Post Thanks / Like

Putting my 5 back together

Can anyone tell me what vac pipes are needed and where they need to go?

I've got no idea what all the ports are on the carb.

On the drivers side I presume the two larger ones are for fuel, the top being supply and the bottom return?

Where do the vac pipes go, I think one goes from the base to one of the ports on the actuator (standard turbo)

Also, i've got no idea where the water pipes go. I've printed off a few guides from here as i've got some new silicone pipes to fit. Does anyone have any pictures of a minimal water circuit?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Putting my 5 back together

Are you pipeing your boost as the cup mod or standard?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=538

If you havn't already found it. As said above depends if your running the cup mod or standard set-up as to where vac pipes go.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Deffo works better the cup mod way mine seemed to feel smoother and maybe a little quicker and more responsive, or it did wen i had found the right sidr of the actuator to use haha. id also go with the breather mod aswell. makes the bay alot tidier if nothing else lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hi mate, heres some pictures for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pictures

I guess it would make sense to run the cup mod. Does anyone have this setup in pictures? I have no idea which ports on the carb need blanking

Also does anyone have pictures of where the fuel pipes go?

Tried fitting my new samco hoses tonight. Got most of them in place but no idea what goes to the carb or the rear right of the inlet manifold. Also can't figure out where turbo water return goes

Nightmare!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

if your wanting to do the boost cup mod you need to take a vac hose from the 1st port on the actuator to the passenger side of the carb on the top inlet hole thingy near the enrichment chamber duberry lol leaving port on the actuator open if you have a two port actator that is, then blank off the hole that will be in the turbo elbow you will need an m12 bolt for that and thats it if i remember correctly. the breather mod i dont remember 100% either but you remove the breather pipe going to the telephone hose and the one going to the inlet manifold i think where the 1 way valve is and blank both holes off then take a pipe off the top of the swirl pot through a catch tank and to a breather filter, hope that helps

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

also on the passenger side of the lobster u will need to loop out the ports a small piece of vac hose is perfect for that

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a telephone hose unfortunately, nor any of the original pipework.

My 5 had been bodged massively by the previous owner.

I'm using the standard actuator but i'm not sure which port to use and which to leave open.

Also i've got a full set of samco coolant hoses for the engine bay that are pre-moulded into shape. Is it possible to run a minimal water circuit using the standard pipes, ie bypassing the inlet and carb, or should I just run them all?

I've got a few left over (some are supposed to be breathers) but i've just got no idea where the hell they go.

Post Thanks / Like

You can kinda see how far i've got here:

I think the turbo water feed is correct, you can see it by the rocker cover, but i can't figure out where the water return goes

I've got a single pipe from the water pump at the back going to the left port on the inlet manifold as the pipe appears to be the perfect shape for that, but can't see where the other side of the inlet should go to.

Also, there's a breather on top of the rocker cover - where does this go?

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone could post pictures of their coolant pipe arrangement around the carb/inlet/turbo that would be really handy

Also pictures of the carb showing the fuel pipes and vac pipes would be really useful

Post Thanks / Like

ill see what I can take at lunch time.

connect it to first first on actuator and leave the bottom one (closest to turbo open)

Post Thanks / Like

So the port nearest to you as you look in the bay from the front should have the pipe on, the one closest to the car vent to atmosphere?

If you can take pics if the coolant pipe arrangement on your carb/inlet/turbo and water pump that would be really really handy

thanks!

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Turbo coolant rtn goes to carb base,

carb base goes to inlet manifold, then inlet manifold to water pump, what you have so far looks ok.

Vac pipe are you running std setup??

non std setup is front port actuator goes to carb base, below the carb base / top of inlet manifold were carb bolts to is were you stick your AEI vac line, and aftermarket boost gauge and if you want to T in a D/V to this line also.

The 2 ports on the carb top passenger side can simply be U'd together, the single port on the drivers side is for the fpr and also get's T into the carb pump jet on the side.

Pic's of my old setup but not much of it was std

Post Thanks / Like

nice finch! looks like i dont need to take any pics!

Tidy engine bay!
    @Chunk ye the port nearest the front of the car to put hose on. leave other empty.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys that's fantastic! Thanks a lot.

Finch - your turbo water return goes over the cam cover. Is this correct?

I did have one of my pipes fitted like this as it looked like it might be right, trailed over the cam cover, but i couldn't help but think it looked wrong.

From what you've showed me I'm pretty confident i'll be able to get the vac pipes/fuel and coolant finished. I mentioned fuel return before... looking at your pics there isn't a fuel return (i'm only familier with the F7P/R engine) so that explains a lot.

Only thing left to understand is what breathers are needed and where they go. I've got a little plastic pot which is an oil breather for the sump I think but not sure what should be connected to this.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

i really need to take the bloody anti perc fan out n move my water over there n put the air filter where yours is finch.

Easy to remove the anti perc?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine never came with one nor the wiring for it for some reason. My loom was a right mess

I've replaced it with a spare now which has the wiring there but i've just chopped it off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Guys that's fantastic! Thanks a lot.

Finch - your turbo water return goes over the cam cover. Is this correct?

I did have one of my pipes fitted like this as it looked like it might be right, trailed over the cam cover, but i couldn't help but think it looked wrong.

From what you've showed me I'm pretty confident i'll be able to get the vac pipes/fuel and coolant finished. I mentioned fuel return before... looking at your pics there isn't a fuel return (i'm only familier with the F7P/R engine) so that explains a lot.

Only thing left to understand is what breathers are needed and where they go. I've got a little plastic pot which is an oil breather for the sump I think but not sure what should be connected to this.

Thanks again
    My turbo has no water feed's on it, that would be the actuator line you can see.

Fuel rtn i from the fpr which is mounted on the driver side turret and you can only really fet to it throught the driver side wing and removing the plastic cowling

Post Thanks / Like

Does the fuel return go to the carb?

I've got two pipes, one for fuel supply and one i think is a vac pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSamuelOfBuca View Post
    i really need to take the bloody anti perc fan out n move my water over there n put the air filter where yours is finch.

Easy to remove the anti perc?

Anti perc is very easy to remove, having the header tank were mine was makes for very short coolant run a pain in the arse to bleed as you have to give the header tank a quick blowey but is easy to do yourself and do the bleed screws up, I also didn't run any coolant pipes for the inlet manifold either.

Gives the filter a cooler area aswell shield it off and run a pipe from the front of the car directing cold air feed into the bair filter box or run a set of morrettes like a did

Post Thanks / Like

Does the fuel return go to the carb?

I've got two pipes, one for fuel supply and one i think is a vac pipe?

No fuel return is from fpr to tank, only a feed to carb from fpr

As you say one pipe is fuel supply the other is vac line

Post Thanks / Like

Finch did you ever get charge temp issues with you're fmic being there with heatsoak an all...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GT Josh View Post
    Finch did you ever get charge temp issues with you're fmic being there with heatsoak an all...

Not with that intercooler and rad setup it was a special build by Radtec, the intercooler was huge it sat on the subframe and pretty much sat against the alternator taking up the complete front end of the car and the rad was long and low and had 2 x spal fan's on it. The intercooler was known as the freezer a few peeps ran the same setup quiet a few years back now it wasn't cheap though I only no of 2 car's that still have the setup on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    No fuel return is from fpr to tank, only a feed to carb from fpr

As you say one pipe is fuel supply the other is vac line
    Great, thanks

I'll go back down the garage on Friday and continue where I left off and see where I get.

I noticed the vac pipe for the FPR is a funny shape and didn't directly line up with the nipple on the carb, was this originally connected through a T piece or something? does something else also need connecting there?

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks

I'll go back down the garage on Friday and continue where I left off and see where I get.

I noticed the vac pipe for the FPR is a funny shape and didn't directly line up with the nipple on the carb, was this originally connected through a T piece or something? does something else also need connecting there?

Yes it would went through a double T piece

Post Thanks / Like

Ah just had another look at your picture and answered my own question

Also found this:

Post Thanks / Like

So if I use a double T piece, one goes to the nipple on the carb beneath the fuel supply and the other one feeds the OE boost gauge on the dash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Not with that intercooler and rad setup it was a special build by Radtec, the intercooler was huge it sat on the subframe and pretty much sat against the alternator taking up the complete front end of the car and the rad was long and low and had 2 x spal fan's on it. The intercooler was known as the freezer a few peeps ran the same setup quiet a few years back now it wasn't cheap though I only no of 2 car's that still have the setup on.
    Oh my bad mate, I thought the intercooler was the size of what you can see one the picture

I wouldn't wanna drop a bleed nipple down there proper squeeze

Post Thanks / Like

@Finch

In this pic:

Do you have any other pics of the route the water pipe between the turbo water return and the carb takes? Looks like it goes over the top of the rocker cover?

Post Thanks / Like

how the bloody hell you get an engine bay so clean?

Mine is covered in oil and all sorts of **** haha

Post Thanks / Like

@Finch

In this pic:

Do you have any other pics of the route the water pipe between the turbo water return and the carb takes? Looks like it goes over the top of the rocker cover?
    the std route goes from base of turbo between rocker cover and dizzy cam and then over the rocker cover to carb base matey.

Mine was routed from waterpump to carb base

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, pretty sure i've got the water circuit complete now!

I had a slight issue - my throttle cable is mounted on the drivers side of the carb rather than on the passenger side like most others appear to be for some reason. Apparently this is the set up the Renault 9/11 use.

That made it difficult for one of the pipes to fit down from the carb base to the inlet but a zip tie should hold that down and away from the throttle cable.

Just need to sort out the vac pipes now and breathers!

Post Thanks / Like

Almost there matey personally i would do breather setup like this

Remove 1 of the one way valves on back of inlet one closeet passenger side as this is part of breather circuit, as said remove it and plug the hole, you then simply go from rocker cover to swirl pot and then to atmosphere or go straight from rocker cover to catch tank removing the sworl pot fully and blocking rhe sump return

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks.

Currently i've got the rocker breather going to the top of the swirl pot, the one way valve pipe comes round and there's a pipe coming from the swirl pot which I need to join together. Or like you say I could just get rid of the whole lot.

Not too worried about those as I know it'll run without them, just need to test the engine as i've actually got no idea if it even runs yet!