South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

err..daily is going wrong..help

, right after boosting up the bypass in the daily...the catch tank decides to fill and pop the lid...oil everywhere.., cars sounds like its tappetts really need doing and the afr`s are in the red....17`s.., whats peoples thoughts...im really thinking the bottom end is gone..., its doesnt sound to knocky just tappy to the max , ive checked the coolant etc , all is fine that end from what i can tell etc... why , ohh why did i sell the micra and get a gtt as a daily..., thoughts please people...
    Ohh car is running 22psi and was fuelling at 14afr on idle and 12.5 under boost etc..never changed.....till now..., cant see owt else has changed..no extra smoke from exhaust etc etc....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: err..daily is going wrong..help

Get a compression test done Matt, good starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

Blocked breathers?

Post Thanks / Like

very good points boys...sounds like a blimmin good plan..., anything else, anyone?..

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re PM you need to do a compression test like the guys say matt If oil pressure is OK and if the noise doesn't worsen as the engine warms then its not the bottom end.

Is it still breathing heavy ? You might have melted a piston or killed some rings or broke a ring land.

Also you might have just bent a push rod.

22psi is a fair lump of boost for 12.5:1 afr, you want to be a bit richer than that if you want it to be bomb proof. At that boost you ought to have a minimum of standard C/R too, so no skimmed heads and all that else your getting close on the dreaded det threshold

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

get a compressor test done. my friends done that many years ago and it turn out to be a cracked liner on cyclinder 1. get it done asap befour anything more gets damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

as above,i can help with a cracked liner matty if thats the route to take..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys , looks like a bit of investigation is on the cards..., whatever it looks quite bad.., just when i was enjoying it too.., bloody engine bay was so clean you could eat your dinner off it too..., ahh well, ta for the advice like people , jay i may just take you up on that offer too.....bugger , i suppose i shouldnt drive the ole girl till i suss out whats what then....

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of interest , what would cause the afr`s to get totally off the scale etc , into the red?..when i was driving home they were fine..it wasnt untill i turned it on again this happened..., the catch tank was full of an oillly liquid.., i havent checked the breathers , im assuming if the catch tank was full, they probally arent blocked....err , now im getting myself puzzled..

Ps oil pressure was 18psi when on idle at 72deg.

Post Thanks / Like

When was the last time you checked your catch tank before this hiccup? As in the winter mine is always filling up. But don't lose any fluids. If the catch tank got to full it would have trouble breathing and just blow the contents of it out the breather and everywhere.

As for the noise is the car missing at all? I had a loud tapping last month was a valve making love to a piston...... get that rocker cover off and have a look about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    When was the last time you checked your catch tank before this hiccup? As in the winter mine is always filling up. But don't lose any fluids. If the catch tank got to full it would have trouble breathing and just blow the contents of it out the breather and everywhere.

As for the noise is the car missing at all? I had a loud tapping last month was a valve making love to a piston...... get that rocker cover off and have a look about.
    yeah sounds about right logg..ill get on it , when i have some time bud.it does sound now like its missing a wee bit too...

Post Thanks / Like

right, got a compression kit...so im gonna get the rocker cover off and do a comp test..so we shall see, interstingly at temp {73-82} it holds oil pressure on idle at 18psi and rises underload as norm....so im guessing the bottom end MAY be ok?,gawd it sounds like the tappetts are long over due though..., still , we shall see on thurs..., the breather pipe to the catch tank is like a chimmney though....i think the cij just needs nicorettes.., ahh well , the boost aint going down and i will not surrender to the french schlaggggg...

Post Thanks / Like

You dont need to take the rocker cover of Matt, just whip the plugs out. Cold engine, throttle wide open

Post Thanks / Like

the breather pipe to the catch tank is like a chimmney though....i think the cij just needs nicorettes..,

My c1j with its homemade pipe was smoking at least 40 cigs a day!

After mallory i pulled it apart and replaced the rings and had new valve guides and c20let seals.
    The machine guy said the guides were well past there date and were also shortened ?

Anyway im on route to plumming it all back togeather, but this could be one of your causes for your 5 wanting a puff now and then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    You dont need to take the rocker cover of Matt, just whip the plugs out. Cold engine, throttle wide open
    ...i see how it reads..., i meant compression test first , then rocker cover off for an inspection maybe..., wish me luck people, i miss my daily rocket , the works van isnt quite the same....

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with it, mines been sat on my drive with no engine in for 3 months

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Good luck with it, mines been sat on my drive with no engine in for 3 months
    , cheers steve , that wont be happening..i hope , i wanna be back in the hot seat by the end of next week ...whatever..

just out of intrest , the tappetts sounded like they needed doin a while ago...now they sound like a loud sewing machine...very loud, am i correct in assuming if the tappets are really bad etcc , this is enough to mess up the afr`s?.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post

, cheers steve , that wont be happening..i hope , i wanna be back in the hot seat by the end of next week ...whatever..

just out of intrest , the tappetts sounded like they needed doin a while ago...now they sound like a loud sewing machine...very loud, am i correct in assuming if the tappets are really bad etcc , this is enough to mess up the afr`s?.....
    Could do, esp. if a couple are bent
    Also if your catch tank was full it would block the breather side of things which won't help buddy.
    Also check the one way valves on the inlet if you have them fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Could do, esp. if a couple are bent
    Also if your catch tank was full it would block the breather side of things which won't help buddy.
    Also check the one way valves on the inlet if you have them fitted.
    cool , err where are the one way vavles buddy/...

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    cool , err where are the one way vavles buddy/...

Back of the inlet manifold facing the bulkehad just below the carb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Back of the inlet manifold facing the bulkehad just below the carb
    ...sorry a blonde jesus there..., cheers for pm too james!!!, right more things to the list...., ahh well , here goes....

Post Thanks / Like

Comp test it mate & go from there sorry for not getting back to you on sun my fone has been playing up

Post Thanks / Like

How did the comp test go Matt?

It shouldn't sound like a sewing machine really, correctly gapped tappets should be nigh on silent