Post Thanks / Like

Mot fail :/

Well my car had it's mot on Saturday, faild on 2 things, the lights and the nsr brake isn't working.. Wen I changed my wheels the handbrake was on and you could spin the wheel as if the handbrake wasn't on, Just been doing some research and could it be the rear brake compensator? I read it can leak and leed to the rear brakes not working correctly? The garage said they will order a caliper and a handbrake cable, and they will fit them if there needed..But il just order the parts myself, just wonderd if this problem has happend to anyone else?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mot fail :/

When you say the brake isn't working do you mean the foot brake or hand brake? If the foot brake isn't working at all it could be a calliper or some sort of blockage. If it's just the hand brake that's not working it's probably dodgy cables or a seized arm on the calliper which can be cleaned/greased up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    When you say the brake isn't working do you mean the foot brake or hand brake? If the foot brake isn't working at all it could be a calliper or some sort of blockage. If it's just the hand brake that's not working it's probably dodgy cables or a seized arm on the calliper which can be cleaned/greased up.
    Hi mate, both, wen my car was jackd up with the handbrake on the wheel could still spin, and wen I put my foot on the brake it would still spin.. Think the calipers just not working?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine failed on the same thing. Was just a seized piston in the rear caliper. Lift up the rubber seal and squirt loads of wd40 inside. Then turn the piston in and out with a key wedge until it's nice and free. Simples

Post Thanks / Like

Probably be best with a new caliper matey. They generally will seize quite frequently. Take it off and inspect it, if it looks ok then its your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers lads il get it off and inspected!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

car looks good mate

Post Thanks / Like

Free the caliper off mate, 5 min job

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Free the caliper off mate, 5 min job
    ok mate, il do it sat cos I'm waiting for new pads and disks, am guna smash that starter motor wen it comes off