Post Thanks / Like

carb freeze?

i had to drive into work wednesday, i took the 5 for a run and it was freezing.
    anyway, it was a trip down the m1 to watford and when i came off and stoped the car just cut out and wouldn't start, or even turn over it eventually turned over and started straight away.
    then on the way home i came off the m1 at luton and the same thing, except it tarted straight away.
    i wedged the flap open in the intercooler the other night so would i have experienced some carb freeze or something more serious?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: carb freeze?

I take it you have the OE intercooler wedged open ??? I havent got the flap in mine at all and drive the car every day in all temps with no problems ?

Post Thanks / Like

my 5 is garaged due to the high mileage i do and it suffering with carb freeze alot.
    Been there since november.

What i find is when it starts stuttering, pull over and switch the engine off and wait 2 mins.
    The heat soak usually cures the problem.
    No point trying to start the car once it cuts out, you will just drain your battery.

Wedging open the intercooler will not have helped. It should shut n cold weather to stop you getting carb freeze. Nice benefit of keeping the OE intercooler over the big fornt mounts some of us have running.

Post Thanks / Like

get another intercooler and fit it for winter!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    I take it you have the OE intercooler wedged open ??? I havent got the flap in mine at all and drive the car every day in all temps with no problems ?
    its been a ver long while since ive worked on a 5 with a stock intercooler, but doesnt removing the flap all together mean the air can go through the intercooler without going through the core?

Post Thanks / Like

i have never had freeze with an o.e cooler also can't see it stoping the engine turning over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michael tierney View Post
    get another intercooler and fit it for winter!!
    i have a R19 cab for the winter.
    Plus i drive on the via gellia every day and with the amount of lorries and road sh8t, id rather not get the R5 filthed up.

So i dont worry to much about carb freeze, hence the cars wrapped up for the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maka View Post
    No point trying to start the car once it cuts out, you will just drain your battery.
    thing is, it didn't do anything when i tried turning the key, the dash lit up but thats about it? the clock didn't go off so i don't think it'd be the battery disconnecting somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

earth problem maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

when i used to use my 5 daily, i had a bit of cardboard that i used to use to block off the fmic to stop carb freeze. also make sure the carb water pipes are free from crap and letting warm water circulate.

Post Thanks / Like

the carb's got a good water suply, i recently played around with de-cluttering the coolant around there and checked it all out.
    i'm going to go out now for a look over and freeze my arse off

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say you got abit more of a problem then just carb freeze mate, sounds like a wiring prob to me if the car cuts out and doesn't want to turn over again.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a look around the wiring. i couldn't find anything obviously wrong so i just gave all the earthing points a quick nip-up.
    the car had a bad idle before, it would hunt from around 700rpm - 1200rpm, i just got it sitting nicely at around 850, maybe 900rpm, i wondered if that might've been why it cut out in the first place? say if i'd be going along at speed and then stopping may have let the revs gone too low? but that still wouldn't explain why it wouldn't turn back over

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scratcher View Post
    i had a look around the wiring. i couldn't find anything obviously wrong so i just gave all the earthing points a quick nip-up.
    the car had a bad idle before, it would hunt from around 700rpm - 1200rpm, i just got it sitting nicely at around 850, maybe 900rpm, i wondered if that might've been why it cut out in the first place? say if i'd be going along at speed and then stopping may have let the revs gone too low? but that still wouldn't explain why it wouldn't turn back over
    Yes they lumpy idle could be a cause of it cutting out, as for the engine not turning over it could another problem all together, wiring to starter motor could be at fault of even starter itself playing up.

Post Thanks / Like

i should've sorted the idle out a while ago really.
    the starter works fine when i start it normally, do they get a bit picky when they get hot? i'll trace the wiring around it after work tomorrow so its light, cheers for the advice man

Post Thanks / Like

they can do mate, if you havent got the starter motor heatshield / wrapped downpipe......on the other hand there are alot of people with neither of these who dont have a problem..its a wierd one

Post Thanks / Like

I had a simialr problem and chnaged the starter motor. problem solved.
    However this starter motor is starting to do it. They arent new motors im using.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maka View Post
    I had a simialr problem and chnaged the starter motor. problem solved.
    However this starter motor is starting to do it. They arent new motors im using.
    are you the fella that bought the starter off me a while back.? sure it was someone from mansfield.??
    i wish i would have kept that now as the new unit i bought just doesnt sound right.

Post Thanks / Like

not sure fella
    i think it came from cgb andtaken off a car they where breaking.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found get the fuelling set-up properly on mine I then didn't get anymore carb freeze even with a forge FMIC