Post Thanks / Like

Ali Fabs

Anyone **** hot at ali welding/fabrication ?
    I need a chargecooler for the GTA and want this knocked up using the std unit .
    Name:  Charge Cooler .XDW.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  52.7 KBName:  image1-2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  43.1 KBName:  image0-3.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  56.0 KBName:  image2-2.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  84.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ali Fabs

eey opp jowz getting distracted sir?

puts a lot of weight at the back of the car if it stays in the original position.

But leaving that aside, the std GTA intercooler isn't very good for high flow rates without massive pressure drop, want something with a bigger core and without 2x 90 deg bends - this was completely re-worked for the A610 as I mentioned. Tony Law used an ex-std Cossie IC (has nice entry and exit air divergence and convergence too) and this actually went in ok, and straight through with a good cross section for good flow and minimum drop. Given the effort needed to weld up, I think it would be worth finding a better cheap candidate.

Thinking cheapo, you could probably bodge the Fiat Coupe unit (to try first, I know it's plastic canned) you have with some ally plates, weld in water hose union to one plate and actually just mastic (if you get the corking gun version of the silver Evo-stick metal stuff it's amazing) it all together (arrange the joints as lap-joints) to the IC, it's only got to be water tight and not fall off. Simply just try it, that mastic stuff can be bought down Halfords and think BQ at roughly a fiver a tube, but it's very powerfully on metal / plastic, just rough up the surfaces and get loads in there no welding required, and Blue Peter results lol

If you've got the water union pipes to weld in then I can weld them in for you, and just mastic the rest... Give it a try and see what results you get. The GTA inter-cooler isn't worth putting that much effort into, certainly not welding it up, try find something more suitable and then do the weld job... just a thought

Post Thanks / Like

I've just got some chips out the oven ...care to come and piss on them ?

Post Thanks / Like

nah, will be cold now

it's a great idea, just the GTA IC isn't a very good starting point unfortunately, and if the factory went to the bother of redesigning it completely for the 610 for a 300hp motor, then they must have been suitably motivated to bother, not trying to piss on your fire mate ... don't shoot the messenger, just finding a component that's going to get you the results for effort in... ok I'll stop before I get hate mail and bricks thru me window!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    I've just got some chips out the oven ...care to come and piss on them ?
    i think theres good value and point to his post i think you should thank

no point pissing into the wind clee you know it makes sence give the engine what it deserves

Post Thanks / Like

The reason for doing it to the std intercooler was that it will still fit in it's original location and I was thinking more as something RATS can offer to the std GTA lads .I need to find out how much that would cost to do .
    It will bring down charge temps ,not as much as I'm after but then we'll be running 1.6bar not 0.65 . Just looking at something to bundle in with the Renix ECU upgrades

Post Thanks / Like

Eek yeah, didn't think of that, sorry, mind jumped ahead

I have one that I cut the exit tubes off to use as couplers, welcome to have a play on that than mash an otherwise good unit.

Any local sheetmetal shops? Could then get a price to fold the end caps to your drawing etc, sure they would give you a price for welding as well - Big Jim?