Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine oil flush

Hi,
    I have changed my head gasket and when i lifted the head off the block the water that was in it ran into the block, so when i put it all back together i changed the oil and presumed that the water would of ran into the sump and a oil and filter change would of been all that was needed to get rid of it all. Now that i have done that and have run the engine which seems fine. after checking the oil it seems to have gone slightly creamy, I think this is bits of water that was trapped as i didnt want to run the engine with any water in the oil so i just drained it without running the engine first. So the question is do i just change the oil again and hope that does it or is there a flush i can use to help make sure that all the water is removed.
    Or is it normal that there would be a bit of water residue in there.
    Sorry to seem stupid but i would rather be safe then sorry,
    The oil hasnt gone white or got mayo in it, it just has a hint of creamness to it.
    thanks andy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine oil flush

a hint of creamness ? you donnot want a hint of anything creamy in there mate, just water and anti/freeze.

Post Thanks / Like

you filled it with expensive oil?

what i normally do when i do the first couple of changes on a new car, is to change the oil to cheap muck from the motor factors.... run it for about 100 miles, then dump it and put in some nice stuff.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

This is always a pain, special if you have left the car standing a while before doing the job! Don't use Engine oil flush as it doesn't do the turbo any favours. I have found the best way is to put fresh oil (cheap) and a new filter let the engine get hot, this will hopefully burn off any excess water and get what is left in the engine hot and thin. Then drain the contents of the sump again and then change both the filter and oil again, this time use good quality oil.
    This usually does the job, but I have had one where I ended up taking the sump off too scrape out the bottom of it.
    Hope this is useful.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said - the key to getting water out of the oil system is to get the oil hot enough to cause the water to boil off and be separated by the breather system. So in order to do that you want a cheap oil (because it's going to suffer from being mixed with water), to get the engine up to operating temperature for a couple of hours, and a working breather system...

Tesco, Asda and Morrisons do pretty cheap semi-synthetic oil - the actual grade isn't too important, as you're not going to do more than a hundred miles or so on it, but pick something fairly light - 30 or 40 will do.

Obviously don't thrash the engine when it's got cheap oil with bits of water in it. Just let it warm up gently and keep a reasonabale temperature.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok,
    Thanks guys,
    Oil is 10-40 semi synthetic. (Is this whats best?)
    So it wont hurt the engine if i use it fairly gently while it burns the remaining bits of water off.
    thanks Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, 10W40 semi synthetic is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Dudley member.....tip top.....

Your car's not white as well is it?.........