Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my turbo collection

whilst been messing lately with my car decided to go through all my spares, i have a collection of four turbos so wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best turbo to use.

turbo 1- looks completely standard , cleanest turbo i have ever seen, no numbers anywhere

turbo2- numbers stamped on housing where bolts onto manifold- m-4, pt - 2, ar 35

rear is totally different turbine to standard

turbo 3 - numbers stamped on housing where bolts to manifold- m-25,pt-3, ar 35

rear same as turbo 2 but where turbine sits in housing it is machined bigger half way down by about 3mm then its tightish around turbin

turbo 4-(one thats on car) latest purchase, numbers on housing near bolt holes, m-4,pt- 1, ar 35

im using turbo 4 as it came up on ebay and has been fully rebuilt with a 360 bearing and i wasnt sure if my other turbos had the bearing,

so in conclusion does this mean the 3 turbos are t2/t25's also why are some m-4 and some m-25? and what does the pt mean as there all different pt-1,pt-2,pt-3? and what bhp is a ar 35 capable of with 360 bearing, with piper 285 cam and lightend and balanced flywheel, double intercooler, jetted carb and -31 actuator appreciate any help thanks
    Last edited by jonnyshaw49; 30-12-2009 at 11:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: my turbo collection

If you've got any photos I'll ask Adam to take a look later

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks aot i wont be able to get pics untill tonight when my girlfriend comes with her camera mine broken :

Post Thanks / Like

So far you've distinguished that all of them are standard T2 turbine sides, as the standard turbo uses the .35 a/r housing. You'd struggle to get more than 170bhp out of them on a standard engine.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

how come the front propellor is noticeably bigger? so are they not t2/t25 , could the numbers on the housing be from the standard turbo before its had bigger wheel fitted??

Post Thanks / Like

You'd need to measure the wheels really to tell 100% as they sometimes get bored out a bit IIRC. Nothing stamped on the front comp housing at all?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ill have a look mate ill take some pics today and upload them later. how much are they worth there all in good cond, as really im after a good t2/t25 or maybe t25

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

these are the pics of the turbos

turbo 1

turbo2

turbo3

turbo 3 rear notice how housing is machined wider around wheel

turbo 1 and 2 fronts

turbo 2 and 3 fronts

turbo 1 and 2 rears

hope you can tell of these pics as were taken on a phone and garage was fair dark

Post Thanks / Like

Adam L will be able to tell you better but to me they all look like standard T2's, only difference is turbo 2 and 3 have had larger wheels fitted tot the front and the compressor housings machined out to fit them.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so are they classed as t2's not t2/ t25? so has a t2/t25 a machined and bigger rear aswell??? how much would i get for the 3 turbos if i sell none have any play. i want to get a t2/t25 or even a t25

Post Thanks / Like

I actually typed out a reply about 45 minutes ago but the site went funny just as I posted it and I lost it all, resulting it not being bothered to type it all out again.

Anywho, Mark's right, they're all T2's. The so called larger one looks like it might be running a 200sx 1.8 compressor wheel, which in all honesty isn't much of an upgrade. As far as I can remember the exducer is the same size as the stock 5 but it's got a slightly larger inducer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd still class it as a T2 with larger wheel mate.

Post Thanks / Like

They're not worth alot of money, unfortunatley, £50 each at a push, i'd have thought.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so what bhp would be possible with the 360 degree bearing one thats on the car? i thought spare turbos would be worth at least 100 if theres no play will have to flee bay them then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyshaw49 View Post
    so what bhp would be possible with the 360 degree bearing one thats on the car? i thought spare turbos would be worth at least 100 if theres no play will have to flee bay them then
    On a T2 no more than a turbo with a standard bearing i'd say.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so around 170??? with 285 piper , what is max boost it will run

Post Thanks / Like

so around 170??? with 285 piper , what is max boost it will run
    If your going to use a Piper 285 cam i'd be changing the turbo better suited to the cam.
    I'll be going for a T25 or bigger of some description

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a different cam in at the minute but not sure if its the piper 285 as i didnt know much about the gt when i rebuilt the engine, but i noticed the springs on the head were a different colour to another head i had, one head had red springs and the other black, so not sure if the springs are uprated. the car did seem to rev ok to 7k on road, i would have to strip it all down to check

Post Thanks / Like

i have a different cam in at the minute but not sure if its the piper 285 as i didnt know much about the gt when i rebuilt the engine, but i noticed the springs on the head were a different colour to another head i had, one head had red springs and the other black, so not sure if the springs are uprated. the car did seem to rev ok to 7k on road, i would have to strip it all down to check
    What colour were your springs?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure the springs i have in this engine are black i could check tomorrow think the red springs were in the other head but i did send them both for chemical cleaning at same time hope ive got right springs in with right cam come to think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have the stronger springs if they didn't have the original red paint on them, also the stronger ones have les coils on them so another way of telling.

Unfortunately only way of telling what cam you have is by pulling it out of by measuring the lift and duration with it in the car and comparing it with spec's of the cam in the articles here

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeh was thinking that, will have to wait untill something goes pop and whip it out, im building a new engine this year now i have worked up my scout badges lol and learnt more, so will be using a new cam anyway. thinking of doing the c3j rebuild like it shows on other forum. do you think that t25 for sale in classifieds is a good buy for £325 fully rebuilt??

Post Thanks / Like

yeh was thinking that, will have to wait untill something goes pop and whip it out, im building a new engine this year now i have worked up my scout badges lol and learnt more, so will be using a new cam anyway. thinking of doing the c3j rebuild like it shows on other forum. do you think that t25 for sale in classifieds is a good buy for £325 fully rebuilt??
    Why do the C3J block conversion?

Best to see what cam you got first mate before you go buying turbo's, worth knowing so you can suit the turbo to cam

Just had a look at that turbo, maybe wrong but it sort of looks like a standard backend on that one too, still oo small if your running a 285

If you are using a 285 you ideally want a T25 core turbo to start with, then match wheels and housing to what you want from the car

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so would standard or mild cam be no good for a t25? i dont want to whip my cam out l just got it all built back up lol. could i not run a t25 untill i get a new cam ? or would it be really laggy. that turbo has an ar 48 is that not a bigger rear? im not too clued up on turbos i would really want a vnt but heard u cant get them and there well dear

Post Thanks / Like

so would standard or mild cam be no good for a t25? i dont want to whip my cam out l just got it all built back up lol. could i not run a t25 untill i get a new cam ? or would it be really laggy. that turbo has an ar 48 is that not a bigger rear? im not too clued up on turbos i would really want a vnt but heard u cant get them and there well dear
    Yeah that T25 turbo wil be fine if you was running a standard cam but as you said your not sure what cam you got in there already. Thats turbo would not be laggy at all, turbine housing looks fairly small compared to front.

The .48 is refering to the front housing which has been changed, its the only one mention which makes me believe the backend is standard. I could be wrong just going on what i can see.

I've had a VNT (think still fastest 5 with one), yes pricey, work well but pain in arse to set the vains and the carb. I prefer conventional turbo.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info, so what is rear called if front is a/r??? shall i ask him what rear is then i can determine if its a t25, sorry to sound thick just dont want to be buying more rubbish as i paid £205 inc delivery for that turbo thats on my car which has had rebuild and 360 bearing, and if like adam l says not worth nowhere near that

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info, so what is rear called if front is a/r??? shall i ask him what rear is then i can determine if its a t25, sorry to sound thick just dont want to be buying more rubbish as i paid £205 inc delivery for that turbo thats on my car which has had rebuild and 360 bearing, and if like adam l says not worth nowhere near that
    A/R is the Air Ratio of a housing, both compressor and turbine have A/R numbers

See what it is and if he has a pic of the back wheel and housing too.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

kk will do, if it is a full t25 will it still b e ok on my cam if its a mild cam?

Post Thanks / Like

kk will do, if it is a full t25 will it still b e ok on my cam if its a mild cam?
    Yeah it should be ok mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

buzzin!!!!!!!!!! and this grin will be bigger on the road on boost lol, another thing ive noticed on my turbos is the rear turbine has different fins to standard, why would they put a different turbine in if its a t2??? if i do decide to keep the 360 one for now what is max boost i could run and what you reckon bhp would be

Post Thanks / Like

buzzin!!!!!!!!!! and this grin will be bigger on the road on boost lol, another thing ive noticed on my turbos is the rear turbine has different fins to standard, why would they put a different turbine in if its a t2???
    Different year they were made if from factory, different wheels fitted if it was ever refurbished in the past,different manufactor, could be anything like that.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

oh ok i see , thanks, been looking for turbos not many people have prices for sale , a full t25 is around 500 new isnt it?

Post Thanks / Like

oh ok i see , thanks, been looking for turbos not many people have prices for sale , a full t25 is around 500 new isnt it?
    Have a word with Adam L mate, you'll be surprised what he can do for you mate on turbo price's