Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New Backyard D16 Project

I'd say you could try my turbo, but I don't know if i'll be using it soon. It's a tad on the large side and all I know is it'll flow 60lbs per min.

Not to mention it's bloody heavy, and a twin scroll.

what's the new turbo you've ordered?

Anoter quick question. What size compressor wheel were you using with that turbine wheel as the hot side look fairly small, GT/T28 sized infact.

Post Thanks / Like

62mm ind, 84 exd... .70 housing..

Post Thanks / Like

That's a big arse compressor wheel for the size of the turbine wheel. I'm a little suprised you didn't have surging issues.

even my compressor wheel isn't that big, i've only got a 78mm ex x 54mm in and that's ''apparently'' rated to 600bhp. My turbine wheel exducer is 60mm with a 69.5 inducer.

I'll be honest, the turbo cost me nothing and if I don't get what I want it'll get dumped for a 3076R twin scroll
    Last edited by Adam L; 19-04-2010 at 22:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Well today was like one of those Xmas days again ...But looks like ill defo not have a cam for the rtoc event tho now considering to cancel it leave the car as it is and start to fund the B engine... For now tho the turbo can sit there, im drinking that can and going out on the slash
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

wot no ported shroud

Post Thanks / Like

lol, your familiar with the unit then.

billet compressor wheel though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    lol, your familiar with the unit then.

billet compressor wheel though
    nope, maybe I should have a read up. It just strikes me as the kind of thing that might surge

Post Thanks / Like

ohhh, billet compressor wheel, very flash

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like my 35r compressor - no shroud on that either. I do have a shrouded cover for it though, never bothered fitting it since it didn't seem to surge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    That looks like my 35r compressor - no shroud on that either. I do have a shrouded cover for it though, never bothered fitting it since it didn't seem to surge
    yep looks sim to our old one too, as for shroud find me a honda that needs it.. they seem work ok without surge...........

Post Thanks / Like

Just been out testing and some breif mapping... all seems well.. hope to have a good weekend and improve from the first round...

Post Thanks / Like

Must be well over due some updates... the only update i have from tonight is that a B18C4 now sits in Backyard Racings hands....

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh, thats it, all enthusiasm for D16 will be dead then ? B18, does that mean I need to be scared ?

Post Thanks / Like

The D16 is currently being rebuilt and will see us to the then of the year.. Id like to aim high with the B , will have to see... The D is a brill motor and VERY cheap to do, prob the same price to tune as a C1J but with alot better results as you know. But with the weight class a B will suit us more, plus the gearboxs are better, loads of ratios to choise from etc etc and 11k rpm hhhhhmmmmmmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

B18 eh, should go proper well 700whp here we come. What are you chaps using for a turbo these days, precision 6262 billet ? Sorry
    Last edited by rs250nut; 08-07-2010 at 22:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so bit of an update to whats happened and where we at with this project..

Well going back to the second round of HKS, we fitted the new turbo in time and had some breif mapping before the event hoping to dail the rest of the car in down at Pod on the RWYB the saturday before the Main event, PTM show.. This didnt happen and it rained so we seemed to be in the same boat as the first round, Great!!! Long story short we made it to final via a default of TDI, but blow the gearbox on the start line so came away with second and some prize funds to help the build..

Now before the next round we had the RTOC test day, so the box was changed and the Hondata Boost controllor was bought which was really much needed. The car with anit lag and LC makes 15psi on the startline, then once moving (at our selected speed) we was running 32psi. The sudden torq was killing our box and also giving huge wheel spin in 1st and 2nd. We only running the MH 23"... Also before this event the cam finaly arrived after such a long time.. Yayyyyy..

So at Rtoc we spent most of the day/ morning trying to set the boost controller etc, which just didnt want to happen.. afternoon came round and the bleed valve came back out just so we can test the cam.. After a few runs we was back in the 10s (ok 10.9) but more importantly to me our traps where back up to 132mph.. this was huge to us as our car weights about 150kg more than what our silver car did last year.. We managed this with a good sum of less ign timing and also at stock cam timing.. we couldnt go any further as we now have maxed out (100% duty) the RC 750cc inj... so that was that back home we came...

Post Thanks / Like

So the next round for us was jap show. We wanted to make some more changes yet again and get better 60fts and 330s, so i sorted some 24.5" drags and also we shifted some weight around.. We managed to find a solid steel bar weighting 25kgs which was bolted to the front along with our 16kg bum bell weights allready sat there.. so this gave us 41kg of weight sat on the front cross member, dont forget we still have another 50kg in the foot well and under carpets.. plus we need to run a near full tank of fuel.. just to get us to pass scrutineering... also we made sum bumper holes to help the flow under the car as the rear bumper is prettty much a big wind break on these eg`s...

few pics here...

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you need a steel splitter in 1" plate, nice and low

Post Thanks / Like

After this we got down to sorting the boost controller out, and we made some good progress... just needed a few tweeks and re testing, so one evening while out, two days before the event, the big end decided to take a ****.... great... so i thought id be able to fix it intime but seems like the rod has gone too.. so that was that, i borrowed a 98 d16 coupe for the HKS to collect points and managed to run a 17.9 happy days.. TDI northwest was happy to lend me there type R FN2 but i turned it down and stuck with a single slammer...

Post Thanks / Like

So im currently sorting parts to rebuild of D, then we going to leave it at what level tune it is, or even pull some back.. then at the end of this year all our running gear will be up for grabs, including turbo, clutch, boxs, spares, inj`s... not the ecu tho..

So with all the weight we have carry (unlike you ESC boys ) our little 1590cc SOHC motor is to small for what aims we have in mind... so we picked up this.. Its currently being used as a run around then the motor and box will be ripped from it then of to the crusher for the rest.... Hopefully next year will be brighter than this one...

Post Thanks / Like

Andy i could add about another 10-12kg in lead shots yet in the very base of the front lower cross... I think over the winter we will have chance to do all this.. last winter we had to build a complete new motor and car including cage etc etc for this year, so we just havnt put time into these areas which is completly stupid as its simple gains to be had for no money...

RSnut.... correct 6262 billet... to small for the B tho..

Post Thanks / Like

Andy i could add about another 10-12kg in lead shots yet in the very base of the front lower cross... I think over the winter we will have chance to do all this.. last winter we had to build a complete new motor and car including cage etc etc for this year, so we just havnt put time into these areas which is completly stupid as its simple gains to be had for no money...

RSnut.... correct 6262 billet... to small for the B tho..
    Facking hell you boys must be going for crazy power, people in the U.S have made well over 700whp with that turbo although at quite high boost. I do agree though the 6765 billet is a nice turbo I cant wait to see this. How much do you want for the car your going to scrap, my b16 will go straight in there proper sleeper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Facking hell you boys must be going for crazy power, people in the U.S have made well over 700whp with that turbo although at quite high boost. I do agree though the 6765 billet is a nice turbo I cant wait to see this. How much do you want for the car your going to scrap, my b16 will go straight in there proper sleeper
    It should be something if we can pull it off... Will have to see.. Would like to be up there with TDI and CPL but on a budget... ... ill be in touch then and let you know what we do with it...

Post Thanks / Like

It should be something if we can pull it off... Will have to see.. Would like to be up there with TDI and CPL but on a budget... ... ill be in touch then and let you know what we do with it...
    I take it your going to sleeve it then? There is nothing more I would like to see than a tuner get his ass handed to him on a plate, and for half the money

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it will be sleeved, unsure which combo and CR to go for yet regarding rods/pistons... it seems the not many peeps like to say

Post Thanks / Like

I have had mine set to 9.0-1, i I know mines not an 18 but the two motors are not that diffrent. I asked if it were worth going higher but got told not to bother. I suppose if you were to run it on proper fuel you could get away with 10.0-1

Post Thanks / Like

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh Boom!!!!!!.... 9.86@151mph D16 on Vitaras........ SFWD class too...

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2806473

Post Thanks / Like

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh Boom!!!!!!.... 9.86@151mph D16 on Vitaras........ SFWD class too...

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2806473

I read through that thread the other day, built a engine then it spun a bearing on the dyno, rebuilt it with vitaras and it runs a 9.86 and a new d16 record. Sleeve the d16

Post Thanks / Like

its tempting

those yanks dont half get it done

Post Thanks / Like

I watched this video of miller running a 8.5 @ 173 the other day and did not know what to think, are we 10 years behind in the U.K or is it because the yanks get so much more support with sponsership etc. Saying that even the big tuners in this country have only just touched in to the 9's with a k-series

I dont know if anyone has watched it but its makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up everytime I watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0wtoLuZnc4

Post Thanks / Like

lol yeah one of my fav vids that, awesome!

yeah, there years in front of us, but you must consider drag racing is much more popular over there, and much deeper rooted, old the muscle cars etc, its what they do!
    europe is much more into corners

Post Thanks / Like

lol yeah one of my fav vids that, awesome!

yeah, there years in front of us, but you must consider drag racing is much more popular over there, and much deeper rooted, old the muscle cars etc, its what they do!
    europe is much more into corners

Post Thanks / Like

Rooooooaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i hate YANKS.... seen me coming, Mr desperate for a rod here...f***ers

Anyway lets hope i get some progress now with our D and make rota stock...

Post Thanks / Like

Rooooooaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i hate YANKS.... seen me coming, Mr desperate for a rod here...f***ers

Anyway lets hope i get some progress now with our D and make rota stock...
    Whats that have they made you buy a complete set?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope i managed get a single rod from eagle, FJ being way way to slow to get back and a nightmere to deal with at mo... they just raped me with shipping!!!.. We will have to run a one odd rod to the rest, but they all messure exactly the same, all H beam etc etc.. just the eagle is 20g heavier, so ill have to balance it out... should work ok tho..... Going to order all new ACL bearings and all gaskets early next week and once parts arrive i can get the D fully rebuilt back up.. Going to give the engine a complete strip and overhaul, chem wash, the lot... Its going up for sale after jap show final...

Post Thanks / Like

less than 2 weeks after running that 9.86, those guys just smashed out a
    9.65@153! on a d16 with cast pistons! 1590cc, and 1049kg! that is unreal

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, never underestimate the power of a single cam lump!

Post Thanks / Like

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats incredible, do we know what sort of boost they run ?

Post Thanks / Like

they mention on a thread they hit 43psi in 4th gear, and that on a 67mm inducer turbo

Post Thanks / Like

they mention on a thread they hit 43psi in 4th gear, and that on a 67mm inducer turbo
    Another car running a precision turbo and getting it done, precision 6765 billet thats the turbo Im going to use on my build

Post Thanks / Like

aiii, we may need to upgrade our 6262 for the b18, theres talk on the hks forum that one competitor is running the mitsi 4g63 engine (evo) in a fwd car running a 72mm unit, that combo is good for over 900hp (obviously if everything else done correctly)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

aiii, we may need to upgrade our 6262 for the b18, theres talk on the hks forum that one competitor is running the mitsi 4g63 engine (evo) in a fwd car running a 72mm unit, that combo is good for over 900hp (obviously if everything else done correctly)
    Thats crazy, I have seen peeps make 850whp with a 6765 on the 4G63. Whats the engine in? is it an eclipse or something? are engine swaps ok in the hks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Thats crazy, I have seen peeps make 850whp with a 6765 on the 4G63. Whats the engine in? is it an eclipse or something? are engine swaps ok in the hks?
    Its the FTO owned by Rich B... Yes hes allowed to do that swap, same manufacture...

Post Thanks / Like

Well tonight i got the engine built back up and should get it back in car later this week. We managed to find a single rod, after some messing around, but Eagle sorted us one out. So yeah its not the same make as the other 3 FJR rods but its the same dimensions, material etc, only difference is a taller cap so about 15g heavier, Ive shaved it down to match to the rest and fitted the rod next to flywheel as i feel this will help, IF any inbalance, but IMO its going to be perfect and not even an issue. Also i had to shave the crank girdle for clearance.. The block, head, oil pump the lot has all been fully stripped, checked over, Chem cleaned up and fully rebuilt with new gaskets and full ACL race bearings...

This engine is going up FORSALE after jap show final along with many other parts, turbo, injectors... The engine core with manifolds is pervisonaly sold ATM but open to offers over £1000..

Post Thanks / Like

Few more pics of the engine coming on... .. Looking forward to getting back to pod soon and see the year out with some single slamming boost before we go B18...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good rob, keep up the good work =]

Post Thanks / Like

Well making some good progress but we at a point now we really cant tune this motor anymore without changes.. We are at 100% inj duty with the 750cc, and boost is creeping alot.. after 7500k rpm is where our creep starts and we really cant rev it more than 9k even though the motor wants too and STILL carrys is torq well .. From 7.5-9k we creep about 5psi much more we going to lean due to the 100% duty.. our total boost is 35psi but going to set the cut at 40psi.. We could start upping the fuel pressure more but in someway i dont want to puch this motor anymore than this... With a decent set of manifolds, bigger gate, new injectors.. and better ign coil could make some impressive figures... Must say these D`s are awsome things for the cost...

Now for the worms...Total whp made today was 498hp but never saved this run tipical... but saved a 488hp run with graph below..

Would like to thank Paul West @ TDI Northwest for giving us access to the dyno and workshop and leaving us to it with his gear etc top guys...
    Last edited by Rob@Backyardracing; 17-08-2010 at 19:48.