Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel tank

I'm changing my main fuel tank on Friday. I've looked in the haynes and it looks easy. Anything i need to be aware of that the haynes doesnt say or any tips anyones got would be mucho appriciated.
    Thanks Jay

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel tank

lol, beware of siezed and rusted bolts. you can bet your bottom dollar that the siezed ones will be the ones that are hard to get to behind the beam

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll probably need a new auxillary fuel tank bracket (about £30 from Renault) it will probably fall apart on you from rust!

Just make a note of the breather pipes and the way they're routed.

Isn't there an article on the site somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

You will prob need two people to do this if its on axel stands?
    Make sure the tank is dry! I filled up the day before not realising I had a leak and emptying was a real pain in the ass (petrol everywhere).

I would defo say wear some eye protection as for all the dirt and dust falling can hurt.
    And one more thing....on re-fitting new/fixed tank make sure the jublie clip that joins main to reserve is on before you join them up. As trying to put it on after took me 40 buggering mins.
    Last edited by Misky; 04-12-2008 at 09:19.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can get under and start spraying Plus Gas or WD 40 a few days before doing it, this will help.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool and the gang. Cheers peeps

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What a pain in the arse ! I knew i'd jinxed myself when i said it looked easy the other day. New problem, which way round do the pipes go onto the fuel sender ? I thought i'd get it right because they are all slightly different sizes arent they ? Anyway, when you look through the hole under the seat does the one with the t-piece go onto the right hand outlet on the sender as it doesnt seem long enough. Just want to check i've got them the right way round before i drop the tank again to see if i've routed this breather wrong or got it snagged on something

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I did mention to make a note of them didn't I! From memory (bad) I think that pipe does go on the right hand outlet though...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Right, as you'll know if you've read the rest of the thread i've just changed the main fuel tank on my car. Well after i'd connected everything back up i put 20 litres of fuel in and started it up and let it run for 5 mins while i checked there were no leaks or anything. No problems so far. Well today i went out in the car for about 35 mins and all of a sudden it started juddering when i tried to put my foot down.
    So i drove slowly to the nearest garage ( about 1 mile ) so i could have a look what the feck was going on.
    After looking for anything obvious like pipes that had come off and finding nothing wrong i thought i'd drive home slowly so i could investigate tommorow in the daylight.
    Well i went to pull off and it cut out and now it wont start ! It turns over fine but just wont fire up. Back under the bonnet i pulled the king lead off and it was getting a good spark. Next up i took off the fuel supply pipe and turned it over and nothings coming out ?
    So i'm thinking it must be something i've messed up when changing the tank but what doesnt make sense is why it was working fine for about 40 mins in total first ?
    If i turn it over whilst lying on the floor i should be able to hear if the pump comes on should'nt i ? Also if i cant hear the pump coming on does anyone know which wires you have to bridge to eliminate the fuel pump relay.
    Any other ideas would be greatly appriciated as at the moment my cars stranded at the garage and im massively pissed off

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like the relay gave up the ghost... its the big red wire an big white wire u need to bridge..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers dude, hopefully it is just something as simple as that. Just seems like too much of a coincedence to me though.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

its quite common for the relays to go.. the cars are all a good 15yrs old, but its the easiest thing to try first as wont cost u nothin to bridge the wires

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, as sam said mate.......get a mate to listen for the pump whining whilst you crank the engine over

If not, find the fuel pump relay behing the fuse box, pull it out and bridge the white and red wires.....the pump should them come on constantly

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woo-hoo
    It was the fuel pump realay after all ! Weird coincedance but at least it now runs.
    Next question, at the moment i've bridged the white and red wires so that the pumps on constantly. Is it true if you bridge the white and yellow wires the pump only comes on with the ignition ?
    Also i've been looking through some old threads and there seems to be some confusion as to whether you can still get new relays from Renault or GSF. Can anyone confirm this ?
    Cheers Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you sorted it mate.

Not sure about bridging the white and yellow wires. As for a fuel pump relay, not sure if GSF sell them, somebody on the site must have one kicking around ?? Try the classifieds

If not, renault still do them - 77 00 771 720

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cgb do them at a good price

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    Glad you sorted it mate.

Not sure about bridging the white and yellow wires. As for a fuel pump relay, not sure if GSF sell them, somebody on the site must have one kicking around ?? Try the classifieds

If not, renault still do them - 77 00 771 720
    If you are lucky they may have one left in stock, but they were taken off of Renaults prise list a while ago now. They last production run from France was over 18 months ago.
    Last edited by phase i 16 v turbo; 11-12-2008 at 09:34.