Post Thanks / Like

8mm Door Pins (needed!)

K' folks.. I know this problem dates back to the dawn of time but now its time to finally put it to bed!!

Prob is on my white 5 drivers door, there is a small amount of play on the lower hinge which is doing my head in. Door shuts fine and I know its only a small amount of wobble but it's only gonna get worse so last week I replaced both door pins with brand new one's. I knew it was probably the hinge that was worn but I thought I'd give changing the pins a try anyway.... you guessed it new pins but still wobbles .

Soooo.. knocked out the brand new split pin (concentrating on the bottom pin as that's where the play is) and tried various shims on the middle part of the hinge (the shell hinge) but it wasn't precise enough. Also tried wedging in a brass shim from that's used on the torx type pins but it was too big to fit the hinge hole and too small to take a split pin. As daylight was coming to an end I just replaced a pin to take me back to square one....gonna tackle the problem again over next couple of weeks .

Here's the plan to fix once and for all...!!

Decided I'm gonna drill both door hinge holes and body hinge hole to a uniform 7.5mm/8mm width using a right-angle drill. Then gonna fit an 8mm pin. I figured the problem will raise itself in another 15/20yrs but there's still enough meat in the metal for another widening.

Question: Does anyone have or know how to get an 8mm split pin? Failing that gonna use a simple 8mm bolt and tighten a nut on the end!!

Thanks for your help guys....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 8mm Door Pins (needed!)

Ill bet your local motorfactors or fasteners will do them.

If your stuck ebay, cant remember how long they need to be but i guess 40mm must be somewhere near.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8mm-x-40mm-Sta...item1e4e102ddb

Post Thanks / Like

read this

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=14092

I have just done this, me personally drill to 8ml put some shims in and a 6ml bolt or torx bits, if you put in 8ml pins they wont last you 10 years.

Renault 5 always have this problem, when i had my 1st as a young lad it was only 3 years old and the drivers door dropped then, i recently bought a campus that has only done 40k miles and the drivers door drops on that to.

If you put in 8ml pins, you will be drilling out to 9ml at some point. If you shim it, then when they drop again, worst case you bang out the shims and re due with another set and new 6ml bolts.

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction dude.. those one's on the bay look perfect!!

Watch this space.. I'll let you know if it works

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    read this

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=14092

I have just done this, me personally drill to 8ml put some shims in and a 6ml bolt or torx bits, if you put in 8ml pins they wont last you 10 years.

Renault 5 always have this problem, when i had my 1st as a young lad it was only 3 years old and the drivers door dropped then, i recently bought a campus that has only done 40k miles and the drivers door drops on that to.

If you put in 8ml pins, you will be drilling out to 9ml at some point. If you shim it, then when they drop again, worst case you bang out the shims and re due with another set and new 6ml bolts.

phil
    Thanks Phil.. you're right I decided against drilling the hinges out to take fatter pins.

In the end I took a small thin piece of brass (approx 35mm x 20mm and 0.75mm thick) and made is in to a cylindrical shape then carefully insterted it into the hinge on the actual shell as that is the bit that's worn; so effectively made a shim. I then took an OE pin and slightly tapered the end with a Dremel so when whacking it in it didn't catch the homemade shim.

So now after a good ol' bash of the hammer the pin is in place and there is next to no play in door movement. It was definitely important to slightly taper the pin otherwise I'm sure it would have destoyed my homemade shim when bashing it in to the hinges.

So there you have it folks shim shimmany shim away for droppy door problems