Post Thanks / Like

camber

just now, ive finished overhauling all the suspension parts.

now after aligning the wheels by sight[temporary until i can get it done properly] ive noticed that there is abit of negative camber and ive had to adjust the track rods to show at least 6cm of thread until the wheels straightened.

would 30/35mm lowering springs cause this.?
    my car is by no means slammed. and to be honest the ride height looks pretty much standard. i was under the impression that camber probs occur when you lower the car too much

Post Thanks / Like

Re: camber

A bit of negative camber wont hurt it. Im not sure what the camber is on std rideheight but ill bet its nearer the -1deg.

My van has -1.5 deg camber with 30mm springs, within the tolerance when i got the tracking done on a 4 wheel lazer alignment machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat.

On my previous car I dialled out a bit of the neg camber with some ott priced camber correction bolts. They actually worked quite well.

Baring in mind I never actually had the camber properly adjusted, I think I found an ideal setup for me!

On my current car, the neg camber is very obvious.

I'm thinking about changing the top mounts/hubs/shocks for the PH1 setup, as I've seen numerous lowered PH1 GTTs with a reasonable amount of camber and not the extreme camber I currently have with the PH2 bits LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Why try and get rid of the negative camber surely it helps improve the handling? I remember having to pay a fair bit for negative camber bottom arms on my old mini.

Although the most obvious reasons not to have it would be scrubbing off the inside of the tyres but is there any other reason not to on a R5?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    Why try and get rid of the negative camber surely it helps improve the handling? I remember having to pay a fair bit for negative camber bottom arms on my old mini.

Although the most obvious reasons not to have it would be scrubbing off the inside of the tyres but is there any other reason not to on a R5?
    not any good for 1/4 mile runs, and like you say... to much negative camber isn't good for the tyres.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh right of course as for sprints you would want maximum tyre to road contact?

Post Thanks / Like

Camber is good for turning in/corner entry etc

Not so good for straight line grip as the tyre foot print is reduced and you'll increase tyre wear as already stated.

I only fiddled with mine to find the setup I was happiest with and that involved dialling out the amount of camber I'd achieved simply by lowering my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    Oh right of course as for sprints you would want maximum tyre to road contact?
    id want maximum tyre contact at all times. im not keen on the car being skittish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Camber is good for turning in/corner entry etc

Not so good for straight line grip as the tyre foot print is reduced and you'll increase tyre wear as already stated.

I only fiddled with mine to find the setup I was happiest with and that involved dialling out the amount of camber I'd achieved simply by lowering my car.
    Hang on Sukhi, lowering his car surely not

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    id want maximum tyre contact at all times. im not keen on the car being skittish.
    Having negative camber is a good thing for cornering, as the weight shifts to the wheels which have more contact with the road.... (i'm sure i can think of a better way of explaining that but i've had too much rum now )

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    Unfortunately you can't have maximum tyre contact at all times, it's always going to be a compromise. You definitely don't want to run 0 degrees camber for road use, you'll get a nasty surprise the first time you corner in the wet.