Post Thanks / Like

Air filter differences

On my volvo jobbie i was running a cone style air filter and it made alot of sucking noise, you could also hear the turbo chatter/stall whatever you want to call it.

I made a heat shield and was just about to fit it when i noticed another members car with one of these ram air kits, basically a air filer with a carbon surround and a pipe in and out.

I fitted one and its so much quieter now, i can not frighten old granny as bus stops now, dont laugh we all have done it . The car will pull about 1psi more on my gauge and it seems to pull stronger to, thats all good but i miss the noise.

Can anyone comment on these being better bits of kit and why is the thing so quiet now?

How does it effect the workings of the turbo, im guessing now the turbo is not stalling kike it did?

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air filter differences

The turbo is still doing the same as before matey, The new filter/box will be stopping the noise. As you have found out you need an open cone filter for decent induction noise.

I personally dont rate those enclosed filters, my mate had a bmc filter/carbon box on his 20vt cupra and it was killing it. Actually made the tip pipe suck in, we took the carbon outer off and the car ran fine
    Last edited by Brigsy; 11-05-2011 at 12:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    The turbo is still doing the same as before matey, The new filter/box will be stopping the noise. As you have found out you need an open cone filter for decent induction noise.

I personally dont rate those enclosed filters, my mate had a bmc filter/carbon box on his 20vt cupra and it was killing it. Actually made the tip pipe suck in, we took the carbon outer off and the car ran fine
    Ah dont tell me that big lad, i spent about 1 hr messing on fitting it and shifting some pipes around

I does defiantly pulls harder. I know it works with the same principle, sucking air or forcing the air but there is now no sound of stall/chatter

I'm going to leave it be for now, i can easy swap back over.

Anyone else ran both to compare?

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a BMC on my v6 clio then changed to a normal cone, nothing seemed any different,

Had a piper kit on my old red 5 then went back to a cone, only thing i noticed was a difference in noise.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just fitted a filter in an carbon cover
    Hardly any chatter any more so much quieter. Very sad might swap it back but I'm scared of the Mrs gobbing off about wasting money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan y View Post
    I've just fitted a filter in an carbon cover
    Hardly any chatter any more so much quieter. Very sad might swap it back but I'm scared of the Mrs gobbing off about wasting money.
    Don't worry about the missis, she doesn't need to know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Don't worry about the missis, she doesn't need to know
    She will notice, trust me.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have run both now and prefer the open cone for noise and it felt less restrictive than the enclosed filter. You will not get the induction roar with the filter being enclosed and the pipe stuck in the front of the filter blocking the noise.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ITG used my R26 Megane to build an induction kit - gained 12 bhp and 15 lb ft torque so can definately be worth while - made a significant difference to the way it drove

ITG always try to fit an enclosed box as heat soak is such an issue but where one wont fit they will fit an open filter as with the Megane 225/R26

Ive fitted an open cone ITG to my Gt now and by God its loud - cant hear the exhaust at all! So im thinking of getting an enclosed ITG kit - they arent cheap but well worth while - If any one is local to Coventry give them a ring and ask for Andy - Im sure he would be happy to have a look and recommend something to fit!

Post Thanks / Like

As ITG found out, a well engineered enclosed box is best for performance, just like the OE one fitted to the GTT

If you want performance, I say mess with the original box (remove stat gubbins, replace hot feed with a secondary cold feed, protect better from heat, potentially fit a K&N filter inside it).

If you want noise, just remove all the oe stuff and put a small cone filter on.

I tried and liked both ways. The improved performance swung it for me in the end though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caymanr26 View Post
    ITG used my R26 Megane to build an induction kit - gained 12 bhp and 15 lb ft torque so can definately be worth while - made a significant difference to the way it drove

ITG always try to fit an enclosed box as heat soak is such an issue but where one wont fit they will fit an open filter as with the Megane 225/R26

Ive fitted an open cone ITG to my Gt now and by God its loud - cant hear the exhaust at all! So im thinking of getting an enclosed ITG kit - they arent cheap but well worth while - If any one is local to Coventry give them a ring and ask for Andy - Im sure he would be happy to have a look and recommend something to fit!
    Good guy Andy and def knows a thing or 2 about filters

ITG open filter v's fancy box = NO difference in power - just noise

Was stealing stuff in the warehouse with Andy the other week cherry picking so bits for the TFSI conversion in the vx220

So handy I can drive to ITG towers in less than 30mins

On most engine setups having a lot larger pipework prior to MAF and supporting filter size makes a big difference - I tend to run 80mm i/d at a min, running 86mm on the k04 powered tfsi - then down to 70mm for MAF - although the oval pipe size of the oem vag stuff is 64.7mm and unless you change the MAF configuration can effect long term fuel trim by 3-4%. I have inserted a 0.8mm rolled bit of alloy to get nearer the curent map setup and fine tweak after and prob remove

Dont over oil the filters either

DG

Post Thanks / Like

89mm not 86mm

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

It's interesting how pretty much all top flight race teams use enclosed air filters in their cars. Look at WRC for example:

Skoda:

Ford:

Citroen:

Given their enormous budget, the fact that there are no rules governing the choice of air filter and that packaging a well designed air scoop and box into the engine bay is considerably harder than simply bolting on a cone filter, I'd say there's a good case to ensure the turbo is getting a fresh air supply from outside of the engine bay.