Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rear Brake Bias

Before I fork out for new calipers/discs/bearings for the rear, just need to double check this, the braking was fine a couple of years ago when the car was on the road and the only thing changed now is that the back end is raised up two inches would this cause the rear brakes to be at so low on efficiency or is the calipers seized up due to not being used for so long. Going to adjust the hand brake cable as well as that was rather low on effiency as well

Would the brake bias have to be moved towards the back of the car to counter this change in height?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rear Brake Bias

Pushing the bias inwards will apply more rear brake. You need to tighten up the nuts but don't go mad as to much will make it lock up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    Pushing the bias inwards will apply more rear brake. You need to tighten up the nuts but don't go mad as to much will make it lock up.
    Cheers Marc, guessing tighting a few turns each time just to see how it is.

Anyone know roughly how far should it be with standard height?

Post Thanks / Like

calipers...hmmm i dont think it makes a difference if there used or not there poo on the gt,always a good idea every now an then to whip of the wheels an check they move freely on the sliders,had new on mine but they lasted not even a year before failure.

have new calipers again now with new discs/pads and there good,gna keep my eye on them tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    calipers...hmmm i dont think it makes a difference if there used or not there poo on the gt,always a good idea every now an then to whip of the wheels an check they move freely on the sliders,had new on mine but they lasted not even a year before failure.

have new calipers again now with new discs/pads and there good,gna keep my eye on them tho.

yeah I know they are bad but 10% braking efficiency is not bad its just not there

New discs and bearings for the rear from work, going to see what sort of movement I get from the calipers, as dont fancy the £90 for rear calipers for the fun of it just hope they just need some freeing up and the bias adjusting a bit more due to ride height change.

Post Thanks / Like

ride height will certainly require bias change. add a few turns onto the nut then take it for a spin and jump on the brakes at low speed and see if the rears lock. keep adding a little untill they do then back off a turn. thats how i set mine although im pretty damn sure theres a better way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    yeah I know they are bad but 10% braking efficiency is not bad its just not there

New discs and bearings for the rear from work, going to see what sort of movement I get from the calipers, as dont fancy the £90 for rear calipers for the fun of it just hope they just need some freeing up and the bias adjusting a bit more due to ride height change.
    I had a similar problem on my 306 which are renowned for ****e rear brakes, they also incorporate the handbrake into the caliper itself.

I removed them and pressed the brake pedal to see if the piston came out and then wound back in, did this several times to ensure they were free but also did the same with the handbrake mechanism.