Post Thanks / Like

advice

First post!

I just used a spark plug chaser and a few bits of metal fell into the engine. Will these burn out or shal i change the oil and filter
    cheers

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: advice

Quote Originally Posted by R11_DAVE View Post
    First post!

I just used a spark plug chaser and a few bits of metal fell into the engine. Will these burn out or shal i change the oil and filter
    cheers
    They will not burn out. If metal has entered the cylinders through the spark plug hole you need to get ALL of it out, or they will potentially knacker your valves, cylinder head and turbo. Changing the oil will do nothing.

I would remove the cylinder head and hoover the bores out, then bar the engine to TDC, then flush the cylinder with WD40 to be sure. You will need a new head gasket if doing this.

Why were you using a plug chaser (i assume you were re-tapping a thread?) with the head on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    They will not burn out. If metal has entered the cylinders through the spark plug hole you need to get ALL of it out, or they will potentially knacker your valves, cylinder head and turbo. Changing the oil will do nothing.

I would remove the cylinder head and hoover the bores out, then bar the engine to TDC, then flush the cylinder with WD40 to be sure. You will need a new head gasket if doing this.

Why were you using a plug chaser (i assume you were re-tapping a thread?) with the head on?

big problem bud dont run it at all!!!

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

as above you need that out..

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

& join the club. simples

Post Thanks / Like

vacuum cleaner down the sparkplug hole.....

Post Thanks / Like

high pressure air line with valves closed, and try a hoover. Try looking inside the cylinder, you should be able to see the surface of the piston when its near tdc.

Its worth spending plenty of time removing the swarf, otherwise itll cost you tenfold in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

agree, with all the above, i dropped a spark plug nipple down there years ago, was not to sure if it had went in or not. It had

Ended up head off, new gasket, head skimmed, new oil and 2 turbo ruined through the oil getting contaminated.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    vacuum cleaner down the sparkplug hole.....

well i adapted my vacume cleaner with a straw and cant see any silver bits. i have taken her on a good run (about 30 miles down the M5 and back).Ill use her tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help Mark

Dave