Post Thanks / Like

Removing dials?

My speedo is jumping all over the place so I want to check the connection at the back of the dials.
    I cannot work out how to get them out. Any ideas?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing dials?

pull the visor over the top of them upwards towards the windscreen and it will come off,
    you will then see a couple of screws, they are a torx head if they are original, remove these.
    next you have to slide the whole instrument cluster upwards which is a real arse, easiest way is to use something like a wide flat knife in the crack at the bottom of the cluster to prise them upwards.
    once they are raised they should come out towards you but not by much as the cables are quite short but you can get your hand in to unplug them, be gentle as the flexible circuit on the back of the dash's are notoriously fragile

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a bit of a job. So the visor is not screwed on? Just pull it up?
    I will give this a go tomorrow.

If I tap the the speedo the needle usually fires into life. Anything else worth looking at?

Post Thanks / Like

the visor does have metal clips on it,or it goes into metal clips...one or the other,any way when i have removed the visor in past i just discard these as it makes future removal easier.

also leave the two torx screws out aswell,my method for removal is to put my fingers along the lip between the two torx screws then put palms of my hands on the clear fasica/instrument panel and push gently same time pulling that lip/edge.

not sure you want to try screwdrivers and putty knifes etc as the clear plastic or dash could be damaged.

have fun!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

no screws on the visor, its just held in with a couple of springy metal tabs and just pulls out, if the speedo works with a tap its most likely to either be a dry solder joint in the speedo itself or a bad connection between the speedo and the flexible circuit on the back of the cluster, the connections are made by threaded studs through with washers and nuts on the back, i have had an intermittent fault on a fuel gauge caused by one of the nuts comming loose, make sure washers are refitted if you take any off as the nuts will damage the flexi circuit without them

Post Thanks / Like

If i replace the clocks is there a way to make the mileage the same?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

there are companies that will change the mileage for you but i wouldnt bother about it too much as chances of the mileage shown being correct on cars as old as ours is pretty slim, just take photos as evidence and keep the old speedo, or dissmantle the speedo yourself and set the mileage to what you want

Post Thanks / Like

Once the sun screen is removed your meant to remove the lower steering column cover and push the low clips that hold the clocks in place up words.This will remove clocks without damaging the dash or clocks