Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your mistakes....what are they?

Lots of little injuries over the years, put me hand into a running engine bay to tighten a jubilee got fan belt burn across back of hand, fitting exhaust support bracket on my 5 dropped it smacked me in gob, working with dodgy grinder with faulty on/off switch got frustrated and pushed that hard on switch that I pushed grinder into me other hand taking skin clean off one knuckle and made chucks for a bit as I could see my knuckle bone very clearly as I moved it then the pain kicked in. Could go on and on.

Post Thanks / Like

i was tightening up the alternator hinge bolt with a spanner, without disconnecting the battery. - the spanner shorted out on the positve and sparked loads.

i thought nothing more of it until the next day my finger was sore.

i was working in a laboratory at the time, so had access to microscope.

i found that the sparks had embedded themselves in my nail.... but one of them had burned through my nail and had curled up under it in the nail bed....

i had the scrape the nail away with a stanley blade and dig it out. - i was a curved shard - it took alot of digging!

Post Thanks / Like

Not at injury but one of the biggest things ive done that i regret doing is trying to take the ignition barrel out without droppind the column. Pulling it through the dash hole with a screw driver hense ruining my dash

Post Thanks / Like

Personal favourite was when i was still an apprentice and decided to split the hub from the wheelbearing carrier on an old clio , drive shaft wasn`t keen to come out so got out the big sliding hammer to give it a wee tap to help loosen it off, well was there for 5 minutes giving it hell when just as it came loose my pinky on my right hand slipped and went inbetween the sliding part and the stop at the end, I knew it was bad as I couldn`t feel it, luckily i had gloves on so couldn`t see how bad it was so finished the wheel bearing (blood dripping everywhere) then got it looked at , nail was gone and was a bit of a mess, got it taped and cleaned up , no broken bones so all good, I only really felt pain when i took the glove off and could see the damage , suppose mind over matter and all that !

I remember the girl in reception who was the trained first aider asking if it was bad as she was freaked out by blood ha ha just what i needed!