Post Thanks / Like

Hong Kong Phoohey turbos ?

Anyone used one of these ? XS power type .Will it work OK for a few hundred miles or do they feck off straight out the box
    Feel free to PM me with opinions if you'd rather not post here
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T3-T4-TURBO-CH...item439f51dd35

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hong Kong Phoohey turbos ?

I heard they are good for paper weights

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Rob @ Backyard use one on the civic.....don't think it lasted that long though....

Post Thanks / Like

Not overly worried about longevity ,more that they will not disintegrate

Post Thanks / Like

£170 for a brand new turbo

Post Thanks / Like

I ran a XS power t04e last year, we got 200miles of road mapping and driving, and after 20 pulls at pod it started to smoke, think we got 46 runs in total from the unit and a dyno run after which still pulled 440hp.. They wont last long but ideal if you cant make your mind up over which sized unit to get, like us.. Sure our xs turbo was £80 or so brand new... Bargin for testing and collecting your own data..

Saying that ive heard of guys in states use them and last a couple days and others have lasted nearly a year or so without issues...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rob .
    Yes , just want to use it for test purposes Now I need to find one for £80

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    I ran a XS power t04e last year, we got 200miles of road mapping and driving, and after 20 pulls at pod it started to smoke, think we got 46 runs in total from the unit and a dyno run after which still pulled 440hp.. They wont last long but ideal if you cant make your mind up over which sized unit to get, like us.. Sure our xs turbo was £80 or so brand new... Bargin for testing and collecting your own data..

Saying that ive heard of guys in states use them and last a couple days and others have lasted nearly a year or so without issues...

To be honest for the price, I'm quite suprised it survived that many 1/4 miles plus a dyno run!

Also just out of interest what level of boost were you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boostjunky View Post
    To be honest for the price, I'm quite suprised it survived that many 1/4 miles plus a dyno run!

Also just out of interest what level of boost were you using?
    alot of the mapping started from 10psi-25psi over the 200miles, we finished at 32psi

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I used an XS core for a while too, it just kept eating thrust bearings. Journals and all the rest held on fine! Like rob, that was a "test" item that ended up staying in the bay for a whole year. I bought a 360deg bearing kit for it in the end, that helped a lot and it did many more miles until I upgraded.

Problem is, in the world of cheap turbo's you don't know what you're getting. You can't trust the compressor/turbine dimensions they list and you can't be sure of build quality until you get it.

Post Thanks / Like

They're not as bad as everyone says, they just don't like high boost as they only run standard 270 degree thrust bearings. As Chris also mentioned, never take the wheel dimensions seriously as they're never right. I measured one for Markey Mark last year and the compressor wheel was alot smaller than the advert described.

If you really wanted it to last a bit longer just get yourself a 360 degree thrust bearing kit aswell and fit that before you start abusing it.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont suppose any of them come with carbon seals do they?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    i dont suppose any of them come with carbon seals do they?
    You wish, Mark

They're getting rare now.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, thats what your place told me in the week....

Post Thanks / Like

It's weird, i've not seen a carbon seal turbo for a long time, then we get some random Chrysler thing in from the early 80's. To stop it smoking they clamed the oil feed line off. I've only seen one T3 shaft break once before but this thing had broken in 3 places.

Post Thanks / Like

funnily enough, turbo active was selling brand new gordini turbo units off for £95 according to thir website...but they'd all sold out (funnily enough) when i called. - only had reman left - inc carriage and vat, it weighed in at £300...

Post Thanks / Like

Turbo Active are doing some really low prices. I didn't know about the T3 malarky.

Whether they're blagging it or not, I don't know. We constantly get people calling for items that we have on the shelf that's been promised cheaper by another company but we still get the sale, which is very strange.

There's actually someone on ebay selling turbo's now, for silly cheap. I don't know who he is or where he operates, but he's not doing a very good job. I took one of his turbo's apart and as soon as I saw the bearing faces on the shaft it looked downhill, then it became evident he wasn't balancing the shaft assembley...

The turbo market has become massivley competitive, more so because every Tom, Dick and Harry has jumped on the band wagon without knowing what they're doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Turbo active are/were generally crap. Ive had a couple of sub standand rebuilds off them in the past, i only tried them as they were close to my house.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Turbo Active manufacture turbos through an associated company (I recall something like DD turbos or something... could be mistaken, most likely off-shore), I forget the details now, but they supply some major OEMs. So likely the small jobs are of less interest in terms of their business strategy (?), just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Turbo active are/were generally crap. Ive had a couple of sub standand rebuilds off them in the past, i only tried them as they were close to my house.
    Me too Major FAIL. I threatened to send my turbo to garrett to investigate why it failled straight away on the second time i got it back from them, Soon sorted it out saying the shaft was faulty blah blah, Somebody told me they where using diesel parts in the turbo's but i don't know how true that was.

Post Thanks / Like

it was ceratinly odd.
    they have a list of 'new' turbos on their site, going cheap.
    but i assume that they put them on there super cheap to get you to ring up.

i even called BTN, which is who GSF deal with. - as soon as i mentioned carbon seals, the guy started flapping, and suggested i call their affiliated company , who just happened to be Turbo Dynamics. - to be fair, the woman who i spoke to did look into it and did call me back, but they were more expensive than Turbo Developments.

looks like gordini turbo owners will have to start converting to blow through set-ups rather than suck through.

sorry for the hi jack.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds about right for turbo active mate. I used to know somebody who worked there, heard loads of tales which would put me off using them again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    it was ceratinly odd.
    they have a list of 'new' turbos on their site, going cheap.
    but i assume that they put them on there super cheap to get you to ring up.

i even called BTN, which is who GSF deal with. - as soon as i mentioned carbon seals, the guy started flapping, and suggested i call their affiliated company , who just happened to be Turbo Dynamics. - to be fair, the woman who i spoke to did look into it and did call me back, but they were more expensive than Turbo Developments.

looks like gordini turbo owners will have to start converting to blow through set-ups rather than suck through.

sorry for the hi jack.
    Odd that, BTN sometimes tell people to come to us. I think they just ask where you're located and give you the closest supplier details. We're not from from them either, maybe 10 miles, and the guv is quite friendly with some of the old timers who still work there from before they were taken over.

Turbo Dynamics are playing funny games now. They were being contracted out by another company called Mellett to balance ready made cores but they fell out for an unknown reason. They primarily deal with selling balancing machines but they're a bloody horrible company to deal with, even from our point of view. Constantly full of **** and false promises.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the turbo now and the trim predictions have proved correct
    comp 76.3/50.6 44
    turbine 65.25/56 73

will just have to see how it goes