Post Thanks / Like

Fuel problems!! please help me guys!

Hi Folks,
    I bought my 5 off TrixNFlix last weekend who is a proper nice chap!
    It had a fuel issue when i got it thought to be the fuel regulator!
    Ive now fitted a new (OE) one from renault stockport today! There is a air/fuel meter fitted in the car which Trix said it should be reading around low 13's on idle and drop to 12 or so when you hit the loud pedal!
    I fired it up and on idle it was reading between 13.8/14.8
    Which im told is a little high also when it comes in boost its going round to 16/17 max in the red on the meter!!! the boost is coming in ok but im worried because its still not right!! Trix checked the fuel pump which was fine and thinks it could be s**t caught in the carb!!

Any help please guys! I wanaa get out in it this weekend!

Thanks

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel problems!! please help me guys!

Idle matey should be around 14.7 matey it will fluctuate a tad. Could just be a case of cleaning carb idle jet out a few times could even be a small air leak around the carb base somewhere, or exhaust manifold leaking etc....

16/17 is very lean matey and dangerous to drive at those afr readings (could do a h/g suffer det / knock etc.. to name a few things that could go wrong, what boost is it running?? I would turn it right down if I was you. You wanting to be hitting 12.1 @ WOT max really.

I would also be tempted to T in an old psi boost gauge to the fuel line to make sure you are getting 4psi above boost pressure throughout.

Post Thanks / Like

Its running standard boost mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the FPR boost pressure reference pipe is not connected to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    All the pipes are connected to the fpr! is the boost pressure fef pipe something else??

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post

Post Thanks / Like

It should be the pipe from the fpr to the carb top. if it's no connected or leaking you end up running mega lean on boost. have a go blowing down it to see if it's leaking or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Idle matey should be around 14.7 matey it will fluctuate a tad. Could just be a case of cleaning carb idle jet out a few times could even be a small air leak around the carb base somewhere, or exhaust manifold leaking etc....

16/17 is very lean matey and dangerous to drive at those afr readings (could do a h/g suffer det / knock etc.. to name a few things that could go wrong, what boost is it running?? I would turn it right down if I was you. You wanting to be hitting 12.1 @ WOT max really.

I would also be tempted to T in an old psi boost gauge to the fuel line to make sure you are getting 4psi above boost pressure throughout.
    James idle on this is 13.9 which equates to 1.5% co2's which is perfect. Boost is running at 0.6 bar, which is at manifold. The carb was an item bought from fellow member michael tierney which was fully rebuild by him. . As every carb i have had i got air leaking from the choke spindle, so this was removed and the hole taped out and sealed.I boost leaked tested this to 1 bar with no leakage. After having an hour to look at the car before russel came round to the car i started her up and took her for a spin. This is when i noticed the car leaning out on boost. Managed to hook up boost gauge to the fuel line and got 4 psi on idle, this did not increase on boost. A ha i thought must be the fuel reg. Had a spare which i changed, to no avail. Same readings again no increase over 4 psi.
    Now Russel has bought a new one and is still having the same problem. So i cant be that. Ive cranked the engine over with the fuel line going into a milk bottle and i filled it up pretty quick (this was your old ph1 fuel pump James). Its as if the enrichment side of the carb isnt working. Prior to last weekend when i drove her before russel came, the car hadn't realy been driven for a month. Also the car is running cup mod, with just boost reference taken from top of carb and accelerator jet open to atmosphere. Any ideas guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Where does the FPR boost pressure reference pipe go to??? does it run from the fpr??
    cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REBEL GT TURBO View Post
    Where does the FPR boost pressure reference pipe go to??? does it run from the fpr??
    cheers
    top of fpr to alloy carb top.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick sketch to make sure ive not had a blonde moment with hooking up the fuel reg.

Post Thanks / Like

the pipe is connected ok! ran my hand down it and it seems solid??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Just a quick sketch to make sure ive not had a blonde moment with hooking up the fuel reg.
    This is how i did it matey!

Post Thanks / Like

You might be getting the flow from the pump but dropping on pressure. Could be the fuel pump at fault.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    You might be getting the flow from the pump but dropping on pressure. Could be the fuel pump at fault.
    Well i'll have to try the fuel pump! i'll check for any air leaks aswel! Anyone got a pump for sale?? pm

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

are you sure the AFR gauge is right?

Maybe its giving duff reading? Why not buy a mechanics stethoscope and listen to see if its detting....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post

Maybe its giving duff reading? Why not buy a mechanics stethoscope and listen to see if its detting....
    I dunno i think it is right! I'll hopefully sort it saturday!! i wanna go for a blast

Post Thanks / Like

Ashy the gauge is an aem one. These very rarely go wrong. Pretty sure theres no air leaks in the turbo elbow or down pipe leading to the sensor. You can feel the car leaning off without looking at the gauge.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the car is making a lot of (air) hissing noises! as boost comes in it hissis. Might just be the air intake noise! then you get the wastegate chatter which all may be normal?! my last 5 had the wastegate chatter but dont remeber it hissing so much?? and my last one was running 17psi this one is 9psi!

Post Thanks / Like

could it be an air leak somewhere??

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the car is making a lot of (air) hissing noises! as boost comes in it hissis. Might just be the air intake noise! then you get the wastegate chatter which all may be normal?! my last 5 had the wastegate chatter but dont remeber it hissing so much?? and my last one was running 17psi this one is 9psi!
    if the hissing starts when you throttle up id say 7psi was escaping from a split or loose boost pipe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapymech View Post
    if the hissing starts when you throttle up id say 7psi was escaping from a split or loose boost pipe
    Yeah as soon as the turbo starts up it starts hissing loads!! i'll check for a hole or split in the boost pipe!

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah as soon as the turbo starts up it starts hissing loads!! i'll check for a hole or split in the boost pipe!
    when you fix the leak keep an eye on the boost gauge you dont want more than 16psi

Post Thanks / Like

if the car was not getting enough air would that not run rich?? so maybe air isnt the problem?? gonna check for leaks in hoses, Give the carb a clean and if this fails i'll change the fuel pump!! If this fails i'll buy a honda!
    Last edited by REBEL GT TURBO; 11-03-2011 at 00:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Id be checking the fpr reference pipe for splits. If the pipe is fine hook up a gauge and see if the fuel pressure is 4psi above boost pressure(at carb top) when on boost.

You could run the fuel pipe into a bucket, pressurise the reference pipe with a footpump to a bar or so and see if the flow increases for a static test if you dont have a fuel pressure gauge.

Could be something as simple as blocked fuel filter too, or fuel pump on its last legs causing lack of flow.

If the fpr is working check out the enrichment side of the carb for blockages/faults etc. If it has been stood a while could be some ****e floating about. If all else fails try another wideband, sensor could have failed never say never?!

Post Thanks / Like

Well story so far....Been and picked an uprated fuel pump from fellow member cheers 6129 from Derby nice geeza!

So ive now fitted a new (OE) fuel regulator, Fitted the uprated fuel pump, Checked all pipes and hoses for leaks, Run Redex fuel system cleaner and cleaned the jets with carb cleaner(carb in place) just took the rhs off to get to the main jet etc.

It now idles at 13.7 in the (green) on the afm which is better than at first, If i sit and rev to 5k rpm it stays around 13.7/8 But when moving and the revs rise as its coming on boost its jumping up to 15/17 on the afm (red)

??? i dont get it it idles ready smooth at 900rpm, starts really well, Theres no over run when i shut it off.....Rob@Backyard says it could be the small filter in the carb block by s**t! ! i'll have to check it!
    Last edited by REBEL GT TURBO; 12-03-2011 at 21:10.

Post Thanks / Like

Just been outside and fired her again...ive noticed that if i leave it for a while it starts up but says 15 on the afm at first then slowly drops down to 13.8 again! which makes me think it must be s**t in the carb somewhere or the fuel filter! the filter was new only 4kmiles ago tho shouldnt be f@@ked already! think i best get the carb off tomoz and strip it down clean it up and check that small filter! will it run ok without the filter fitted in the carb??

Post Thanks / Like

14.7 is the aim on idle, mine idles at 15.2 ish which is a little lumpy on a standard cam, but only slightly lumpy im just trying to eek some mpg out of it.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

can you try another carb?

Post Thanks / Like

can you try another carb?
    No mate not got another one to try!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    14.7 is the aim on idle, mine idles at 15.2 ish which is a little lumpy on a standard cam, but only slightly lumpy im just trying to eek some mpg out of it.
    What is yours dropping to when coming on boost mate??

Post Thanks / Like

about 13 at 15psi standard carb, fmic and t25/28ish

Post Thanks / Like

Well today ive cleaned the carb out flushed it thu with redex carb cleaner and still got the problem!!!

The only thing i can think of is it still the carb, I think its leaking air from somewhere! If i listen to the engine from above and just blip the throttle i can hear a hissing noise like air escaping! not sure where from tho??? ive checked all the pipes hoses and bolts, dosent sound like the manifold!

Its idling really smooth...but if i push the throttle down fast it tries to stall out and jumps to 16/17 on the afm!!

Im running out of ideas and not bein a mechanic also the ablity to resolve it!!

Anyone available to have a butchers at it near me???
    Also anybody got a carb up for grabs??

Cheers guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a blocked idle jet. Remove, separate into pieces, clean/blow through with carb cleaner, check and clean o-ring, clean inside the carb where the o ring would sit, reassemble idle jet and screw back into place :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GanJaMan View Post
    Sounds like a blocked idle jet. Remove, separate into pieces, clean/blow through with carb cleaner, check and clean o-ring, clean inside the carb where the o ring would sit, reassemble idle jet and screw back into place :-)

Done this today mate! still same problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try the little filter where the fuel enters the carb? fitted new main fuel filter?

Post Thanks / Like

Does it feel like its being starved of fuel or is it missing at high rpms? a missfire would show as a lean mixture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Did you try the little filter where the fuel enters the carb? fitted new main fuel filter?
    No i couldnt find the little filter! couldnt remember where its situated! not fitted a main fuel filter the one fitted has done 4k miles!

It was popping at the exhaust when i first got it! that seams to have gone now! i'll find that filter and clean it

Maybe it could be missfiring?! it runs perfect at low revs but as soon as i floor it or the revs go up it goes over to red on the gauge! it holds ok at high revs!

It seams to be if i rev it fast!

Post Thanks / Like

Well ive cleaned the fuel filter in the carb it was full of s**t! ive left it out till i get a new one!

I then took the plugs out and they were BLACK!!! cleaned them and re-fitted! fired it up annnnnnnnd its just as bad!! yayyyy!!

This is mad! gonna get new plugs and a new fuel filter! and start from fitting the filter then blow a foot pump thu the main fuel pipe then check that everything is ok with the lines from the fuel regulator then fit a new carb fuel filter and strip the carb down and clean it proper! fit nes plugs and see how that goes!!! anybody got a new fuel filter?? or carb filter??

cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any fuel coming out the carb from around the acc pump jet gasket area (driver side of carb over rocker cover)? Also defo test the fuel reg ref pipe as mentioned earlier. Is fuel squirting out the pump jet properly? Not dribbling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    Is there any fuel coming out the carb from around the acc pump jet gasket area (driver side of carb over rocker cover)? Also defo test the fuel reg ref pipe as mentioned earlier. Is fuel squirting out the pump jet properly? Not dribbling?
    no mate no fuel leaks anywhere! yeah its squirting like my misses!

Post Thanks / Like

no mate no fuel leaks anywhere! yeah its squirting like my misses!
    vids/pics please

Post Thanks / Like