Post Thanks / Like

Brakes will not perform

I have inherited this car and it's been fighting me all the way .I've had to undo and rebuild almost every bit that the previous owner has had done

I'm at the end of my tether with this one .
    New master cylinder ,bench bled and also after fitting from all outlets , all pressure bled several times .There is no air in the system and I have no leaks anywhere .If I leave the pressure bleed connected I get some brake but as soon as I disconnect the pedal goes straight to the floor
    The only thing I can think of is that the flexi lines are the wrong bore or length and the volume of the system is wrong

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brakes will not perform

Back bled it from another car?

Post Thanks / Like

Not understand .

I have just bled it the old 2 man way and I got some air out one of the rears .The fronts don't displace anything like the same amount of fluid when they are bled though .It's very noticeable ,hardly any fluid movement from them at all .

Post Thanks / Like

If you are having trouble with bleeding, back bleed with another car.....
    Park both cars nose to nose, connect a pipe/vac hose from the good cars caliper bleed nipple to the bad cars bleed nipple, press fluid from good car through the caliper to the bad car and keep topping up the good cars master cylinder....... Do it slowly, otherwise you can turn the master cyl. seals inside out.

Leeds & South Yorkshire Area Rep
    Loose Bolts Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

are you using one of those 1 man brake bleeding kits? or have you got someone pumping the pedal? i found my gt really difficult to bleed up without the kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    are you using one of those 1 man brake bleeding kits? or have you got someone pumping the pedal? i found my gt really difficult to bleed up without the kit.
    If you were having trouble bleeding the rears of the gt turbo, don't forget to wedge the load valve open and have the rear caliper notch aligned with the bled nipple. I never had a problem with gtt or Clio race cars.......

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the pressure bleed .It works great to do the GTA clutch but not the brakes for some reason .I've spoken to a guru in Ireland and he says to do it the 2 man way .I have and did manage to get some air out one of the rears .
    Then I've basically done as Matt says and tried to push some fluid back into the master via the bleed nipples .I've got a Mityvac hand pump to use as vac or pressure .
    Looks like I'm going to have to strip the whole system down .

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    Tried the pressure bleed .It works great to do the GTA clutch but not the brakes for some reason .I've spoken to a guru in Ireland and he says to do it the 2 man way .I have and did manage to get some air out one of the rears .
    Then I've basically done as Matt says and tried to push some fluid back into the master via the bleed nipples .I've got a Mityvac hand pump to use as vac or pressure .
    Looks like I'm going to have to strip the whole system down .
    Clee, have you got a bias Vv as Matt says or a hydraulic handbrake? Important to open the bias Vv.

When you pump the pedal for the 2 man method do you get a solid pedal before you release the pressure at the bleed nipple?

What brand flexi lines have you got and who made them up?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on the flexi as they came already fitted to the car .They are new .
    Never had problems like this before bleeding the GTA .
    New master ,tandem unit with chamber nearest the servo feeding to rear balance cylinder ,other port with a bleed nip .Front cylinder,one feed each for the fronts .
    The rears are coming on better than the fronts which get zilch until the pedal is fully down ,then just a tiny bit of movement
    brake.pdf

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    Not sure on the flexi as they came already fitted to the car .They are new .
    Never had problems like this before bleeding the GTA .
    New master ,tandem unit with chamber nearest the servo feeding to rear balance cylinder ,other port with a bleed nip .Front cylinder,one feed each for the fronts .
    The rears are coming on better than the fronts which get zilch until the pedal is fully down ,then just a tiny bit of movement
    brake.pdf
    Might be worth pumping the pedal until it is rock solid then bleeding through the fronts one at a time. System looks basic enough on the pdf.

Also worth checking again for the smallest of leaks, or a flexi hose swelling / blistering up when under pressure. (i had this problem and took me months to track it down, and a total failure too)

Might be worth splitting the solid / flexi unions at the front to make sure they aren't partially blocking the flow if ivertightened.

Hope you get it sorted though mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had it before with a stuck calliper causing the flexi to melt internally, no fluid would come through and couldnt get a pedal whatso ever. had to replace the flexi's see if you can get fluid before each flexi then after, before the bias valve and after(just to eliminate things)

Post Thanks / Like

You know how you can just stare at things and they just stare back at you I need to be more observant and always remember that they are always inventing a better idiot
    Whoever put the calipers on put the left on the right and the right on.......bleed feckin nips on upside down
    All sorted ,thanks for the input anyway guys

Post Thanks / Like