

We're taking the sump off tonight to inspect and hopefully put a set of standard shells in there. I'll be over the moon if that fixes it

We ran it up to temperature the other night and it's idling really nicely, exhaust gas seems clean, bit of black as you'd expect when you rev it. There was a period where there was a lot of oily smoke coming out but that seemed to clear after a bit of a rev. Probably just residue as it's all been sat around for a while.

When the new bearings are in i'll run it up to temperature properly and let it burn all the **** off and see where we are at then.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks all good mate! I know the feeling Of getting it all done after so long all pays off

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good where did you get Samos from ??

Post Thanks / Like

Are these the winner racing hoses? How much did they end up costing with postage to uk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Indeed the Samcos were a bargain!

The engine was just a risk I was willing to take, it was worth buying just for parts alone with the amount of stuff I got with it. It actually runs really well apart from the knock.

We're taking the sump off tonight to inspect and hopefully put a set of standard shells in there. I'll be over the moon if that fixes it

We ran it up to temperature the other night and it's idling really nicely, exhaust gas seems clean, bit of black as you'd expect when you rev it. There was a period where there was a lot of oily smoke coming out but that seemed to clear after a bit of a rev. Probably just residue as it's all been sat around for a while.

When the new bearings are in i'll run it up to temperature properly and let it burn all the **** off and see where we are at then.
    My brother fired his up for the first time a couple weeks ago, It was smokey as sin. Took it out for a quick blast cleared its guts and all was fine. Looks fresh tho mate good work. Hope you get it sorted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andyturbo! View Post
    Are these the winner racing hoses? How much did they end up costing with postage to uk?
    They are indeed. I would HIGHLY recommend them. Make sure you tighten the bleed nipples though, they only come hand tight.

Cost £135 delivered and came within 5 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GT Josh View Post
    My brother fired his up for the first time a couple weeks ago, It was smokey as sin. Took it out for a quick blast cleared its guts and all was fine. Looks fresh tho mate good work. Hope you get it sorted!
    That's promising! We whipped the sump off a couple of days ago and found the loose rod. You could move it up/down and side to side on the crank so the shell was definitely knackered.

Whipped the cap off and could immediately see the shell had been hammered flat along the bottom, but thankfully the crank and rod looked in good shape.

We put some new standard shells in and now the rod is nice and tight and it turns over nicely.

Found a **** load of mayo in the sump though so we'll clean all of that out tonight, put the sump back on, fill with fresh oil and then run it up to temperature.

I'm really hoping that's the end of it and I can actually take it for a little spin around the industrial estate to see how it drives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    They are indeed. I would HIGHLY recommend them. Make sure you tighten the bleed nipples though, they only come hand tight.

Cost £135 delivered and came within 5 days.
    Nice one mate defo thinking of ordering a set. Hope the old girl runs good after all the hard graft

Post Thanks / Like

Not an idea to get the crank machined/checked??

Post Thanks / Like

Engine is still in the car, literally just dropped the sump off. Trying to avoid removing the engine if possibe.

There weren't any scores on the crank, it all looks good so I think it'll be fine with some new shells. The others looked fairly new anyway so looks like someone might have hammered it around a corner and starved it of oil

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, just be gutted if something else happened.

Post Thanks / Like

True, but i'm feeling lucky