Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

gt2871r turbo or gt3071

anybody running the above turbo units , thinking of investing in a new turbo jan /feb next year and would like something abit more update and robust ,as the ching chong china turbo at the mo is not looking to great for the f7p

Post Thanks / Like

Re: gt2871r turbo or gt3071

I'd be interested in which way you go, the 2871 was a turbo I was looking at for my build tbh, it may be to big for me unless I go forged though, should be a good unit for you though heard nothing but good things about it, I know nothing about the 3071 though.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a GT28RS on my clio Trophy when I was at national day and it was putting out 341bhp@1 bar which gave great spool and solid performance. Obviously that's on an F4R engine but it's definately a turbo I'd consider unless your after 400+bhp.

I've since swapped it out to a bigger unit and have lost over 20 lb/ft and 20 bhp at some points below 4000rpm If I was doing it again I'd stick with the gt28rs and maybe up the boost to 1.2-1.5 bar.

Heres the graphs the first one is the GT28RS @ 1.bar the other is the bigger unit at 1.2 bar

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

speedy what size did you move up to, the more i look at the gt2860r and gt2871r , im just a bit concerned it might choke up on the turbine side , as i want enough flow for both super and turbo and want a bigger compressor to make the most of the compound setup also..
    might even go with the gt2876/gt3076

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of the RS even more now after looking at the graphs.. I wonder how the 2871 would compare against it.
    As you say though if you aren't looking for 400+ it may be a waste, then again, maybe the RS is ideal for what I want if I do want to push it a bit.
    I had a GT28R on my old Rover that was running DTA & cams & that made 262/260 @ a bar boost, so I also was considering that for a while but the RS may be a bit nicer on the old gearbox as well..
    Maybe for what I need the 28R would do... Hmm, need to make up my mind how far I'm going I think..
    Sorry for the hi-jack

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

got my heart set on a gt3071r with a divided t3 flange.82 exhaust housing matched with a 4" inlet compressor side and 2.5" outlet, for the compound set up,

goal is 400bhp the idea being the eaton will pull upto 3500rpm then the turbo takes over to 7500rpm and hopefully reducing some of the turbo lag,

maybe even go with the .63 exhaust but unsure if this will choke up to much much top end

thoughts anybody!!!

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinell Steve, every opertunity you get to post your frickin RR printouts!!

Hope your new year resolution is never to post them again......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Kinell Steve, every opertunity you get to post your frickin RR printouts!!

Hope your new year resolution is never to post them again......
    When i shut my eyes, them printout images remain!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    speedy what size did you move up to, the more i look at the gt2860r and gt2871r , im just a bit concerned it might choke up on the turbine side , as i want enough flow for both super and turbo and want a bigger compressor to make the most of the compound setup also..
    might even go with the gt2876/gt3076
    The second graph is a GT2871R

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers speedy, going for the gt3071r plotted a few flow charts and that seemed the best cutting through its most efficient island at 300 -400bhp with out straying to far over the surge line, although i will prob run a anti surge compressor housing ,just in case

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think getting air into the engine will be your problem, your exhaust gases will be the issue.

What style manifold are you going for? how big is the turbine wheel and turbine housing?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

How does your SC work in conjunction with the turbo Andy ? Does the SC effectively become redundant once the turbo is working hard enough, or are they both always in contribution ? If the latter then that'll affect your compressor sizing in a big way!

With the SC you could afford to go huge on the turbine. 0.82ar T25 minimum at a guess

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry for the late reply

speedy
    the cast log manifold at the mo, just to see ,where it becomes a restriction and how much , will go to a equal tubular type with divided collecor/flange in the future if this manifold lets me down. again once i get to 400 bhp thats it, im not greedy
    (all lies gearbox worries really)
    scoff
    they will both be in contribution, was going with a 60mm turbine /84 trim on a t3 flange with a .72, mainly because i intended to use this exhaust housing for ease of use plumbing in the external wastegate and pipe work back into the exhaust system (180 degree bend)
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GTH

which they do on a t3 flange ,coupled with this 3"v band connector
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant..._Code=ATP-FLS1

been reading up on the "ronin lotus exige" this is compound charged and pushed over 550bhp with a "precision turbo" gt35r, hence why i settled with the gt30 unit , his car runs a mp62 supercharger , which i think is a little bigger flow wise than my m62/45, couldnt find out what psi he was pushing out of that unit either

just an idea

thoughts or suggestions please

Post Thanks / Like

Well as you can see in the graph above the gt2871r is flowing 374bhp on it's own so the 71mm compressor and the combination of the SC will easily flow 400bhp.

I'd be worried about how close you're operating to the surge line though, the combination of joint pressure from both SC and Turbo Vs the actual Turbo compressor airflow would be an interesting thing to plot on the compressor map

I'm also using a log manifold, so again it's tested to 374bhp so I don't think you need to worry about that.

That T25 special turbine housing is a very good shout, I actually have a brand new one and it looks as though it will give much better air flow than the .64 or .86 normally found on the gt28. Unfortunately I'm having a massive change of plans and am selling both the housing and my 600mile old GT2871R.

What box are you using?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

your right , i think it will cross over the surge line at around 4000 rpm ish, but well over to the left side of the at around 7200 hoping the anti surge housing will help out there,

with regards to the gearbox , well im still sticking with the jc5 box , the circlip is welded in and i have a reinforcement plate to tap and fix to over the top of that, have also fitted a oil temp gauge to box just to how hot it gets with big power being pushed through it so to speak, have filled with millers crx 70x140nt again just to try and help with the temps that might be produced and help with thermal break down anything over 100 degrees prolonged use is going to start killing the internals at a guess

my box came of a laguna td , which is supposed to have a longer 4 & 5th gear compared to the williams megane box , but who knows ,a lot will prob depend on the condition/use its had

what box do you use and how well/and long has it it held at 374 hbp

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just to add that ronin exige was a 1800cc @ 550bhp

fitted a stroker (2.1 or 2.0) i think, and took it over 700bhp using a mr2 mk2 gearbox

may be go down that route if this box goes

Post Thanks / Like

I run a JC5-128 gearbox out of a Clio 1.5 DCi 80

It was a great little gear box and even coped with National day. However I blew it up at earlier this month

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
    I run a JC5-128 gearbox out of a Clio 1.5 DCi 80

It was a great little gear box and even coped with National day. However I blew it up at earlier this month
    so what plans have you got now gearbox wise? maybe we should get a group by for a limited run of sadev boxes made to handle big torque

what let go anyway

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

your going vag or civic route at a guess