Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project 12 Seconds!!

It was 42lb I was in France a few weeks back now and this is the biggest fish i caught.

Perfect picture for a car forum

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a clonker phil.

Post Thanks / Like

What lake in France Phil

Post Thanks / Like

It was Old Oaks booked through Angling Lines, around 15mins outside le mans, biggest fish of the week from our party was 52lb,

4 of us booked the lake exclusive and we all had a 40

It was our first French fishing trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Cracking stuff mate I just done 2 nights on yateley pads lake complex and was the only one to catch had a nice 28.9 mirror also going back to France next year in April mate great place wicked venue with massive carp to 74 check it out mate its lac Le pins

Post Thanks / Like

Will do Phil

So back on to cars, as I'm changing the engine bearings while it's all apart I would like everyone's opinion on dropping the crank but then re-using the crankshaft oil seal, is this just uber pikey! Lol And should I just buy a bottom end set and replace for new

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been in that predicament before, I would just get a bottom end gasket set and be done with it. You tight arse

Post Thanks / Like

Managed a few hours today on the five, the main bearings were still like new so I didn't need to drop the crank

installed the new piston and liner and changed all the big ends, they were lightly scored from all the sand (exhaust paste) and bits of valve stem oil seals I found in the sump.

Journals were all A1 still, luckily as was the cam and followers.

The bottom end is complete now and turning over freely, just the lovely job of sealing the sump up with the engine in the car now looking forward to that like a visit to the clap clinic

The head needs assembling and fitting then to plumb it all up and get it running.

Good to be finally putting bits back on as opposed to stripping them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Good read. Most build threads on here with other engines in the 5 is a sad sight. Keep at it and remember the c1j is the soul of the 5!
    Last edited by robw; 21-11-2013 at 10:08.

Post Thanks / Like

The sole of the 5?

The sole?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you agree Trev ha

Post Thanks / Like

Well I would agree that it's the soul of the GTT, but not the sole.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to be honest, once I have done a 12 I was toying with the idea of doing a conversion, simply because unless you spend some wonga 300hp isn't an option with the c1j.

Maybe I'm being greedy, Above 200hp is fun so any more must be Hence the want

Post Thanks / Like

Never quite the same when somebody asks what's under the bonnet and you tell them it's a clio engine rather than the 1.4 lump and with high figures you then have the costs of trying to put the power down. Too much power and not enough thought will see your times going backwards

Post Thanks / Like

I have finally managed to get in a small bit of time over Christmas to work on the car,

Everything is more or less ready to put back together,

Here's the replacement piston with new rings and a new liner.

I have also replaced the rod/cap bearings as they were lightly scored from the exhaust paste that made it's way into the sump.

I Have also assembled the cylinder head with the piper valve springs

I didn't get any shots of the head with all the manifolds/waterpump bolted up.

However a snapped head bolt has stopped play, It was bolt number 4 and I was only going to 75nm it went with a bang, luckily it snapped at the top of the threaded part and I managed to get the broken stud out of the block.

Miffed because it's a waste of a headgasket, it was compressed with three bolts and the others were pretty tight, part of me wants to re-use the gasket and 1 old bolt and just crack on with it, then another part of me says stop being pikey and get a new gasket and bolts sorted.
    Last edited by GTphil; 03-01-2014 at 20:38.

Post Thanks / Like

Throw caution to the wind and get a MLS chucked in, multiple use out of one gasket hahaha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    It was Old Oaks booked through Angling Lines, around 15mins outside le mans, biggest fish of the week from our party was 52lb,

4 of us booked the lake exclusive and we all had a 40

It was our first French fishing trip.
    Old oakes has had good reviews from friends. Done Dreamlakes twice, once drive and survive and the other was a 3x meals a day holiday on a coach jobbie

Same here weve ALL always had a 40+ but it gets repetitive catching 10-25lb cats, slimy hands play havoc with the rizla!

Post Thanks / Like

I like my headgasket to go before a liner, if I was to get an MLS gasket and have a small slip up whilst setting up it would be a liner that took the brunt, if the engine was a little more special I would. I'm actually using a standard gasket

The fact you can re-use the MLS does make it cost effective when trying to tune the motor for power, just would rather leave the sump in place the next time it breaks.

Old Oaks really was great, Mehdi the bloke who own's old oaks (he also owns larroussi) just pretty much left us to it all week, he was on hand on the phone for any advice or if we needed more bait.

The lake was just a little to small for my liking I have a taste for massive more wild type waters, a week probably wouldn't be enough

As a weeks holiday and a chance to relax it was just what the doctor ordered

I can still almost taste the fillet steak we got from the local butchers.

Also do not under any circustances try a French offal sausage, it really was the worst thing I have ever tasted

Post Thanks / Like

I like my headgasket to go before a liner, if I was to get an MLS gasket and have a small slip up whilst setting up it would be a liner that took the brunt, if the engine was a little more special I would. I'm actually using a standard gasket

The fact you can re-use the MLS does make it cost effective when trying to tune the motor for power, just would rather leave the sump in place the next time it breaks.

Old Oaks really was great, Mehdi the bloke who own's old oaks (he also owns larroussi) just pretty much left us to it all week, he was on hand on the phone for any advice or if we needed more bait.

The lake was just a little to small for my liking I have a taste for massive more wild type waters, a week probably wouldn't be enough

As a weeks holiday and a chance to relax it was just what the doctor ordered

I can still almost taste the fillet steak we got from the local butchers.

Also do not under any circustances try a French offal sausage, it really was the worst thing I have ever tasted
    If I crack a liner that will be a first, I normally crack the pistons!

Similar story here....

had 2 very good friends who had both has 45+ within 2 days. On day three they decided to go into St Dizier after a bottle of 45%brandy each and ashamedly a couple of gram of mdma each also. By lunch on day four the bivvys were still mini padlocked and my mates nowhere to be seen.... The English bloke who runs the lease gave us a lift into town when he went to get the daily food run. In the butchers we were told through translation that 2 English lads were in there the day before using poor gcse French off their cake, saying "du lait ou fromage" and making the international sign of spreading butter on bread. After shooing them away after 15 minutes the owner was most displeased from comments as "j'ai deteste le francais, le merde"

They spent the night in a shed behind a bar called "martinis" and got lost back to the fishery..... We found them eating rotisserie chicken with the guts still inside from a dual carriageway esque van 13 miles in the opposite direction at 7pm on day 4. Day 5 the spent all day zipped up hahahahaha....

Funniest trip in my life EVER.

Post Thanks / Like

At last the engine is in one piece!

I have amassed quite a few engine casualties over the years, damaged pistons and bent valves damaged rod/cap and bearings. Could probably build a c1j blindfolded

Also this head is so clean I felt like chucking some dirty oil over it so it fits in with the rest of the bay not to worry i'm sure it won't take long to "blend in"

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good phil, not long before your back on rd hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quality lad it would be good if we had deep pockets, I'm sure we would put something silly togeather, these 200 bhp c1js are getting easy

Post Thanks / Like

With the money from yours go balls out and but a Meg 225 in it, sponsored by josh! Im sure he'd let you have a go lad.

Post Thanks / Like

A few developments,

It's almost ready to fire up literally one tappet left to adjust. (dad duty called at just the wrong time)

On a slightly less positive note I have lost the garage space to keep/work on the car. My buddy needs the space to build his new kitchen. Plus he has just purchased a series 2 Lotus Esprit! can't complain at all. It's been in there for almost 4 years and as hard as I have tried he wouldn't let me pay him anything.

So I have until the 10th of Feb to try my best to get the raider running/mot'd/insured, that should be fun on a part time wage

I have a few other options as far as storage is concerned, if they don't work out it will more than likely have to go back outside and then into a counsel garage. Main issue really is because my time is so limited, I work 3 days and have my twins the rest of the time, as the Mrs works 12 hour shifts. I normally work on the car in the evenings after she gets home from work, however in a counsel garage with no power that will prove rather difficult to say the least.

So it may be a case of pushing on to get the 12 second quater then having to face facts and sell up

I will however try my best to keep hold of it as after 8 years (will be 9 this July) I'm kind of attached to it.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

good read, nice catch good luck

a

Post Thanks / Like

I have to keep mine in a rented council garage Phil.Its far from ideal but better than it been outside.

Post Thanks / Like

You could always get a generator for the council garage?? that's how we had to do it after losing our big garage and maybe sound deaden it if there are houses around. Just an idea

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Park it outside the house, apart from the weather it's far easier to nip out for half hour to tinker. May be worth giving robin a shout as he has a similar situ?

Post Thanks / Like

Finally..... The old French slag is running!

tied up a few loose ends hooked up the battery and after a few seconds the dirty old mare fired into life! Let it warm till the cooling fan kicked in then knocked it off. Will let it cool overnight then re-tourq the head bolts and redo the tappets.

The lump sounded smooth as silk was a nice sound after so long.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Phil, can't wait to see this ripping it up at Santa pod. (If you don't blow it up before hand my missus just said) cheeky sod

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate... That must be the longest engine build in history

Now I want to see a burn out vid once you've done the bits tomorrow just to make sure nothing else is going to break

Post Thanks / Like

Finally..... The old French slag is running!

tied up a few loose ends hooked up the battery and after a few seconds the dirty old mare fired into life! Let it warm till the cooling fan kicked in then knocked it off. Will let it cool overnight then re-tourq the head bolts and redo the tappets.

The lump sounded smooth as silk was a nice sound after so long.
    Well done phil.You deserved to knock one off.Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

It got better than that, just after I turned it off my Buddy turned up with his newly acquired

1979 series 2 Lotus Esprit. (the one that turns into a sub in the bond movie)

It's the 2l n/a version, took it out for a spin, it was awesome, definitely what you would call a 70's driving experience.

And yes it's not the first time today I have heard the blowing up comment, and Dave your right really no better way to test it out I'm still not going to tho, don't have cahoenies big enough

Post Thanks / Like

A Few more progress pictures from todays efforts

I just love this bms downpipe it's a work of art fits almost better than the o.e downpipe

All ready for it's MOT went through it today, had to use the hammer method on the windscreen washer motor, a few swift hits and it fired back into life, the horn sounds like it's asthmatic it's a good job mr MOT man is a friendly chap

As you can see i'm definitely a function over form guy when it comes to my GTT

Bodywork wise the screen surround is becoming a bit of a mess, so that's the next big job to tackle. I want to get the goal of the whole thread achieved before I tackle that, if I don't get a 12 second run this summer then next winter I more than likely get it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    Can't wait to see this get into the 12s soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to have run into more carb trouble so I was wondering if anybody could shed some light or come up with some suggestions as to what to check next.

Basically my wonderfully smooth fueling carb that a "lent" to my bro was sold with his phase 1, he has compensated me financially for it so he's not a complete ****! just partly one

So I'm stuck trying to sort his old shit box of a carb out, the first thing I need to tackle is the huge hesitation it's got when the throttle is applied suddenly.

The accelerator pump jet was set using the 5mm drill bit method, also I can say for sure there are no air leaks at all.

The hesitation is so bad that it sometimes cuts out, if your smooth with the throttle however it will be fine.

The AFR gauge shows off the scale lean during the hesitation.

Post Thanks / Like

Does sound like a acc pump or jet problem.Check the diagphram for the pump.Also check the bush in the bowl,im sure thats where the pump gets the fuel from.Check the acc jet make sure its not blocked or that the ball bearing inside is stuck.
    Last edited by casper; 19-01-2014 at 22:09. Reason: bxb

Post Thanks / Like

Will give them a whirl and see what I can find, do my head in these carbs sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

The removable bush in the bowl is the accelerator pump valve

Post Thanks / Like

Just to update how things are getting on in the correct place, the carb issues are all sorted and it was down to the accelerator delivery tube/jet was full of rubbish. It now starts on the button and has no flat spot and also fuels well so far.

I also had a little issue with the oil pressure not being what it was. I was using 10-40 semi synth. Changed the oil back to 10-60 fully synth and the pressure was as it used to be before

Managed to insure it for £246 with ALL mods declared. A little more expensive than I first thought but still, I suppose I shouldn't complain beats paying 2k like I used to when I was in my early 20's

I have also managed to take it up the private road for a quick tinkle at 1bar boost, gave it a bit of stick and hit 7k in first/second/third then ran out of road and it's still in one piece.

Needs an MOT and some tax and it should be sorted. Can't see any reason why it won't pass. Ran out of funds now so will have to wait for a week or so.

Got a little bit of mayo that I have been getting all paranoid about, however this has happened every time I have had the lump apart before so I'm just going to put a few miles on it (20 odd to the mot station and back) and hope it goes away.

Then it will be time to sort my storage issue out or get one of those covers that romil is sorting out a group buy on.

Then start to play about with the bleed valve and break it again.

Hoping that with 23/24psi and 4 degree's of advance it should make the numbers required for a 12. When I broke it at Scoffs the run before it made 215hp 210ft'lbs at 22psi with the ignition advance, then it broke on the very next run typically.

This head it thicker than the last so I will be down slightly more than before on compression so may have to go even further with the ignition timing. Of course this is if it all holds together.
    Last edited by GTphil; 29-01-2014 at 13:56.

Post Thanks / Like

MOT time today, it's in at 11:15. Got a little bit of mayo in the rocker cover, everytime this happens after it's been apart and everytime I get worried about it hopefully a good run will burn it off. Looking forward to taking it out.

I will make sure I have my tools with me

Post Thanks / Like

Great news Phil. Tools are a must for a 5. Lol i didnt have a clue about anything mechanicaly minded before i started driving my 5. Now i can help diagnose and fix most of my issues.

Looking forward to seeing your car on the rd.

Post Thanks / Like

good stuff chap, good luck

mayo always forms when an engine isn't used for a while, grip it and rip it and it'll be reet!

Post Thanks / Like

Passed, no advisories, 46/47psi oil pressure at 3k rpm, no overheating, no tools required, mayo all burnt off, spanked the living shit out of it on the way home!

Awesome!!
    Last edited by GTphil; 04-02-2014 at 14:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so on the drive home I was watching the afr's to see what difference the .6mm first stage jet and double washered second stage made and I'm pleased to say I didn't see a 10 on the afr gauge at all

Cruising it's 13/14 afr then when I hit the loud pedal it actually goes leaner to 15 afr then slowly creeps back down into the 12's as the boost comes on. Drives fine, if anything a little more perkier than before off boost.

Are those lean afr's when applying the throttle ok or do I need to adjust the accelerator pump arm?

Post Thanks / Like

Are those lean afr's when applying the throttle ok or do I need to adjust the accelerator pump arm?
    check when flat out through 3rd into 4th into 5th.
    If its slight lean when the pedal is going down its bad, I cracked a liner when changing from 4th into 5th flat out racing with a clio 182 on a erm private road

Think I cured mine by tweaking the accel rod nut half a turn till it was gone

Post Thanks / Like

I thought 15 afr was a little to lean, will have a dabble with the pump arm. Did notice a difference in the WOT afr's last week before the .6 first stage and shimmed second stage it was 11.2afr now it's more like 12.2 afr but that's only with a bar boost.

Its
    120 main
    .9 a/c
    1.4mm second stage
    .6 first stage
    two curved washers behind the spring in the enrichment block.