Post Thanks / Like

liner seals

anyone got any hints tips tricks or advise on changing the liner seals on my phase 2 gt turbo anything would be helpfull as iv never done anything to to bottom end before also will it affect the timing
    cheers

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: liner seals

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis 1006 View Post
    anyone got any hints tips tricks or advise on changing the liner seals on my phase 2 gt turbo anything would be helpfull as iv never done anything to to bottom end before also will it affect the timing
    cheers
    Why are you changing the liner seals? are you doing any other work on the engine??

You will need a h/g + bolts and some sump sealant, and the sump end seals 2 x 1/2 moon shaped.

Liner seals require the head to come off and the sump removed to enable you to undo the big end caps (keep the caps in the correct order and matched to the correct piston rods) prob best to number up the pistons 1 2 3 & 4 (Flywheel end is number 1 on the GTT) and also note on the caps to the corresponding piston/ con rod. To get the liners out, It is best to take the liners out with the pistons still in the liner (unless you need to hone or replace piston / piston rings), i always use a bit of sealant aswell as the liner seal aswell.

This does not mess with timeing unless

Post Thanks / Like

im doing the liner seals because im getting water in the oil i first thought it myt be the head gasket but i changed the hg and used new bolts but when i started it up i had the same problem i thought it myt be because i used an old head gasket that i had laying around from a previous 5 i had ill add it had'nt been used before but it was old and damp but iv been looking at older posts and people are saying that it could be the liner seals and when i removed the head one of the liners poped up but i just pushed it back down and got on with rebuilding it, iv got a new hg and new bolts iv just had the head skimmed but i dont know weather to just put it all back together and see wot happens or change the seals just to be safe

Post Thanks / Like

This does not mess with timeing unless[/quote]

?

Post Thanks / Like

This does not mess with timeing unless
    ?[/quote]

should have said unless you knock the dizzy gear out when or if you remove the dizzy shaft, but if all done carefully all will be fine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    ?

should have said unless you knock the dizzy gear out when or if you remove the dizzy shaft, but if all done carefully all will be fine[/quote]

When you say old H/G do you mean new but been lying around for a while or do you mean old as in used??

If you have oil in water, check the liner, I would also check the rad hasn't split and oil leaking into the coolant side of it.

Post Thanks / Like

oh i see cheers for the advise im gunna get cracking with it now gunna b a late one in the garage me thinks

Post Thanks / Like

i mean that it was laying around for about a year or so but was never fitted to a car and im running an alloy rad with a seperate oil cooler and its water in the oil and like mayo under the rocker cover and also it has the white smoke/steam and it dont run smooth it stutters if you get wot i mean but when i was adjusting the valve clearances after the first rebuild, turning the crank pully it seemed to have good compresion

Post Thanks / Like

When you took the head off did you check the head for flatness and poss have it pressure tested to see if it wasn't the head.

Post Thanks / Like

yh i took it to an engine works company cus i had it skimmed and thay said it was abit warped but apart from that all was fine

Post Thanks / Like

yh i took it to an engine works company cus i had it skimmed and thay said it was abit warped but apart from that all was fine
    Did you get it skimmed then if it was warped?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Did you get it skimmed then if it was warped?
    Read it again mark

Post Thanks / Like

yh i had it skimmed

Post Thanks / Like

yh i had it skimmed
    Sorry just noticed it in there in a previous post, ok cool least the head is fine then.

Post Thanks / Like

no worries buddy im gunna change the liner seals anyway while the head is off just for peace of mind that way i know there done then cheers for the help and advise, looks like im gunna be up late tonite

Post Thanks / Like

As the heads off already its not a bad job to do, once you got the sump off to undo the con-rods pull the piston and liner out as one then change seal and then replace it back in.
    Do one at a time so you don't get the bearings all mixed up for the crank.
    Last edited by Markey Mark (BD); 30-03-2010 at 17:32.

Post Thanks / Like

just wondering wot sort of sealant to use iv got the bottom end gasket set now but im unsure what sealant to use can i just use the gasket in a tube on the seals aswell as the rubber ones and also can i use it on the sump

Post Thanks / Like

just wondering wot sort of sealant to use iv got the bottom end gasket set now but im unsure what sealant to use can i just use the gasket in a tube on the seals aswell as the rubber ones and also can i use it on the sump
    I just use loctite sump sealant about £7-£8 from halfrauds and I have used it on liners also just make sure you give it enough time to dry before you put coolant in so it cures / drys properly.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use loctite sump sealant about £7-£8 from halfrauds and I have used it on liners also just make sure you give it enough time to dry before you put coolant in so it cures / drys properly.

I dont know if anyone else does this, but i apply it to the sump, leave it for 15 mins to go tacky and harden a bit, then attach it to the block, never had any leaks this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post

I dont know if anyone else does this, but i apply it to the sump, leave it for 15 mins to go tacky and harden a bit, then attach it to the block, never had any leaks this way.
    Never done it like that normally whack it straight on and leave for a while before I put oil in.
    And forgot to ad earlier yeah you can use sealant on the rubber seals if you want it won't cause any harm but the rubber seals should be enough anyway.

I should have said I use the sealant in conjuction with the liner seals together.

Post Thanks / Like

Never done it like that normally whack it straight on and leave for a while before I put oil in.
    And forgot to ad earlier yeah you can use sealant on the rubber seals if you want it won't cause any harm but the rubber seals should be enough anyway.

I should have said I use the sealant in conjuction with the liner seals together.
    Deffo put a bit of silicone sealant around the liner seals like james said. Dont use gasket sealer on them as you'll never get them out again.

I think that wacking the sump straight onto the block ends with a uneven level of sealer around the block, resulting in possible leakages, but thats just my opinion. As james says though, if you seal it right you wont need to put gasket sealer on the end rubber seals.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers for all the help guys she's going now also after closer inspection i found number three clyinder to be cracked but she's all back together now and running so thanks people