Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW batch of New BRIGHT ORANGE OE Dial Replica's now in stock; INC's km/h dial :)

I've not heard to the contrary from Lockwood. But, we did order 150 sets and that was quite a big job for them with these particular dials, the manufacturing equates to maybe 1000 of their normal sets.

They delivered 100 already, but they were in kmh only for Euro orders and have been sent out.

They scheduled the remaining 50 for this week. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW batch of New BRIGHT ORANGE OE Dial Replica's now in stock; INC's km/h dial :)

Thanks for the update, will check back every so often.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hey Ian,
    So how far are we with the dials?
    I'm a belgian member and don't require a mph clock, it would be nice, but not needed :-)

grtz

Post Thanks / Like

I telephoned Lockwood last week.

They said they should be completed and posted to us by the end of this week.

I've listed them as in stock from next Monday 18th.

Post Thanks / Like

Dials back in stock

Post Thanks / Like

I have'nt read every page so forgive me if this has now been said! but i think the different fuel gauge is for the raider??

i've had numerous gtt's and only the 3 raider's had the 1/4,1/2/3/4 etc on the gauge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nayls View Post
    I have'nt read every page so forgive me if this has now been said! but i think the different fuel gauge is for the raider??

i've had numerous gtt's and only the 3 raider's had the 1/4,1/2/3/4 etc on the gauge.
    So now we've got limited edition fuel gauges as well

I think every late gtt I've seen, not just the Raiders, has got the 1/4, 1/2 etc fuel gauge. I've seen a third different fuel gauge as well, that's got the extra 'lines' like the later ones, but without the 1/4, 1/2 etc written on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    So now we've got limited edition fuel gauges as well

I think every late gtt I've seen, not just the Raiders, has got the 1/4, 1/2 etc fuel gauge. I've seen a third different fuel gauge as well, that's got the extra 'lines' like the later ones, but without the 1/4, 1/2 etc written on it

there special them raiders!

i've only ever had the numbers on the raiders,very strange

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone who isn't going to use their KPH speedo dial send it in my direction. I'll pay for it and postage (which can't be more than a std letter?). If you could PM me with a price I'd be more than happy to square it away.

Woz

Post Thanks / Like

Whats the score with these dial sets...are they still available??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adscan View Post
    Whats the score with these dial sets...are they still available??
    Yes, they are back in stock now. You can order them in the club shop here... https://www.rtoc.org/shop/index.php?m...8f8d1cd3a92cc7

Post Thanks / Like

Cool...thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchased a set of these new dials for my car, looking at the originals in Mark Fish's photo below the needles appear to be a stronger orange than those shown in members pictures a couple of pages back.

http://sites.samfish.co.uk/r5bits/interior/dash

So clearly the needles fade, just not so noticeably as the dials themselves. Anyone know if the needles are translucent to some degree?

I am tempted to use some orange paint to bring them back as per the example below but if they are translucent, some indicator bulb paint could do the trick.

http://mercedes-190.co.uk/topic/6629239/1/

Thoughts?

Edited to say that I know this sounds like a bodge, but done correctly the results could look fantastic.
    N.B. I am sure Raiders have different needles
    Last edited by Renault 5 GT Turbo; 04-05-2011 at 14:34.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renault 5 GT Turbo View Post
    Are the needles are translucent?
    No, they are completely transparent with an orange underside.

I just gave Lockwood a call to see if they had a solution for this type of problem and maybe could supply us the exact matching orange colour ink.

He said it usually looks patchy when the under side is brushed over and the ink tends to go on the sides of the needle making it look even worse.

He suggested a single pull of a chisel edged felt pen gave the most even looking result. Sometimes if a second pull is needed it can look patchy.

He also said he heard suggested the use of car body work paint touch up pens.

He said he'll ask his ink supplier if they have a suggestion.

I wondered about using a small firm felt pad, dipping it in the right colour ink and then carefully making one drag down the length of the needle. The trick is to not spill onto the sides and to get an even distribution.

Two pens I've used on the edges of CD's are the Edding 500 which works best and the Uni Posca which didn't adhere or cover all that well to the smooth shiny plastic.

The Edding leaves a patchy first go but does put down plenty of ink. A second go is needed why dry. It does go around the edges onto the faces a bit as the CD edge sinks in a bit to the felt marker tip. That's a desired effect on the CD but not on the needles.

On the front of a white faced CD the Posca really puts down a lot of ink and leaves an opaque layer.

I couldn't suggest how well they would go on the needles. Or how near the orange is to what is needed. Is the OE a bit day glow?

A quick Google found these:

http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/acatalog/...hisel_Tip.html

http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/acatalog/...hisel_Tip.html

http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/acatalog/...ullet_Tip.html

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Orange crayons work well.... nice and thick, and easy to scrape of the sides..... simples

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen on other car forums people painting them with brightly coloured nail polish, you can even get UV polish these days and seems to look pretty good if done well

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

i had some red engine paint lying around.. halfords special.. used a blade to clean off the old stuff and blobbed on the red engine paint using the edge of a screwdriver.. as its thick it didn't run, just sat ontop really thick..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dangerous dave...what a result there, well done.

Just to clarify, you removed the original paint behind each needle (so they were effectively clear) then applied your red paint from behind?

Interesting you chose red paint, it does look spot on though.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

dangerous dave...what a result there, well done.

Just to clarify, you removed the original paint behind each needle (so they were effectively clear) then applied your red paint from behind?

Interesting you chose red paint, it does look spot on though.
    the front the needle is orange and on the rear its white if i remember, so you need to scuff it off.. i remember now, i started with a blade and ended up using sand paper & a rough wet and dry.. then they were clear, key'd and ready for some paint..

there not a 100% match, more 80% but thats better than lovely dark orange dials and washed out orange needles.. i think you could get a better match, but if you have the paint kicking about and its all the effort your prepared to put in, do it..

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about whether the original paint needed to be removed first.

As people have said they just applied more, whatever, behind and it worked I wondered if the orange was a bit translucent.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the advice, I will probably take a view on it when I get them off the car.

First test will be shining a torch behind them to see if they are slightly transparent.

I will either top up the colour from behind with this if transparent:
    http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/prod...ulb-paint.html

or go for dangerous dave's method.

Post Thanks / Like

Before seing these threads i actually thought the rev count was meant to be lighter than the speedo lol?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Half way through the job but cannot see how to take the trip mileage reset stick off to allow me to swap out the dial.

Any advice much appreciated.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Half way through the job but cannot see how to take the trip mileage reset stick off to allow me to swap out the dial.

Any advice much appreciated.
    Just twist off the rubber "button" on the end of the reset stick & then you can remove the old dials & re-fit the new ones!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to report a successful fitment of dials and enhanced needles.

Much like dangerous dave, I used 1200 grit wet and dry to clear of the faded needle backing. Once clear and ready for paint, I got my girlfriend's advice on colour.

We ended up choosing 'Maybelline, Forever Strong Pro, Orange Couture 460' from Boots, £4.07.

http://www.clockworkpharmacy.com/pro...5&bestseller=Y

To me it is as close to OE as I could have hoped to have got.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, thats better than mine

i went out to have a look at my dials today and the reds gone darker than when i put it on.. better than faded but i think they can look better and for little effort.. i may have to risk a trip to boots and look like a panty sniffer as i find this colour

Post Thanks / Like

Nice

Did nail varnish go onto the sides of the needles or just stay tidily underneath?

Did you apply it with the built in brush?

Maybe we should get a couple of bottles for the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

How good does that look!!! Off to Boots it is then....

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to report a successful fitment of dials and enhanced needles.

Much like dangerous dave, I used 1200 grit wet and dry to clear of the faded needle backing. Once clear and ready for paint, I got my girlfriend's advice on colour.

We ended up choosing 'Maybelline, Forever Strong Pro, Orange Couture 460' from Boots, £4.07.

http://www.clockworkpharmacy.com/pro...5&bestseller=Y

To me it is as close to OE as I could have hoped to have got.
    That looks like a top job. Well done!

Have you got your KPH dial and if so, do you want to sell it to me?

Woz

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments guys.

When I had cleared the backs of the needles, at first I tried masking the sides of the needle with 3M masking tape. I painted one and let it dry. When I removed the masking tape, the paint had seeped down the sides doh!

I then cleaned off the paint and started again with a steady hand using the brush supplied. Any paint on the sides was removed with cotton wool and Cutex nail polish remover. This product did not 'dull' the transparent plastic needles as I suspect some paint removers might.

Nail polish remover:
    http://www.boots.com/en/Cutex-Aceton...mover_1037539/

I applied two coats of the nail varnish so that the view from the front of the needles was completely consistent in colour.

Woz, PM me your address and I will try to get a quote on postage.

Post Thanks / Like

No need, it's a standard colour in the stores. In fact, I probably have it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Good info

I should make the time to add it to the fitting guide.

Maybe also to the shop blurb and eBay add.

FSP

A guess theres no more dials left. Will there be any new orders?

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered another 50. There are a few already sold but will be some in stock in the club shop possibly end of next week.

https://www.rtoc.org/shop/index.php?m...roducts_id=102

Post Thanks / Like

Does nail varnish allow the back light through?

FSP

Will there also be the km/h dials in stock?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes .
    The kit contains both MPH and km/h

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woah!! How did I miss this thread! Those dials look spot on, just got my speedo in bits as its knackered.

Just placed my order in the shop!

Send them to me NOW!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Does nail varnish allow the back light through?
    The original orange applied to the needles was a solid colour that let no light through. The light reflects though the transparent top area. If you scrape the original faded orange colour off from the backs of the needles, apply the nail varnish, the effect is the same as when new.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First post!

Hi guys..

Would it be possible to have a dial made WITHOUT the Turbo Gauge i.e. for a GTE?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome the RTOC

One set of dials specially made = No.

I normally get at least 50 sets made at once so the manufacturer set up costs are shared over the whole batch.

To get one set on it's own made will cost maybe £200. Probably more.

If you mean can RTOC supply a set with one dial face missing for a small reduction in price, then that's no as well. They come to us in complete sets of dial faces, not supplied per dial face that we make up into a kit.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Hi and welcome the RTOC

One set of dials = No.

I normally get at least 50 sets made at once so the manufacturer set up costs are shared over the whole batch.

To get one set on it's own made will cost maybe £200. Probably more.
    Ok i didn't think so.. but never hurts to ask..

Post Thanks / Like

Was the dials that use to be in the rtoc shop all sold out?
    If so any interest in another group buy?

Post Thanks / Like

They do sell out from time to time but we keep restocking. There are currently 46 in stock

https://www.rtoc.org/shop/index.php?m...le09qqnue88c86

Post Thanks / Like

24 in stock .
    Bulk buy just gone to France ...twice .....first batch was still showing stuck in French depot after 3 weeks so I had to ship again .

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect, I never realised the shop was back up and running again. I will get my order in for them then.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Got to say - I bought some of these at last years Frog meeting, possibly one of the best things on my car