Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

car wont idle???

car wont idle at all now,its up and down and when driving when ya come to a stop it almost drops so low it cuts out.i re built the carb a while back and changed the air/fuel mix screw and has been fine until today it started to run a bit funny so i adjusted the air/fuel screw a bit to see if i could sort it out but now it wont idlethe car is up for sale and has been fine since iv had it until the last two weeks since its been on ebay.already had to take it off once as the rear engine mount went,plus the fuel pump relay the week before that,its driving me made might have to take it off ebay again now until i get this sorted.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: car wont idle???

carbs always drag some sh1t through so get it open and clean it again and again to see if that works.. i find its a 12th time lucky job

or air leaks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok il give that a go.if there is air leaks where could they be coming from?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulsurrey View Post
    ok il give that a go.if there is air leaks where could they be coming from?
    everywhere and anywhere.. pipes to the servo, oil breather circuit etc

i was wondering why mine ran ruff years ago and while daydreaming noticed my carb wobbled while i was resting on it like a teapot.. the base screws had come loose at the bottom of the carb.. so many things to check, just knock them off one by one

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok mate il give it a go,will take carb off make sure its all ok with 5mm drill bit,clean it and tighten everything up.just hope it sorts it as it ends on ebay on saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Give the idle jet a clean.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i gave it a clean today,didnt make any difference,but i did notice the rubber o ring was nakered,so put a different one in that was a squeeze over the idle valve but still ran the same,all up and down.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

whe i do the 5mm drill bit job on the carb does it need to be tight or so the drill bit can just slide in and out

Post Thanks / Like

Ajusting the acc arm wont sort the idle, 5mm drill bit only gives you a base to work off. I always have to fiddle with the linkage to iron out flat spots.

If the idle jet is clean, mixture screw is intact you must have an air leak, check the carb base, one way valves on inlet. If you have the standard breather pipe to back of inlet check that for splits & see if the restrictor is intact.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was about to post this problem ...going to source it 2mora ..also im getting a strong smell of fuel ...so going to check everything ..and clean the idle jet also

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulsurrey View Post
    i gave it a clean today,didnt make any difference,but i did notice the rubber o ring was nakered,so put a different one in that was a squeeze over the idle valve but still ran the same,all up and down.
    I would double check that the o-ring you've used is sealing all the way round. Take the idle valve out again and check that the o-ring hasn't been pinched. If it has replace it and lube it up with some WD40 and screw the valve back in nice and slow. Do the same with current o-ring if it looks ok.

Report back on how you got on.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

its not the correct o ring,where could i get one from if that is the problem?will have a look tomz,will take carb off too and give a good clean,will take all vacuum hoses off too and clean and check.if i cant sort it tomz il be taking it off ebay again as it ends saturday