Post Thanks / Like

Which upgrade route to take from here.

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi folks,

Well after a very impressive response in the newbie thread i thought i would move in to here to get some more invaluable advice from you 5 hardcore lot. The spec below is what Raj the previous owner put together and i think its very nicely done to, problem i have is like i mentioned before i ultimately want to run more power/boost ideally hunting for good low down torque and super quick spool. All the advice from previous posts point in a unanimous direction, keep standard carb rejetted to suit which i have in hand but next issue is what cam 285? why? and turbo T28? why? twin scroll? rotated?

REBUILT TO STD SPEC BUT WITH UPRATED PARTS.

fully rebuilt to std spec with a few tweeks -

* stripped & cleaned block and painted with por15 engine enamel.
    * chemically cleaned/bead blasted cylinder head.
    * re-lapped and polished valves.
    * 1.9mm corteco headgasket set.
    * 12.9 hi-tensile cylinder head bolts.
    * polished flat top perfect circle pistons + liners.
    * std camshaft.
    * piper uprated valve springs.
    * new valve stem seals.
    * tufftrided followers.
    * tufftrided cam & crank sprockets.
    * tufftrided pushrods.
    * new water pump.
    * 12.9 waterpump bolts.
    * new bigend bearings.
    * new main bearings.
    * new thrust washers.
    * polished crankshaft.
    * lightened balanced flywheel.
    * high output fuel pump.
    * new fuel filter.
    * new starter motor.
    * AEM wideband gauge/sensor.
    * stepper turbo gauge.
    * New T2 turbo with 360 thrust bearing.
    * 1 piece bms downpipe.
    * chemically cleaned rebuilt carb.
    * tufftrided exhaust manifold.
    * refurbished inlet manifold with new core plugs+brass inserts.
    * refurbished oil pump.
    * breather pipes deleted.
    * coolant swirlpot and hoses deleted.
    * alloy oil catch tank.
    * new genuine fpr to carb fuel line.
    * oversized radiator.
    * mocal 10 row external oil cooler.
    * mocal external oil thermostat.
    * 16" spal radiator fan.
    * huge front mount intecooler.
    * various brackets re-zinced.
    * orange silicone hosing.
    * stainless airfilter.

Wheels
    16" oz superturismo's with 195/40/16 tyres

Suspension
    * new strut tops.
    * polyurethane donuts.
    * top hats.
    * new strut top bearings.
    * koni yellow shocks up front.
    * stiffer rear shocks.
    * new wishones.
    * polyurethane wishbone bushes.

Brakes
    * braided hel brakelines with orange sleeves.
    * new calipers all round.
    * grooved/slotted front discs.
    * std rear discs.

Are there any mods that jump out at you here that may need addressing/altering/upgrading when i start to work on mentioned items.

Also who is best supplier for turbos/cams ect.

The car geom will be set for fast road and occassional track. Think the cooling side things will be ok?? Brakes will have to see!

Time cant go quick enough to get ran in and set to work on upgrades

Many thanks in advance

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which upgrade route to take from here.

The turbo i would use would be a GT25R, its a cracking turbo, potential for 240bhp, roller bearing, not as laggy as a T28, so more suited for the odd trackday and fast road.

Its the turbo I brought for my track/road car.... but maybe selling it now

Post Thanks / Like

Thing is unless you fit a 285 & dial it in early to get more low down torque, anything bigger than a T25 turbo is going to feel laggy & won't really get going till 4k RPM. Ideally if you want the best of both worlds, IMO a T25/2 or a full T25 with a 285 cam is the way to go running between 18-21psi for a reliable car as long as the fueling is there.
    I'm surprised there isn't a 285 in there since it was rebuilt to a pretty high standard, bit of a waste of time & effort since you now have to pull apart the engine to fit a cam
    If you want a nice nippy road car then a T25/2 turbo will be good, not uber fast but low down torque will be nice & it will feel pretty quick, don't forget you are in a 1.4 pushrod car, not a v-tec monster revver

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Raj did have a fully rebuilt t25 fitted to that engine at one point but it didn't want to spool up at all and it was determined that this was down to the standard cam as the turbo was tested on another 5 and the turbo boosted fine.

If you are going to get a bigger turbo you are going to have to change to a different cam, popular choice is a Piper 285 cam and as Steve says you can dial them in for low down torque of high end torque but depends on your choice of turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, heres the dilemma i am in at the moment then, before i spend one penny on this brand new engine modifying it would it be more cost effective especially for further modding/upgrading/tuning to replace the whole unit (long motor) and consider my options like a few have suggested and go down the Volvo 1.7 or 2.0 not sure on make route? What are the cost implications roughly and how much endless scope would it give me?

Sure someone on here could be tempted in my engine at the given fresh spec and quality of build?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you should mention twin scroll as one is for sale in the classifieds at mo. There has been some talk on this in the changing turbo size forum (i think it was) and looks like a good path to go from what was said, just needs someone to spend the money without knowing the full rewards.
    If you got a sense of adventure go for that
    Also binning the engine off strait after you buy it seems pretty drastic, if i was you i would enjoy the current setup for a month or 2 as it might not be that fast with a small turbo but it is fun

Post Thanks / Like

Heres the twin scroll discussion.
    If you decide it might be a good idea big jim is probably the man to talk to about manifolds.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=17818

Post Thanks / Like

Mmm like the sound of that pal, cheers.

Just out of curiosity when the engine is ran in and carb set up what is a safe max boost to run and what sort of bhp/ftlb should i see on a fresh engine?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AFr's checked and jetting setup using Standard cam and standard turbo I would say 16psi max

Post Thanks / Like

Guys have or do any of you use Fletcher Racing Svs here in Nott'm?

My top man who always does all of my work on my Scoobs is Glen at Carnetix, he is very experienced in all aspects of motorsport/engineering and is looking forward to the challenge ahead whatever route i take with my new 5.

Just trying to keep an open mind and options open as i am in no rush to do anything just yet.

It really is a nostalgia blast from when i was 19 owning this. Hope i keep up my keeness as keeping cars long term is not a strong point of mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by type r brad View Post
    It really is a nostalgia blast from when i was 19 owning this. Hope i keep up my keeness as keeping cars long term is not a strong point of mine
    ill give it less than 4 months before you sell it, after realising you can't do what you want it to, performance wise.
    bahhh humbug.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    ill give it less than 4 months before you sell it, after realising you can't do what you want it to, performance wise.
    bahhh humbug.

Aahh dont say that pal, i am convincing myself to be optimistic

Dont think i'll sell in a hurry as its cheap enough to keep just locked up in garage.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

like all of us at one point you feel you need 200bhp as that what everyone once went on about.. most cars back in the day ran on more bullsh1t power than bhp..

i propper 160bhp 5 is a very very quick car and what pubtalkers were claiming had 200bhp back in the day.. i think the feeling behind the wheel your looking for would be found before the 200 mark. get to Nd and blag a ride in some good honest members cars and see what you really want. if its massive power then go nuts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
    like all of us at one point you feel you need 200bhp as that what everyone once went on about.. most cars back in the day ran on more bullsh1t power than bhp..

i propper 160bhp 5 is a very very quick car and what pubtalkers were claiming had 200bhp back in the day.. i think the feeling behind the wheel your looking for would be found before the 200 mark. get to Nd and blag a ride in some good honest members cars and see what you really want. if its massive power then go nuts

Crackin advice ... its harder to keep a 5 standard and clean than it is to wack a massive turbo on a balls the engine up ! Mine is completely standard & still has most cars off at the lights if needed Most people that have modified in the past.. are now trying to go back to standard ... and thats not an easy job. I suppose its each to there own however mint & OE for me

Post Thanks / Like

Am hearing you all and really am going to make an effort to get to ND and hopefully some true gent will take me on a couple of laps

Finally gonna get cleaning tomorrow as not had chance yet.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

You have a good solid base engine by the looks of it, no need to strip it and fit a piper cam, standard cam has been used to make good 1/4 mile times, my own car made 160+bhp and 170lbft at 18ish psi on a 22 year old engine with low compression(and thats not from low comp pistons lol) with a big turbo its loads of fun in such a light car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    bahhh humbug.

Post Thanks / Like

Right guys been trying to bang on the running in miles taking so so long. After talking to Neil Fletcher who sprints 11t's and has some very impressive experiance in this field, he has suggested we set the carb up to suit maybe around 16/17psi on the setup i already have. Going to see how that feels then maybe consider a Kent 200 cam, apparently not as wild as the Piper 285 but will hopefully suit my driving style better with the occasional trackday and sprints at later dates.

What i need to find out, tried Raj but think hes on holiday, is the compression ratio as Neil keen to find out why and what type of flat top pistons were used in conjuction with how much has been skimmed off head. Have or did anyone off here have any input with Raj on the engine build in relation to any tech stuff?

Going to leave the brand new T2 turbo for the time being as its a 360degree one, poss with a hybrid twin scroll at a later date.

Any help/input on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

Those plans sound a lot better m8! Also with running in it depends who you listen to as to what you do but my engine was rebuilt by Col on here and he said give it death strait away but do an early oil change between 500 and 1000 miles. Not caused me any trouble.

Have you read through this for info on the build? Guess this is the right thread.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=19456

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMayGTT View Post
    Those plans sound a lot better m8! Also with running in it depends who you listen to as to what you do but my engine was rebuilt by Col on here and he said give it death strait away but do an early oil change between 500 and 1000 miles. Not caused me any trouble.

Have you read through this for info on the build? Guess this is the right thread.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=19456