Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harsh suspension

Going to order some new bushes soon but until then imam going to take the 35mm springs off and try some standard hight springs I have got. See if that makes any difference.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We should define the meaning of harsh.

The polyurethane bushes are said to be harsh meaning they convey more road noise and vibration into the car.

The OP I think is not talking about that but about the whole car being bumped up and dropping due to excessively stiff shock absorber settings. Instead of the suspension absorbing those bumps and hollows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    We should define the meaning of harsh.

The polyurethane bushes are said to be harsh meaning they convey more road noise and vibration into the car.

The OP I think is not talking about that but about the whole car being bumped up and dropping due to excessively stiff shock absorber settings. Instead of the suspension absorbing those bumps and hollows.
    Yes. That is what I mean. Generally I find the ride quality very poor. I have tried various set ups so far and not found one I am happy with.

I will get oe bushes and oe shocks and springs. Surely the rude quality will improve then. Just to confirm, I am not after track handling just something for comfortable road driving.

Post Thanks / Like

You're better off with Koni yellows than OE.

OE had, at least, a very hard bump setting and they used soft springs.

I used Konis and hard springs and had a softer but better controlled ride. As have load of other members here which is why Koni yellows keep being recommended over everything else. Unless people specifically want or need height adjustables.

If cost is not a problem then you could perhaps look at the H & R mono tube coil overs which are height adjustable and seem to be rated as better shocks than KW (which are twin tubes)

Having said that KW does have this trick up their sleeve: http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/salt-spray-test.php

Post Thanks / Like

Going by what Ian has said right from the start of this thread.

Use these :- http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=160799307209

Ive got a barely used set of Apex 35mm springs for sale if you need them.
    That will sort the front and you were happy with the back, so problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    Going by what Ian has said right from the start of this thread.

Use these :- http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=160799307209

Ive got a barely used set of Apex 35mm springs for sale if you need them.
    That will sort the front and you were happy with the back, so problem solved.
    i got some apex 35mm springs already thanks..
    i am going to go with those koni shocks. they look like the best option for smooth/soft ride quality.
    thanks for all the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adscan View Post
    i got some apex 35mm springs already thanks..
    i am going to go with those koni shocks. they look like the best option for smooth/soft ride quality.
    thanks for all the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Konis may have (had?) a good warranty but they don't last forever. I bought better looking ones than those and one was worn and useless. I sent them back to Koni in Sunbury, sound west of London, for a recon and they told me they were not worth doing and too many parts were needed; mainly the shiny rod had excessive wear and is very a expensive part.

They shock should move smoothly and evenly all the way in and out. One didn't. It offered too little resistance and squelched. And the adjustment seemed jammed.

I was replacing low mileage Spax which the left front was bouncing and wheel spinning when moving off. It had lost it's rebound and bump resistance. The same has happened with the left front Apex that's on my Fiat now. Seems OK when cold and the front corner is pushed down and released, but when moving, the left front has no control and does the same thing of bouncing when moving off in the wet especially when traction is easy to break. It's leaking too. It's perhaps done 25,000 miles. Not great compared to the originals at perhaps 75 miles and working fine; well not leaking and the same as they were when I got the car at four years old and 54,000 miles.

As it's CGB, a well known business, selling these we can expect he knows how to check shocks and will refund if they are found faulty once fitted?

It's a cheap way to try them out though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post

As it's CGB, a well known business, selling these we can expect he knows how to check shocks and will refund if they are found faulty once fitted?
    Having had dealings with Bob in the past on numerous occasions, i know you will not be dissapointed with his customer service if you happen to have a problem.

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I've fitted the std 13" tyres back on my Tungy. And now the car is much more comfortable.
    The 15" Willis with 195/45 weighted 15kg but the std. phase II alloys with 195/55 only 11.9kg.
    I do not know if it is only because of the side wall height of the tyre or the weight, but I really prefer the feeling with the 13" rims.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harsh suspension - KONI INFORMATION NEEDED...

Adam buddy did you end up sourcing KONI’s if so what are they like and where did you get them from?

Asking as thinking of getting a set…but not sure who to buy them from

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

ibought those shocks from bob. Il see what there like once my 5 is back up and running. On the look out for some rear koni's now to match

Post Thanks / Like

How long have your Gaz Struts been fitted? Were they new when you fitted them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ALI 786 View Post
    Adam buddy did you end up sourcing KONI’s if so what are they like and where did you get them from?

Asking as thinking of getting a set…but not sure who to buy them from

Cheers
    I recently got a set of koni's, very good set of shocks great on the road. Got mine from larkspeed, but they need to be made up took about 4weeks they said 8 so I was pleased with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    I recently got a set of koni's, very good set of shocks great on the road. Got mine from larkspeed, but they need to be made up took about 4weeks they said 8 so I was pleased with that.
    SCHWARTZ I have had a look at the Larkspeed website & there are a few different sets available i.e. front & rear separate / STR.T or did you buy the Koni Sport Adjustable Suspension Kits [4Shocks + 40mm lowering springs]....Also how does the car sit with them on?

Thanks for you reply

Post Thanks / Like

i went for the koni sport range (yellow) and have -35 springs. the car is a good height as i can just get over the small square bumps without catching the sidey and no probs on normal bumps. they are very forgiving unlike my avo's and still handles really well, perfect shocks for a more road based car imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    i went for the koni sport range (yellow) and have -35 springs. the car is a good height as i can just get over the small square bumps without catching the sidey and no probs on normal bumps. they are very forgiving unlike my avo's and still handles really well, perfect shocks for a more road based car imo.
    Nice one that is exactly what I will be ordering next month