Post Thanks / Like

paint reaction, why?

had a respray done a few years ago by a body shop, had all the proper gear/set up with spray booth/ oven.

noticed a while back that there was dimples appearing, looked like rust forming but was also on plastic work. the worst affected area is the roof spoiler, it's literally cover with evenly spaced dimples.

it's now appearing on all surfaces, i had it on the windscreen surround and basically it seems to be tiny air bubbles under the paint between the original paint and new paint. it doesn't break the surface and is still hard but when scrapped it comes away easily and isn't bonded (?) to anything

can anybody tell me why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint reaction, why?

sounds like the same thing that happened on my gtt a few years ago, basicly the bubbles only appeared after 2 years after the car had been painted, and it all happened after we had that really bad/cold winter with all that frost

my guess is that when the car was getting painted there was moisture in the bodywork which was painted over, and cause it was that cold in the winter it froze the moisture behind the paint

Post Thanks / Like

The same has happened to my bonnet, after we had a load of snow. The whole bonnet is covered in little dimples.

Post Thanks / Like

water based paint doing summet funky?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like micro blisters to me, could be a number of things, water entrapment, solvent entrapment . Take the car back to where you had it painted and get them to sort it. When you scraped the blisters off did it smell of solvent?