Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuck in gear

Right. I know my engine mounts are in need of renewing (which I was going to do tomorrow actually). It jumps out of gear in 2nd and 4th. I gave it some lemon earlier and it the gear stick got jammed in 2nd, eventually i was able to whack it out. Then it drove okay in every gear as before. Parked in Tesco's, get back in to car, start it and it was stuck in gear and I couldnt move the gear stick anywhere other than the reverse position (which made the car drive foward?). Anyway, it was stuck in 3rd I think.

Could this be an engine mount issue, as I know the nearside front mount can cause selection probs.....or do you reckon I have a mullered box?

I am extremely experienced with these cars, but before I get up and fiddle with it tomorrow I want to know other peoples opinions.

Also, what way would you try and get it out of gear?

I really can't be arsd to take the box out/split box or anything.

Merci!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stuck in gear

Disconnect the gear selector from the gearbox and see if you can get all gears.

Post Thanks / Like

read this and do what was said earlier about disconnecting the selector rod first

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...=gear+selector

Post Thanks / Like

mine used to do the same mate if it was in gear then you backed off the gas and then back on the gas it would jump out of gear. It eventually got jamed in 5th when i released it i could then only select 2nd and i think reverse. I found the fault with box and it was the nut that holds 5th gear on it hand come loose and allowed 5th gear to move backwards and forwards, and as i selected gear the fork had got wedged between the gears and ****ed them what i would say is just take the black end cover plate off that is where the nut is for 5th gear and check if its loose before stripping all the box down as this could be the problem

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    mine used to do the same mate if it was in gear then you backed off the gas and then back on the gas it would jump out of gear. It eventually got jamed in 5th when i released it i could then only select 2nd and i think reverse. I found the fault with box and it was the nut that holds 5th gear on it hand come loose and allowed 5th gear to move backwards and forwards, and as i selected gear the fork had got wedged between the gears and ****ed them what i would say is just take the black end cover plate off that is where the nut is for 5th gear and check if its loose before stripping all the box down as this could be the problem

I've had this bofore, a long time ago. The symptoms are different this time round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trojan View Post
    Right. I know my engine mounts are in need of renewing (which I was going to do tomorrow actually). It jumps out of gear in 2nd and 4th. I gave it some lemon earlier and it the gear stick got jammed in 2nd, eventually i was able to whack it out. Then it drove okay in every gear as before. Parked in Tesco's, get back in to car, start it and it was stuck in gear and I couldnt move the gear stick anywhere other than the reverse position (which made the car drive foward?). Anyway, it was stuck in 3rd I think.

Could this be an engine mount issue, as I know the nearside front mount can cause selection probs.....or do you reckon I have a mullered box?

I am extremely experienced with these cars, but before I get up and fiddle with it tomorrow I want to know other peoples opinions.

Also, what way would you try and get it out of gear?

I really can't be arsd to take the box out/split box or anything.

Merci!
    hello there mate my box was doing the exactly the same thing mine was getting stuck in second when i thrashed it in that gear only and it was a right sod to get out one day i wacked in into reverse and it would not come out. i ended up changing the gear box. i held the old box up and gave it a shake in herd something inside it was dead.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine turned out to be knackered too. The gearbox oil was more like silver paint!!

Post Thanks / Like

have you had gearbox problems with this box b4 ? ie: selecting gears popping out of gear ? if you have had problems it may have given up the ghost and be dead sounds gearbox related have you ever checked gearbox oil level ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine turned out to be knackered too. The gearbox oil was more like silver paint!!

It is the gearbox.

Post Thanks / Like

so was mine the oil looked like silver and grey matalic paint.