Post Thanks / Like

clio v6

anyone running a clio v6....i'm toying with the idea of aquiring one....anyone with much experience of owning one??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: clio v6

Quote Originally Posted by michael tierney View Post
    anyone running a clio v6....i'm toying with the idea of aquiring one....anyone with much experience of owning one??
    Lomo is your man!

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran a Phase 1 V6, for a few years. Nice car, not too expensive to run (although the cam belt service was £1200.00) Could of done with a few more Horse Power.

Post Thanks / Like

i thought they had 240bhp?...but of course they're n/a!!

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

but just outta intrest as well have you seen on how much vrt you have to pay to get the car onto irish plates though
    im lookin into takin a car over there and the 5 is costin about 720 so i might not be takin it...........plus u gotta have the nct and all that jazz.ive been lookin into it and ppl tryin there way to get around it but still they have the red tape out.
    if youhave the moneyto pay then all good,but still as for the car tax................

Post Thanks / Like

car tax is about 1200€ and i know where there is one for sale,,,maybe...but i might go for a 2001-boxter or 2002-merc SLK.....i did'nt think these were so cheap(recession and all that)

Post Thanks / Like

What questions are niggling you fella? IMO go for a phase 2.

I have a 55 plate phase 2. Air con, cruise control, 23/24mpg. 6 months tax £134.75, 12 months £245.00. Insurance, not bad - Im old . If the miles are ticking on look for one thats had the cambelt done. Parts can be expensive but it sort of comes with the car.

With regards to the other cars you mention, you'd be mad not to go for the V6. The fun factor is incredible and the feeling you get when you drive one is brilliant!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks lomo....main questions are of course,are there any stings in the tail!!like,engine failures& oil leaks,efi probs,g/box failures....you know things that make taxing it really wastefull because u cant drive it and ur also shelling out an arm and a leg!!??

Post Thanks / Like

thanks lomo....main questions are of course,are there any stings in the tail!!like,engine failures& oil leaks,efi probs,g/box failures....you know things that make taxing it really wastefull because u cant drive it and ur also shelling out an arm and a leg!!??
    The only real problem Ive had with the car and it seems everyone does at some point is with the coils. Renault actually denied it was a design fault. Ive gone through 2. They aren't expensive and take 5 minutes to replace. There is some info here

Apart from that I've had no problems with my motor and haven't really seen any problems with other peoples either. (Touch wood)

if you do get one treat yourself and go for a drive with the engine cover off

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lomo View Post
    The only real problem Ive had with the car and it seems everyone does at some point is with the coils. Renault actually denied it was a design fault. Ive gone through 2. They aren't expensive and take 5 minutes to replace. There is some info here

Apart from that I've had no problems with my motor and haven't really seen any problems with other peoples either. (Touch wood)

if you do get one treat yourself and go for a drive with the engine cover off
    Peugeot coils are even cheaper, approx £26.00 IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty bullet proof car apart from coil packs, very basic car really. (which is a positive)
    Usually very well looked after too. Discs and pads are pretty expensive, so check them, make sure the cambelts been done along with the waterpump. make sure theres no rattle when you first start it. theres two of our customers with this de-phaser problem, but they've been like that for 3 or more years... im sure they'll get us to fit new ones eventually(along with 24 valves lol)

Post Thanks / Like

when they say panels are expensive...do they mean a front wing for £500 and a door for £1000 kind of price?

Post Thanks / Like

yes