South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

quaiffe differentials

Can anyone reccomend someone to fit one?, do any of you have experience and trust someone whomb has fitted one?, im looking into this and thought i may as well ask on here as i know there are some usefull folk on here and some that allready have them, cheers peeps , matt.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: quaiffe differentials

Turbo ted speaks highly of a place up north called gearbox man. Drop him a pm mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    Turbo ted speaks highly of a place up north called gearbox man. Drop him a pm mate
    cheers me ole friend , will do...

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, had my Gripper fitted by them and did a good job

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/

The old cup car will be transfomed with a lsd ..... best thing I ever did with mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLARKY View Post
    Matt, had my Gripper fitted by them and did a good job

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/

The old cup car will be transfomed with a lsd ..... best thing I ever did with mine
    cheers dave, ta, im sure youre right, i hear with the gripper you have to change the driveshafts etc and they are higher maintenance than the quaiffe diff , whats your take on this buddy?, ill contact the chap in the morning for prices me thinks...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    cheers dave, ta, im sure youre right, i hear with the gripper you have to change the driveshafts etc and they are higher maintenance than the quaiffe diff , whats your take on this buddy?, ill contact the chap in the morning for prices me thinks...

The Gripper does need the n/s driveshaft shortening by 25mm, which isnt a big job to a decent engineer, my last one cost £50, as the outer cv joint went.
    If I were you,I would speak to Gripper as they have modified a few components over the last couple years to improve reliability.
    I chose the Gripper as more people use them on track with the 5GTT then the Quaife ATB,

I know a few people running the ATB and are pleased with them, but there not turbo cars.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

whats the rough price on one of either of these diffs? dont supose anyone got a second hand one nocking about??

Post Thanks / Like

about a grand plus fitting. you can get them on ebay for around 900.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, it depends on what you need a diff for and how much power you are aiming to transmit through it.... With Mr Clarks and Mr Davies cars we need the diffs!!
    I used to work for Quaife, I'd be interested to do a test one day... A Quaife kitted car, a Gripper kitted car, a Phantom grip kitted car and a standard well set up open diff car.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in the market for a Limited slip diff in the next couple of months.. but at £900 isn't there a Renault box that comes with one as standard that you can make fit?

I'm just after ultimate traction off the line and out the corners.. I did think about locking the diff as with it being at the rear it might not have such a negative impact on the steering?.. I'm just not sure..

Post Thanks / Like

If you are rear engined, it won't affect the steering, also I'd be getting the welding gear out....lots cheaper than a trick diff.
    I'm sure the R26r is the only Renault with a locking diff as standard in a NDO gearbox.
    Poss. the Spider as well?
    Last edited by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports; 04-05-2010 at 09:42.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt5 View Post
    If you are rear engined, it won't affect the steering, also I'd be getting the welding gear out....lots cheaper than a trick diff.
    I'm sure the R26r is the only Renault with a locking diff as standard in a NDO gearbox.
    Poss. the Spider as well?

Thanks matt

So thats a for welding the diff that seems like a nice option for me.. I read about it in a magazine ages ago and they said it can work well.. but couldn't find anyone on the net with anything positive to say about it although they were all front wheel drivers.. although I have just been on the mx5 forum for a sniff round and all they say is that it's good for drifting and really I need it to handle aswell.. maybe I need to be looking at the second hand market
    Last edited by c7borg; 04-05-2010 at 10:32.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    Thanks matt

So thats a for welding the diff that seems like a nice option for me.. I read about it in a magazine ages ago and they said it can work well.. but couldn't find anyone on the net with anything positive to say about it although they were all front wheel drivers.. although I have just been on the mx5 forum for a sniff round and all they say is that it's good for drifting and really I need it to handle aswell.. maybe I need to be looking at the second hand market
    the biggest problem with the welded diff is likely to be corner exit understeer, it'll keep you nice and straight under braking

If you want to try a box with a welded diff I have a GTT and a 172 you can try.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    the biggest problem with the welded diff is likely to be corner exit understeer, it'll keep you nice and straight under braking

If you want to try a box with a welded diff I have a GTT and a 172 you can try.
    Thanks that's really generous..Would you mind me trying the r5 one on a sprint event?

I'm just about to move house (fingers crossed) so have a bit of time on my hands and my next event isn't until late july..
    Do you have any events north of Oxford or are you going to Santapod ?.. I will happily pop down to Oxford if not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure but I think in the latest version of the gripper you don't need to shorten the driveshaft as they've modified the casing again, could be wrong though!

Quote Originally Posted by CLARKY View Post
    The Gripper does need the n/s driveshaft shortening by 25mm, which isnt a big job to a decent engineer, my last one cost £50, as the outer cv joint went.
    If I were you,I would speak to Gripper as they have modified a few components over the last couple years to improve reliability.
    I chose the Gripper as more people use them on track with the 5GTT then the Quaife ATB,

I know a few people running the ATB and are pleased with them, but there not turbo cars.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that's really generous..Would you mind me trying the r5 one on a sprint event?

I'm just about to move house (fingers crossed) so have a bit of time on my hands and my next event isn't until late july..
    Do you have any events north of Oxford or are you going to Santapod ?.. I will happily pop down to Oxford if not.
    No problem, I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near you, so maybe it's best to collect. Just PM me when you're interested. I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks, so we might need to work around that.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

no problem.. many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, it depends on what you need a diff for and how much power you are aiming to transmit through it.... With Mr Clarks and Mr Davies cars we need the diffs!!
    I used to work for Quaife, I'd be interested to do a test one day... A Quaife kitted car, a Gripper kitted car, a Phantom grip kitted car and a standard well set up open diff car.
    Matt , i was thinking for the cup on a bar of boost , just track days, maybe a little more boost.., does this means you can fit the diif if i obtain one.....

Post Thanks / Like

Which cup car we talking about??
    I reckon so, just need to have a word with a couple of mates to see about special tools etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Which cup car we talking about??
    I reckon so, just need to have a word with a couple of mates to see about special tools etc.
    , the rowan buddy, sounds like a plan, if ya can get your hands on said tools , would you be up for the job?...., answers on a pm if needed.., dead keen on one now , wanted one years ago but wasnt track etc dedicated enough like

Post Thanks / Like

Matty round the corner from Gripper diffs and also know a man who fits at nice mates rates prices :P (his job so knows what he is doing)

Give me a shout if needed - I used Dave Mac Propshafts for my custom shafts and they do the gripper stuff now. Prob cheaper for a R5 box but the vag box to strip / rebuild inc changing the f/d and fit ATB diff was £200 to give yo an idea. Speak to jon if your going to call them

Hope you well anyway

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Grier View Post
    Matty round the corner from Gripper diffs and also know a man who fits at nice mates rates prices :P (his job so knows what he is doing)

Give me a shout if needed - I used Dave Mac Propshafts for my custom shafts and they do the gripper stuff now. Prob cheaper for a R5 box but the vag box to strip / rebuild inc changing the f/d and fit ATB diff was £200 to give yo an idea. Speak to jon if your going to call them

Hope you well anyway

DG
    Cheers duncs , any chance of you pm`ing your mates no or putting him in contact with me?, see if he can get a better price purchased and what he may charge for fitting etc....pretty please, cheers buddy , long time no speak...

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt,

I have a friend who works for a gearbox repair firm. He stripped, cleaned and rebuilt my Quaife box (that i still havent had time to fit) after the driveshaft dropped it's needles for less than a ton and that included new seals... I'll be back in a month so if i can help let me know. Also call Carl here:

http://www.sorensenroadsport.co.uk/

He can get you a good discount from Quaife , make sure you tell him i sent you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Matt,

I have a friend who works for a gearbox repair firm. He stripped, cleaned and rebuilt my Quaife box (that i still havent had time to fit) after the driveshaft dropped it's needles for less than a ton and that included new seals... I'll be back in a month so if i can help let me know. Also call Carl here:

http://www.sorensenroadsport.co.uk/

He can get you a good discount from Quaife , make sure you tell him i sent you.
    cheera Al , hellpfull as usual buddy ,, im gonna give all the peeps on here a call and see what prices i get etc, ill speak to you soon bud..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know someone local who said he could fix my second gear syncromesh for £120..that must include taking apart and putting back togeather.. but he's based in the midlands (nottingham) so it's a bit far for you to drop off..

Post Thanks / Like

I know someone local who said he could fix my second gear syncromesh for £120..that must include taking apart and putting back togeather.. but he's based in the midlands (nottingham) so it's a bit far for you to drop off..
    cheers andrew , its a bit of a distance like but worth considering , i think ill contact all avenues and hear their prices etc and then decide like, some good contacts and help there boys, cheers....watch this space.