Post Thanks / Like

Any landrover drivers

Of the older defender 90's or series 2 or 3 ?

Looking at getting one, its capable of towing, a great work horse... good off road and rugged

Who know what to look for in one? obv the extensive rust they suffer from off road abuse etc...

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any landrover drivers

You have to make sure the gearbox work, in high and low rev's, listen out for any major whinning, knocking noise's,... also reverse abit...

Make sure the lock-able diff work's etc... and all warning lights come on & off as they should....

There not the cleanest of cars,dont worry about the odd dent, scratch etc... thats how they should be used.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure there are no cracks in diff casings underneith etc as it may have taken a poundind

Post Thanks / Like

I would avoid any jack up kitted models too as this, to me, shouts out I have been abused! Plus, these kits are easy to fit to a standard model anyway if you want to do it yourself. Most Land Rover's rot in the usual places, outriggers, door hinges, floor pans, general chassis, so just look in the places for bad corrosion. Don't worry too much about the engines as there are so many engines that fit the Land Rover, included the Daihatsu 2.5 diesel's, a very popular alternative to Land Rover's own brand. Do look out for faulty rear axles, hubs, gearbox's etc... as these can be expensive and a pain to change.

Post Thanks / Like

the 300 tdi engines are by far the best which are m reg onwards. I have a defender td5 and they aren't as good and drink far more juice

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

boy next to us at work who does our mechanics has a couple series 2's, just taken delivery of a 90 today and he as a 110 as well.

brilliant motors to drive with, if you get the series 2 make sure that its got the overdrive still on it or its not worth crap for towing really.

if you can get a diesel, do so. 300engines are very nice to drive with, and if you cant get one then fit the 200, just as good imo.

replacement parts arent too expensive really for them could be a lot more... and theres a ton of aftermarket parts out there for them as well.

if you want any more help let me know and i'll ask him for you.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Yes mate, had Landys all my life, they are my passion, the Land Rovers have the highest towing capacity of any car on the road, IIRC its something stoopid like 3500kg, you just cant beat it!!
    If your going for a LR90 or a later Defender 90, look for the common and desirable 200tdi conversion, or getting more common 300tdi. As for rust, yeah as unicronicus mentioned, chassis is a biggy, usually jammed full of mud so its hidden quite well, outriggers, but biggest of all, front bulkhead. Youll struggle to find a 90 or 110 with rusted floor pans, as they're all aluminium bodies!!
    Disco's arent though, the D1 rusts bad in the boot floor and sills and inner arches. D2 chassis and windscreen top. D3 if you can afford one havent really started to rust yet!!

Someone said dont buy one with a jack up kit, why not, Land Rovers are built to be modded, they can handle it. The parts are dirt cheap, dead easy to fit and it will outlive you if well looked after!!
    Here are a couple of my Landy's!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdog36 View Post

Someone said dont buy one with a jack up kit, why not, Land Rovers are built to be modded, they can handle it. The parts are dirt cheap, dead easy to fit and it will outlive you if well looked after!!
    I said that because since they are easy to fit, why not fit one yourself. I would be more enticed to buy a genuine unmolested Land Rover instead of one with a jack-up kit, especially if it's a shoddy job or cheap kit. Same with GTT's, I would much rather buy a standard or professionally tweaked, subtle model than some janky boy racer kitted up mobile.