Post Thanks / Like

Advice on sale of goods act

Can someone help me out i have ordered some French style plate from craigplates, i basically ordered some pressed French number plates, i put the reg in and stated French pressed plates with a French logo.

It displayed all my order on the screen as i did it, problem is that when the plates have arrived there is no gap between the numbers and letters.

The reg is J895 ANT
    they have come looking like J895ANT

At no point does it say that spacing must be put in by me when placing the order, it does tell you that what is shown on the screen is not a direct indication of what the plate will look like.

Never thought there would be a problem, until they arrived.

I would not care but i read and checked everything 3 times.

I rang up and complained, was told nothing they can do, i thought they might see my point, I'm just following what to do on there site.

The guy i spoke to even said it was not the first time this had happened.

What are my rights, i have read that i can return an item under the sale of goods, under the distance selling regulation, as technically i can not see what im buying and that i have 7 day to return.

Rang them back to explain this and still no luck.
    Last edited by philg; 25-11-2009 at 16:10.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on sale of goods act

Surely a bit of common sense should apply here!!

Ask them if they know of any UK reg number that doesn't have a space & don't let them fob you off with the old Custom Numberplate schpeil!

Post Thanks / Like

does it state that the plates are not road legal ? if not then simply say you cannot fit the plates to your car as its illegal, job done.

Post Thanks / Like

exactly, i can not believe this myself, i would have put it in had it said to or even mention spacing, and when it said this is not a exact replication of your plate i did not worry.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    does it state that the plates are not road legal ? if not then simply say you cannot fit the plates to your car as its illegal, job done.
    is says that they are show plates when you make them up, they even sent from Ireland to, must be some way of getting round the law.

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    ......they even sent from Ireland to, must be some way of getting round the law.
    It is. In Ireland you don't have to show your V5 to buy a number plate, like you do over here.

Post Thanks / Like

pay via paypal?
    Maybe you could open a dispute claim.?

Post Thanks / Like

debit card

Post Thanks / Like

just checked there web site

"colours may vary and spacing is not shown accurately"

i therefore thought they would come in normal layout.

Phil

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, regardless of what they say in their T+C's you CAN return them for a refund or exchange withing 7 days of you receiving them, under the distance selling regulations (DSR, 2000). If they refuse to do so then they are breaking the law, you can then talk to trading standards who will inturn contact them and remind them of their responsibilities as an internet trader.

Return them via post with a polite cover note alerting them to the fact you are returning them under the DSR 2000 act, and that you really think their website should be a little clearer. Ask them for an exchange rarther than a refund, they won't be quite as upset.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong as I can not picture it in my head but does a french number plate have spacings, I don't think they do, therefore when you order French style it would not have the spacing? So therefore you have got what you ordered? They may class it as special order which are except from return unless faulty which you agreed to when paying, worth checking, but like I said I may be wrong

just checked xenons photo he put up from a French meet, there seems to be two styles, 6 characters seperated by a space or dash (xx xx xx or xx-xx-xx) and random numbers of characters with no spacing (xxxxxxx)
    Last edited by TNT Tricky Nicky; 25-11-2009 at 21:11. Reason: Curiosity beat laziness

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies guys, posting them back today recorded delivery.

i will keep you posted

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tricky nicky View Post
    I may be wrong as I can not picture it in my head but does a french number plate have spacings, I don't think they do, therefore when you order French style it would not have the spacing? So therefore you have got what you ordered? They may class it as special order which are except from return unless faulty which you agreed to when paying, worth checking, but like I said I may be wrong

just checked xenons photo he put up from a French meet, there seems to be two styles, 6 characters seperated by a space or dash (xx xx xx or xx-xx-xx) and random numbers of characters with no spacing (xxxxxxx)

If this is the case and there are 3 possible layouts for french plating, no option or mention was given.

I also tried to order uk plate and its the same.

My friend i spoke to last night, said he had ordered plates online and was promoted to put in all the spacing that you require and if you wanted one word like a name etc, not to put spacing in.

Post Thanks / Like

Any news on this buddy? Did they sort you out or are you still waiting for a responce?