Post Thanks / Like

Engine rebuild parts

Hello rtoc chums, need some help please, I'm wanting to no what parts il need and how much it will cost to rebuild a c1j engine, Mines seen better days and Briggs has an engine there that would be ideal to rebuild, anyone got some brand new parts they may want rid of? Thanks for anyones help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine rebuild parts

Quote Originally Posted by benj88 View Post
    Hello rtoc chums, need some help please, I'm wanting to no what parts il need and how much it will cost to rebuild a c1j engine, Mines seen better days and Briggs has an engine there that would be ideal to rebuild, anyone got some brand new parts they may want rid of? Thanks for anyones help!
    I would say around the £550-£600 mark, piston and liner set £300, top end gasket set £45, bottom end gasket set £35, head skim £40, Oil filter £10, Oil £20, Oil pump re- furb kit £60, clutch £100 etc etc etc. Mike 16v aka http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk/ is your best bet, super cheap, good quality parts and a top gezza

Only thing is I have heard a cup of tea costs money these days

Post Thanks / Like

cheers pal

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

thats about the cost i thought id come in at building an engine, then you might mod/machine the odd part, change the cam etc.........then why stop there gets out of hand..

i spotted a good spec engine come up and snapped it up.. saves me time and money in the long run..

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hijack this thread but just wondering wheres best spot to go to for head skim cos £40 sounds better than £250 for a refurbed head

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
    thats about the cost i thought id come in at building an engine, then you might mod/machine the odd part, change the cam etc.........then why stop there gets out of hand..

i spotted a good spec engine come up and snapped it up.. saves me time and money in the long run..
    There's an engine on eBay it's camd and stuff but a don't no.. If I new it was a mint engine I'd mebys buy it, (anyone no much about it) but yeh I'd probs wona cam the engine at the same time as rebuilding it.. Makes sence dusnt it!

Post Thanks / Like

i would agree with the price above. you could buy the engine and pop the shells out and check them?
    i had my engine machined when it was in bits (crank regrind with bigger bearings, lightened flywheel etc etc)
    i got my head skimmed and presure tested for £63+vat which isnt too bad as a bew head is soo much more

Post Thanks / Like

i personally would be a werey about buying a engine off ebay, especially if you cant see it running, unless you plan on rebuilding it, i would have a look for a good one for sale on here as you know your not going to get any bs from club members like you would on ebay

or just bite the bullet and go down the rebuild route then you KNOW everything is pukka, and built to your spec

just my 2 pence!

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Often a good engine comes up for sale from a respected member on here, but if money is not so much of an issue, go for a full rebuild, I am sure brigsy can help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for everyones advice, yeh a rebuild is probs the best option, just a shame mine couldn't handle the boost lol

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

you dont HAVE to rebuild the engine, if you find a good running one just stick a top and bottom gasket set on it, with a cam of choice..

i pulled my old engine out my white gtt on 110k, did all the gaskets etc, dropped it in a clio gtt running a bar, then later dropped it in my black gtt.. ran that happily at a bar 20-30 run at pod at low boost, before setting it to a bar again with the lm2, later fitting a t28 @18psi checking it with the lm2.. gave that some abuse reving it well past 7k on standard internals as it was always pulling..

a mate owns it now and its back on a t2/t25 at 14 psi, did another 10 or so runs at pod no problem, revs well into 6k.. as far as i remember this engines always done hard miles and it delivers..

if you find or have a good engine just use it and abuse it.. carcrash on here picked up an engine for £80did a good few trackdays on it, pod etc and i've see him drive

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

mines here like Ben had a text off the previous owner got my number off ebay, he rekons engine has jut been rebuilt was running 162bhp

Post Thanks / Like

trusty old C1J, FTW

Post Thanks / Like

My engine was running sweet, put the t25 on had it at about 18psi and it was running spot on pulling like a train aswel, 130mph and we herd a bang, briggsys got the head off and the head gasket has been bodged on before so just couldn't handle the boost, but he said the pistons etc don't look to clever so looking into a rebuild, Briggs has an engine there but we don't no what it's like so mite be best to rebuild it... Or we could just wait for mine to blow up wen the heads back on, it's a shame cos my engine seemd pritty good, my clocks have 160,000 on tho so... Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Head was like a banana mate Pistons have funny marks on the crowns like a valve has dropped at some point! Still might be worth running it until it goes bang? Running ok now with new gasket

When i get from lemans ill pull the spare motor to bits, see what it needs the you have a motor on standby.

Post Thanks / Like

Bannana boost! Think that's an apsolute plan mate!

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Run what you got and build one on the side to a good spec. Tobster on here dipped a few blockS before finding one worth building up, don't start spending money on any old tat. Be really an@l about it all and it'll be well worth doing Briggs is pretty an@l on his van, looks better than any of my 5s :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benj88 View Post
    Bannana boost! Think that's an apsolute plan mate!
    bananas in the clutch