Post Thanks / Like

Drag Racing renault 5 gt turbo

No im not talking about putting a dress on and doing the 100meters

Right where to start...
    I've been into drag cars for years and being a huge gt turbo fan i always wanted to build a drag version!
    Ive seen things move on with these little pocket rockets and now with times of 12's to low 11's (which is amazing) there is a few things that dont make sence to me

How come nobody has gone mad with the aerodynamics of the (brick) I's sure if somebody spaceframed the front end bringing the engine lower to the ground then made a carbonfibre face that lifts up as one big front end with a much more aero designed shape it would make a huge difference!? its still using the original 1400cc lump add this to a major diet getting ride of everything not needed then do the doors & boot carbonfibre, also how about sequential shift?? and bags of well timed nos!!

Nobody has built one to the level that the jap boys do! maybe its the cost of building one with a full on high spec drag kit! i recon £40/45 grand spent on the right parts parts could see see high 9's

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drag Racing renault 5 gt turbo

Quote Originally Posted by REBEL GT TURBO View Post
    No im not talking about putting a dress on and doing the 100meters

Right where to start...
    I've been into drag cars for years and being a huge gt turbo fan i always wanted to build a drag version!
    Ive seen things move on with these little pocket rockets and now with times of 12's to low 11's (which is amazing) there is a few things that dont make sence to me

How come nobody has gone mad with the aerodynamics of the (brick) I's sure if somebody spaceframed the front end bringing the engine lower to the ground then made a carbonfibre face that lifts up as one big front end with a much more aero designed shape it would make a huge difference!? its still using the original 1400cc lump add this to a major diet getting ride of everything not needed then do the doors & boot carbonfibre, also how about sequential shift?? and bags of well timed nos!!

Nobody has built one to the level that the jap boys do! maybe its the cost of building one with a full on high spec drag kit! i recon £40/45 grand spent on the right parts parts could see see high 9's
    If you had that kind of money and passion for drag racing you would start with a car like 5....its to much like a brick... the costs/time involved in that is silly, where as can be done alot cheaper/quicker in other cars...

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have answered your own question there mate. Why would anyone want to spend that sort of money on an old push rod engine that is very old technology with limited available parts?

Post Thanks / Like

The 5 seems to be a bang for buck car allways nice to see people push boundries tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats just it its easy to go out and buy a 7litre yank or something with new tech engine! Building the car (rolling shell) wouldnt be the problem if you could do fabrication yourself it wouldnt cost that much! its making a 400+ bhp engine that dosnt blow up!! lets say every member from here put £200 of there hard earned money into a group project with a hundered people thats 20k im not sure how many members there is on here?? but imagine what could be achived with eveybodys tech input and some money from sponsorship!! rtoc drag racing team! show them civic boys how the old french brick can really go!

Post Thanks / Like

you don't really get that much of an improvement from aerodynamics at the traps we run, it takes about 120hp to drive along at 120mph, how much less horsepower would a different shaped nose require? I doubt you get it down to 100hp, but say you can, so that new front is worth 20hp. But it's not worth 20hp, it's only worth 20hp at 120mph. It worth almost nothing over the whole 1/4 mile. A one off carbon front end will cost you maybe 5K, even with 20K burning a hole in your pocket it's clear that it won't make sense to spend that cash on such a small gain.

Feel free to prove or disprove this with some real figures rather than my guesses.

Post Thanks / Like

With those sort of mods you would be entering the car in a hot rod class. Mid 8s, I think some of the yanks may have gone high 7's. A 400whp motor that does not go bang? Buy a Honda engine d or b series will do that no problem. Also scoff has a rocket ship five already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    With those sort of mods you would be entering the car in a hot rod class. Mid 8s, I think some of the yanks may have gone high 7's. A 400whp motor that does not go bang? Buy a Honda engine d or b series will do that no problem. Also scoff has a rocket ship five already.

Yeah but that car dosent run a gt turbo engine anymore so it not technically its not a gt turbo anymore! it doesnt matter what class your running inn, What matters is pushin boundries! i'm just sayin i dont think anybody has built a "proper" hardcore drag car YET!! what scoff has achieved is outstanding dont get me wrong! put i still think a 5 could go much faster with the right parts on it!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly nice pic a of honda there

Dont get your point here tho, are you after a fast C1j or a fast 5 shell??

Dont forget there are a couple members on here pushing the c1j in drag with some awsome results. But at the end of the day you can only flow so much, hence why scoff jumped up to the modern f4r engine. He prob wont like bigging him up much but im sure his car will take some records this year and prob be one of the front runners in UK for the fastest FWD car in the near future.. what more do you want? lol

Post Thanks / Like

without blowing smoke up scoffs arse...

his car is road legal, and in theory he could drive to the pod and home again, and its a car, not half car half spaceframe, and for that reason alone its impressive

Post Thanks / Like

And lets not forget, SFWD class cars are knocking on the door of them hot rods with pizza cutters...

Here is a fully legal road car which could drive to and from events aswell..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxFV1...eature=related

Not bad for a front wheel drive b18....

Post Thanks / Like

if i was thinking along these lines id be thinking standard r5 with some kind of evil powerplant....v8....??....look at those taz racing fiats?,think there fiats,look standardish apart from wheelie bars an nothing to out of the norm..

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a bodywork company doing show cars, I had a mk2 astra i made a full flip front end. Cost me around £300 in fibreglass to make including molds! i also did the tailgate wings inc flares and doors hole project set me back £1500 with molds which i have sold now! so i'm sure a flip front end in carbonfibe wouldn't cost 7k! not sure on the price of raw carbon but im sure in bulk its not that expensive?! As with the 120bhp will do 120mph i'd say its more to do with areodynamics than you would think also a major thing is the grearing...

Key things are:

Low bias weight
    Streamlined areodynamics/downforce
    traction
    Power/torque

I'd say in that order!

P.s that civic is a monster!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wet layed carbon you could no doubt do for less than 5 large but the weight saving over grp would be minimal. On the other hand a well made pre preg front end which i think Andrew was reffering to would cost a small fortune. We have a carbon fibre department where I work these are a couple of pieces we make

This flybridge hatch cost around £2000 to make

This radar arch cost on the region of £5000 to make, both pre preg carbon and then finished with 5 coats of clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REBEL GT TURBO View Post
    I used to have a bodywork company doing show cars, I had a mk2 astra i made a full flip front end. Cost me around £300 in fibreglass to make including molds! i also did the tailgate wings inc flares and doors hole project set me back £1500 with molds which i have sold now! so i'm sure a flip front end in carbonfibe wouldn't cost 7k! not sure on the price of raw carbon but im sure in bulk its not that expensive?! As with the 120bhp will do 120mph i'd say its more to do with areodynamics than you would think also a major thing is the grearing...

Key things are:

Low bias weight
    Streamlined areodynamics/downforce
    traction
    Power/torque

I'd say in that order!

P.s that civic is a monster!!
    how much faster was your Astra after spending that time and money on fibreglass?

Sit down with a pen and paper and work out how much each item in your list will affect the 1/4 mile time. I did, and did the time to back it up. Like I said before, work out the numbers and use them to prove your theories.

I included the whole power curve, gear ratios, aero dynamics, weight distribution, centre of gravity, all those great things that 'make a difference'. The only bit I ignored was drivetrain inertia, I built light, but didn't calculate the effect. It's quite a big effect, and one I'd include if I was calulating again, not that I could do much about reducing it.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Andrew Cooke;207985]how much faster was your Astra after spending that time and money on fibreglass?

It knocked 5 seconds of the 0-60 and im went onto 165mph but let off!

No i know what you mean andy! it maybe didnt do that much but it looked cool

It defo lightend it up! but then again vauxhall doors weight a ton compaired to gt turbo ones! i bet the steel panels weight less than fibreglass ones would!