Post Thanks / Like

antiperc fans, good or bad?

right, i have had 3 gt turbo's in my time, and none have had a antiperc fan on them when i bought them so dont know what difference they make,

my understanding is this they stop hot start probs by cooling carb down thus stopping fuel in float chamber evaporating, and thats a good thing

but down side is they either run forever and flatten your battery, or dont run at all, catch fire and wreck your car, thats a bad thing

so are they worth it? do they stop hot start problems as i have had that on all my 5's at some point, or are they not that effective and not worth the risk of turning your pride and joy into a smouldering wreck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: antiperc fans, good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by boysie View Post
    but down side is they either run forever and flatten your battery
    That's given me an idea about why my battery seems to die sometimes... as my fan works fine. Mine seems to run for at least 20 minutes!

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to know how many 5's actually went up in flames... or is this just a myth?

Post Thanks / Like

A good thing for sure as hot starting is definately improved, perfectly safe if the fuse is fitted.

They dont run the battery flat either, if your battery goes dead its shot imo..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    A good thing for sure as hot starting is definately improved, perfectly safe if the fuse is fitted.

They dont run the battery flat either, if your battery goes dead its shot imo..
    Totally agree , I actually have a 550 battery on mine which makes any kind of starting a lot better.

I had my perc fan out for a period of time and its was really hard to start. With the perc fan it still takes a few turns when hot but dramatically reduces it.

Perc fan all day for me!

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks for replys, so no horror storys here then, i thought of fitting one and adding a 90'c thermal fuse on live so if it ceases it will melt fuse just in case inline fuse doesnt blow
    has nobody had trouble with stats failing and fan running on permanatly then? i thought that was one of the other main faults

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine caught light years ago and that was with the fuse fitted as part of the recall Renault did. I still run one just make sure you dont use too high a rated fuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayzee View Post
    That's given me an idea about why my battery seems to die sometimes... as my fan works fine. Mine seems to run for at least 20 minutes!

It's been mentioned to me a few times about moving the sensor in the heat sheild, and cable tying it on another bracket...............further up from the turbo!

Sounds like a plan to me, then it's not sitting directly over a fooking cooking turbo!

And surely that must be reason enough for the perc fan to run on for too long??