Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhhhh!

Just got a £60 fine and 3 points on my liscence for tinted windows! wtf?!

The fine I can ALMOST understand but points?!

Anyone else had this problem.

I was just about to renew my insurance for the 5...oh well, looks like that will be going up!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ahhhhhhh!

that cant be right

Post Thanks / Like

i used to get fines but never points for tints. i stopped using them in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW View Post
    that cant be right
    Thats what i thought! Apparantly you have to have 70% light coming through. I had 30%, but my agruement was, as a member of the public and assuming I bought the car that way how can I tell?! He said its an MOT fail but most MOT stations dont ahve the equipment to test so I was like....ummmmm so HOW can i tell again then?! Cause it just passed MOT a week ago. He just said I could appeal. They were nice about it but ruthless.

Post Thanks / Like

Points for tinted windows!?! Seems very harsh to me. I know the law carry kit that measures the light blah blah but to give you points!?

Didnt someone say earlier in another thread that the forst 3 points, generally, dont effect your premium? Pleased to say i wouldnt know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    i used to get fines but never points for tints. i stopped using them in the end.

Yeah, I know what you mean, when i was younger I always got hassle for it but this car suited it and I couldnt be assed to get it takin off

I regret it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Just got a £60 fine and 3 points on my liscence for tinted windows! wtf?!

The fine I can ALMOST understand but points?!

Anyone else had this problem.

I was just about to renew my insurance for the 5...oh well, looks like that will be going up!
    dont pay the fine...they will send you a court date....explain to the magistrates that you have taken them off...(you know mate, play dumb) dont except the 3 points. if you pay the fine, you are excepting the points

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW View Post
    dont pay the fine...they will send you a court date....explain to the magistrates that you have taken them off...(you know mate, play dumb) dont except the 3 points. if you pay the fine, you are excepting the points
    mmmmmm maybe, had I actually bought the car that way I would def fight it but I have had the car from new. But maybe Ill just play dumb and get it taken off and appeal....

...food for thought anyway. Cheers.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=MikeA;22281]mmmmmm maybe, had I actually bought the car that way I would def fight it but I have had the car from new. quote]

You got the car when you were 5?

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Bigfoot;22282]
    mmmmmm maybe, had I actually bought the car that way I would def fight it but I have had the car from new. quote]

You got the car when you were 5?
    hahahahah no no no. It was on my other car...a Mk 6 Fiesta.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=MikeA;22284]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post

hahahahah no no no. It was on my other car...a Mk 6 Fiesta.
    Thats nothing to be smiling about owning a ford

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Bigfoot;22286]

Hahahaha whatever!

Its my day to day car.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Bigfoot;22286]

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

a common fault with alot of fords, lexus, jaguar and chrylser is the front windows are often fitted with the wrong tinted film.

You can go to court and argue that you wasnt aware of this etc etc, but since being pulled over you have looked on the internet and found evidence to support this and you feel that it was Ford who fitted the tint was in the wrong and not you as it was a factory fitted option. - Even if u had them done elsewhere etc.

You could state since finding out this you have removed the offending tints and that you are very sorry etc...

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=5teve L;22288]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post

Funny, dont you have Ford blue sprayed on your 5!? So you dont want a ford just wanna look like one! Just playin, each to there own, Im not gonna buy another car JUST because I became part of a Renault club!

Its paid off, so I drive it! Still love my 5 more though!

Post Thanks / Like

Has no one else had points for tinted windows....or won a battle in court for points?

I wonder what the consequences would be of losing.....

Post Thanks / Like

Has no one else had points for tinted windows....or won a battle in court for points?

I wonder what the consequences would be of losing.....
    you can take the tints off, (better than points) take pics to court and argue that you should have been given at least 14 days to remove them, or even had the option of removing them by the side of the road, however mr magistrate, now there gone. (i take it that they are definatley illegal). even go down the cop shop and see the super intendant, complain. you can even argue that it passed mot`s for years, but now you have removed them.....theres no reason why you should not get off

Post Thanks / Like

points is abit harsh! you either pissed him off or he hasn't had any for a while!

i got done twice last year in the space of a month the second time the plod said "once more and your looking at points"

if its any conselation i dont agree with the window tint ruel! i mean fair play if your windows are compleatly blacked out but most arn't that bad realy.

my rear windows are very dark but the fronts arn't bad at all, i had a window smashed not so long ago (passenger side front) replaced it with a non tinted window and there is hardly any difference! honestly its very very minimal

i had my car for four years before the tints became an issue with the boys in blue

bit of a money making ploy if you ask me!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah cheers guys!

I think I will fight it actually. You guys made some good points.

Wish me luck!

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

jus appeal it...theyl remove the points..
    the nugget must have been bored

pain in the neck tho

d

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My car has got dark tints and a few years ago a similar thing happened to me... I went to court and it was overturned... the tints remain to this day - you haven't got much to lose by arguing it. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

The tinting law is stupid!

Tints have benefits, i agree you should not be allowed dark on the front, but i think they should let you go up to 40% on drivers windows and 60% on front, as it keeps car interior cooler, reduces glare, creates privacy and also holds glass together in a crash or break in.

I am a window tinter and most work i do people get fronts done, have never done a windsheild though. i allways advise customers on the law but most want fronts tinted. cops will usaully moan about fronts, and usually give a 30 fine, if you get your windshield done they hate it and will give you points. points for side windows though, that is harsh!

Iv been pulled a few times and my front windows are a light shade, they allow 56% of light through (close to the 70% legal limit) and i have had 2 fines so far and about 3 times been asked to remove. And before the traffic 4x4 has had illegal front tints to! the cheek!

If you have dark tints on front then your asking for it, atleast with a lght shade on fronts it shows you have tried.

Tints are not part of mot, if mot station gets fussy, put windows down when going for test as the windows are not part of mot

if you need the tints stripping let me know, or i can give you advice to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post

Tints are not part of mot, if mot station gets fussy, put windows down when going for test as the windows are not part of mot

if you need the tints stripping let me know, or i can give you advice to
    Thanks. The police officer insisted that tints were an MOT failure. To be fair to them my tint on the front windows was bad at only 24% light getting in but they could have let me off with a fine and 14 days to remove the tint! Its only the points that piss me off.

If I pull the tint off how bad will the adhesive left on the windows be? Would a white spirit or something get it off or should I just leave it to the professionals?!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. The police officer insisted that tints were an MOT failure. To be fair to them my tint on the front windows was bad at only 24% light getting in but they could have let me off with a fine and 14 days to remove the tint! Its only the points that piss me off.

If I pull the tint off how bad will the adhesive left on the windows be? Would a white spirit or something get it off or should I just leave it to the professionals?!
    Ask Chris and Emma what their like to get off!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    The tinting law is stupid!

Tints have benefits, i agree you should not be allowed dark on the front, but i think they should let you go up to 40% on drivers windows and 60% on front, as it keeps car interior cooler, reduces glare, creates privacy and also holds glass together in a crash or break in.

Wasn't this new law brought in just after the trial of that young lass that got shot in Nottingham a couple of years ago? Drive by, iirc they could not prosecute 1 person because non of the witnesses could see the shooter due to the blacked out glass, hence they banned dark tints. I might be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be, and it wouldn't suprise me, but as if that's going to stop the sort of person that would do a drive by. 'Ooh no, I can't tint my window, because the police might slap my wrists, and I really don't like getting in trouble with the police. Oh well.. Time to go and do a drive by'.

Post Thanks / Like

Sharp stanley knife blade on edge is the best way to remove the glue, far better than white spirit. That just gives you a light head in the car Don't cut your fingers off though....

I think tints are crap these days, no matter how dark they are they make it awkward to see. Even with light smoke they make the visibility crap. You can never tell if its a copper or not behind you at night & its too cold to be having the window down on the front to see properly at junctions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    You can never tell if its a copper or not behind you at night & its too cold to be having the window down on the front to see properly at junctions

Yeah I know what you mean but this tint was REALLY expensive and apparently is used on alot of high-end cars and jeeps and what not. So its meant to react to light and to be honest I never really had any bother with it. In the past some cheaper tints were a nightmare at night!

Cheers for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like

That's harsh people I knwo who have had problems have normally be asked to take it off and then prove it at a police station. Think you've gotta have 40% front and 60% back to be legal, or something like that

Post Thanks / Like

I got stopped years ago in my 11t, with limo black in the front windows. I recall the light meter said 8% light got through Totally stupid & dangerous now i look back. They used to give me tunnel vision, i used to only look through the windscreen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amber5GTTurb View Post
    That's harsh people I knwo who have had problems have normally be asked to take it off and then prove it at a police station. Think you've gotta have 40% front and 60% back to be legal, or something like that

Yeah, too be honest thats what I expected but I guess they decided to make an example of me!

They told me the minimum of 70% of light has to get through so a 30% tint was legal but on the risky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Could be, and it wouldn't suprise me, but as if that's going to stop the sort of person that would do a drive by. 'Ooh no, I can't tint my window, because the police might slap my wrists, and I really don't like getting in trouble with the police. Oh well.. Time to go and do a drive by'.
    You need to think about it the other way now. Anyone with dark tints on the front are going to do drive bys

Post Thanks / Like

Oh right.. So MikeA is a GANGSTOH!? *in my best mancunian accent*

Post Thanks / Like

Oh right.. So MikeA is a GANGSTOH!?

Ha! Yup thats me, thug for life! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Yup thats me, thug for life! lol
    Brap brap brap

Post Thanks / Like

Brap brap brap

haha yeah dont worry I rep my endz to the fullest (note the 'street' spelling of ends with a 'z' - thats how gangsta I am!) brrrrrap!

Post Thanks / Like

Brap brap brap

HA so this is how u get 580 posts!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Jealous, that I'm more sad than you / do less work than you?

Post Thanks / Like

Most tint places charge just asmuch to remove as tofit, they are a pain!

start by geting a edge up
    Then with some heat heat a few inches ahead of where your peeling and slwly pull off at a 90degree angle. Howwell youdo this either leaves loads of glue or not muich.
    Then you can either
    wet whole window with soapy water and blade the glue off with a stainless blade. only use 1 side of the blade, if you swqitch you will scratch glass
    or
    with meths or similar scrub it all off

Post Thanks / Like

blades like this by the way
    ebay item number 260315971665

sorry about lack of space,the keyboard imusing is ****!

Post Thanks / Like

the legal limit is 75 on windshield and 70 on drivers windows.

Lighte4st tint availlable is 70, but standard glass isnt 100% see through. so after you have fitted the 70 it becomes illegal. you cannot tint any front window
    Last edited by gttjames; 18-12-2008 at 21:54.

Post Thanks / Like

You are lucky.Here in Greece you get your license licence plates and registration taken away for a month,10 points on the point system and a 300 euro fine.To top all these you don't have the right to go to court anymore because the courtrooms have many cases and a new law passed which doesn't allow you to appeal,you just get a 50% discount if you pay the fine in 10 days.In order to be legal the installer gives you a certificate for M.O.T but the polices says you are illegal even if you have this certificate because tinted windows won't allow them to see clearly who is in the car.

Post Thanks / Like

ayrshire cops must be on a window tint crack down! never got any points but got told to remove them, have done and the glue is still there!! will get round to that eventually its not a car I like so I'm not too fussed

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure nobody cares but I need to vent.

Fecking cuants at glasgow courts.

Sooooo decided not to fight the harsh three point fine and went to pay the fine with 6-7 days left, so cutting it kinda close. Anyway, went in with my paper liscence, the original ticket and passport (just in case). So after waiting for 35 minutes I got to the counter and said I wanted to pay. Well....no go. Apparantly you need the paper liscence AND the card, but mine got stolen a while ago! She would not take the payment....insisted it would have to go to court and if found guilty could get a criminal record?!?! (thats what she said!) Tried to get a new liscence sent out only to be told by the lady at the DVLA my picture expired 2 days ago!! WTF? And I would have to re apply for the liscence which would take it past the pay day...resulting in a court date!

So all day today I have been calling around pleading my case. Called the Clerk of Court, the dvla, local police, road police etc etc...literally hours on end. All just so I could comply, pay my ticket and save the hassle of tax money for a court date.

My biggest concern is that my mum stays in america and if this goes down bad then I wonder if I have a record or somehting over tinted windows and cant get into the states with the new tight criminal record shiiiat.

Now just waiting for a call tomorrow which will never come Im sure form the officer who gave me the ticket to see if he will reissue a ticket giving me time to get the liscence and pay.

Unbelievable. I want to cooperate and they wont let me.

Phew, rant over.
    Last edited by MikeA; 18-12-2008 at 23:48.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

A Similar thing happened to me. The cours can't do anything so you need to get in touch with the police. Ask to speak to the inspector who is dealing with your case (you will have a police ref number) even the receptionist of the police can tell you who is dealing with it. If you explain that you are worried and want to get it sorted you will be O.K. some of them are human albeit not many.
    Play it cool trig and you'll be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats actually so relieving to hear! Thank you. I am hopefully speaking to a new member of the court tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Havnt read all the post, but yes, speak to the officer in charge. The thing to remember is they are in fact, human... speak to them like one with respect and you'll get further than crying 'chav'.

Post Thanks / Like

if you took it to mot with both front windows wound down, they could be painted black and still pass the mot... because the tester isn't allowed to test the operation, if they are down then they are down