Post Thanks / Like

Fuel pump issue, any help appreciated!

Right then, last weekend the car decided she had enough and cut out on me. After pulling over it failed to restart initally but then did fire up, I got a little further down the road for the same thing to happen shortly after pulling off. Whilst waiting for the AA I did carry on attempting to start the car and it did fire up a couple of times but would cut out after 10 seconds or so of running.

After the AA guy arrived I turned the car over whilst he inspected the fuel pump, he said he felt the fuel pump turn on, the car started and ran for a few seconds, the fuel pump then died and the car cut out.

now when turning the car over the fuel pump has no life at all unless i connect a battery to it directly and it sounds as though its working fine. sounds exactly the same as the replacement pump i have anyway.

I've tried changing the fuel pump relay but still no joy however on the original relay it looks as though there has been a repair or modification. see pics.

Hers one of the wiring going to the relay, does this look correct?

Any ideas what i can try next? Or are there any bored folk who fancy a look? anyway the cars in the garage over a pit so access is all good and rain isnt to much of a pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel pump issue, any help appreciated!

u ca do away with the relay. not the best idea but u can

u just need to put a link wire in. but i forget wich 1s u have to link.

turn ignition on and play untill pump works lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave r5 View Post
    u ca do away with the relay. not the best idea but u can

u just need to put a link wire in. but i forget wich 1s u have to link.

turn ignition on and play untill pump works lol
    Will my fuel pump turn on when i just turn the ignition on or does it only turn on when you activate the starter? I thought it used to turn on when the ignition was turned on without turning the starter. Not sure if it was my chargecooler pump!

Head scratching is about the most productive thing i've accomplished today.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The wires to bridge if you are going to drive the 5 are the yellow and white, the white is the positive feed to the pump the yellow is an ignition live so when you turn the key the pump will start whilst the car is cranking

Post Thanks / Like

Bridged red and white wires on the relay connector and the fuel pump sounds but still wont start. have checked for spark and all looks good. I know the next suggestion will be to check for fuel at the carb but can someone point out which hose to remove and check? i guess the one thats goes into the drivers side of the carb elbow? bridge the wires again and turn the starter?
    Last edited by going_downhill; 07-05-2011 at 15:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    The wires to bridge if you are going to drive the 5 are the yellow and white, the white is the positive feed to the pump the yellow is an ignition live so when you turn the key the pump will start whilst the car is cranking
    Ah right ok, it wont start with the red and white wires bridged so i guess the problem lies with something other than the relay? checking for fuel at the carb i think is the next move although i think nothings there as theres no wiff of fuel in the bay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by going_downhill View Post
    Ah right ok, it wont start with the red and white wires bridged so i guess the problem lies with something other than the relay? checking for fuel at the carb i think is the next move although i think nothings there as theres no wiff of fuel in the bay.
    Red and white is a direct battery feed and you should hear the fuel pump whinning away without starting the car doing it that way. I take it you can't hear the pump, I would check connections at the pump, if that fails I would be tempted remove fuel pump and connect straight to battery and see if it works that way

Could be a knackered fuel pump,

Post Thanks / Like

Red and white is a direct battery feed and you should hear the fuel pump whinning away without starting the car doing it that way. I take it you can't hear the pump, I would check connections at the pump, if that fails I would be tempted remove fuel pump and connect straight to battery and see if it works that way

Could be a knackered fuel pump,
    Cheers for the reply James, when bridging the red and white wires i can hear the fuel pump working, i have tried starting the car with the fuel pump on permanently but still wont fire. I have also tested the fuel pump on the car and a secondhand fuel pump i got by rigging them up directly to a battery and both pumps sound exactly the same so i think my fuel pump is functioning fine.

Not sure where to go with it next though. Which hose do i disconnect from the carb to check for fuel? the one on the drivers side of the carb elbow?

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the reply James, when bridging the red and white wires i can hear the fuel pump working, i have tried starting the car with the fuel pump on permanently but still wont fire. I have also tested the fuel pump on the car and a secondhand fuel pump i got by rigging them up directly to a battery and both pumps sound exactly the same so i think my fuel pump is functioning fine.

Not sure where to go with it next though. Which hose do i disconnect from the carb to check for fuel? the one on the drivers side of the carb elbow?

Ok so you can hear the pump which elimiates the wiring still could be a duff pump though as you say need to check it's flowing

With ref to fuel feed on the carb connection it's the port on the top right of this pic

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so you can hear the pump which elimiates the wiring still could be a duff pump though as you say need to check it's flowing

With ref to fuel feed on the carb connection it's the port on the top right of this pic
    Ok, having removed the fuel line from the top r/h port in the pic no fuel at all is coming through when bridging the white and red wires on the relay connector although i can hear the fuel pump whirring. I'm not turning the starter though as i guess i dont need to do this aswell?

Would it be advised to swap the fuel pump if this is the case? Even though it does sound exactly the same as the other used pump i purchased? Cheers for your help. I need to hear this thing start again!

Post Thanks / Like

I would be taking the fuel filter off and putting a pipe from the pump into a clear bottle and see if the pump is pushing fuel out from there next,
    Last edited by James5; 08-05-2011 at 12:52.

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be taking the fuel filer off and putting a pipe from the pump into a clear bottle and see if the pump is pushing fuel out from there next,
    And maybe a faulty fuel pressure regulator...

Post Thanks / Like

fuell filters are cheap .. id give one of them a go .... ive never in 10 years had a fuel pressure regulator go ...... id also pull off the fuel feed pipe to the carb and put it into an empty clear plastic bottle.. then turn the engine over .. if a load of petrol flows... nice.... then it could be the carb.... many years ago i had a carb top come loose from some of the top screews being loose... worth a try.......... or of course if any of the pipes below the throtle are broken or un connected the same sympoms could happen...... or if the carb is loose on its studssssss

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I'll whip the pump and filter lines off and see what i find.

Wont get chance for a few days but will post up what i find.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I'll whip the pump and filter lines off and see what i find.

Wont get chance for a few days but will post up what i find.

Keep us posted with the results/ outcome matey when you get a chance to play

Post Thanks / Like

We have life! A new fuel pump and relay and we're back in action. I can't help but think this might have had something to do with it!

Inlet to fuel pump.

I did run my tank pretty low and was actually on route to fill up when i broke down, maybe i'll keep a little more fuel in the tank in future.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the same thing happened on my tungy gtt on the way back from mallory last year, i think crud builds up over the years

Post Thanks / Like

Ph1 GTT`s have the fuel filter pre pump, ph2`s have the filter after the pump, so in your case if the gauze at the bottom of the sender unit is damaged / missing, any bits of crud in the tank could well be ingested into the pump and cause possible problems ??

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    Ph1 GTT`s have the fuel filter pre pump, ph2`s have the filter after the pump, so in your case if the gauze at the bottom of the sender unit is damaged / missing, any bits of crud in the tank could well be ingested into the pump and cause possible problems ??
    Exactly. I've recently checked my sender and the gauze is missing. It was removed by someone. It was no problem till I was running on phase I settings, but now as I've modified to EFI I no longer have a filter before the pump.
    So I'll install a gauze ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    I thought it a little strange putting the pump in front of the filter.. So it would be advised to check i have an intact gauze under the sender? Do you access this under the rear seats?

Post Thanks / Like

I killed an almost bran new fuel pump in exactly the same way, ran the fuel very very low it was an EFI pump. I now use the same pump but pre-filter it as oppose to filtering the fuel after the pump.

Seems to have no effect on the fuel supply at all having the filter before the pump.