Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smoking on idle

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi everyone i've been deciding wether to sell my 5 i've listed it on ebay but i really don't wanna sell! the problem is after its been on idle for a minute or two it begins to smoke. i've done a comp test which came back as 150 130 152 156 is the 130 a bit low? i do have a bottom end built up in my garage using all new parts which i've been meaning to get finished for a while, should i build my engine up and drop it in or sell as it is? i know it could also be the turbo which i've changed for a known good one but i still get the problem, i'm just getting a bit tierd of throwing money at the car and getting no enjoyment or very little back. any advice would be great Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoking on idle

what colour is the smoke? Blue? White?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daz7811 View Post

Hi everyone i've been deciding wether to sell my 5 i've listed it on ebay but i really don't wanna sell! the problem is after its been on idle for a minute or two it begins to smoke. i've done a comp test which came back as 150 130 152 156 is the 130 a bit low? i do have a bottom end built up in my garage using all new parts which i've been meaning to get finished for a while, should i build my engine up and drop it in or sell as it is? i know it could also be the turbo which i've changed for a known good one but i still get the problem, i'm just getting a bit tierd of throwing money at the car and getting no enjoyment or very little back. any advice would be great Thanks!
    Yeah the 130 cylinder is abit low, i'd be worried about why its that low and can be the cause of the smoke. Could be worn piston rings/liner or sometjing like that, only way to know is to pull it apart and have alook.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies people i thought it looked a bit suspect but wanted another opinion the smoke is blueish i think but not really used it enough to see wether its losing oil! I'm tempted to keep and get this engine finished and have her up and running properly before i make a decision!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

how do you do a compression test? mine smokes a bit to, thought it was cold weather and its running maybe a bit rich but its quite exsessive, also coolent seems to be down about 2-3mm every few days

no mayo anywhere, its a white ish smoke but a bit like hot air hitting cold sort of thing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First you need to buy a compression testing tool. The instructions are usually on the back but basicly warm the car upto temp, take out one spark plug and screw in the tool, crank over the engine with the throttle wide open for a few seconds and the king lead off.