Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious old Renault

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi all. Just joined. This is my car - a 1971 8S:

I've owned it since March. It's my third R8 - the first two were total snotters and were quickly dismantled and disposed of. This one has 38k on the clock and is beautiful - definitely a keeper Since owning it, I've lowered it, fitted a harness and the Momo Prototipo I kept from my last car. I also put it on these 13x5 and 13x6 Gotti Bimetal replicas.

Shortly after buying the car, a friend gave me a GT Turbo motor. It was junk, but it gave me the idea of turbo'ing the car, so I bought another which I am currently rebuilding. I'm having problems at the moment - I rebuilt the head only to find no.1 spark plug socket was screwed, so I need to find another. Once complete, the GTT should go straight in on the existing mounts

Before I fit the engine, I want to servo the brakes and build an uprated gearbox because the original one will explode if you try to run any sort of torque through it.

Great forum! I'm not familiar with Renaults, so it's proving really useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Curious old Renault

that's lovely

be nice with a Gordini Turbo engine

Post Thanks / Like

That is stunning! Welcome to the club and that goes for your car as well! Gorgeous motor!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    that's lovely
    I second that

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Its mad to see a J series engine in a 1971 car!! Hammers it home how old the engines really are!!

Awesome car by the way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Its mad to see a J series engine in a 1971 car!! Hammers it home how old the engines really are!!

Awesome car by the way
    C series engine...

Cleon

Post Thanks / Like

welcome mate ,lovely looking r8 you got there

Post Thanks / Like

C series engine...

Cleon
    doh! It was late

Post Thanks / Like

i've been keeping an eye on these for a while.
    there was a site a while ago with a guy who'd put a gt turbo engine in one - but they had to modify the firewall.
    but it did work.
    i'm assuming you've seen this:

http://keops-racing.skyrock.com/

and

http://keos-racing.skyrock.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Renault nice colour as well

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely car mate, welcome to the club

Post Thanks / Like

i love these cars! Nice one, looks great

This one got me all excited recently https://www.rtoc.org/files/Events/200...2009%20051.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome mate, welcome to the club

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

That's just fricking awesome!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely.....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    i've been keeping an eye on these for a while.
    there was a site a while ago with a guy who'd put a gt turbo engine in one - but they had to modify the firewall.
    but it did work.
    i'm assuming you've seen this:

http://keops-racing.skyrock.com/

and

http://keos-racing.skyrock.com/
    I can't find it, but I'd love to see it - any direct links?

I've sussed that I'll have to move the fuel tank (to the boot at the front) and unbolt the firewall to allow room for the turbo and downpipe. No biggie.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll be asking all sorts of stupid questions once I have my new head and am on my way with the engine rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

you could make a manifold that put the turbo out to the side.

I suggested the Gordini engine as you have loads of space for the crossflow head and it'd give you more space around the turbo. I'd install it with a GT blow through carb and intercooler rather than use the Gordini carb.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

you could make a manifold that put the turbo out to the side.

I suggested the Gordini engine as you have loads of space for the crossflow head and it'd give you more space around the turbo. I'd install it with a GT blow through carb and intercooler rather than use the Gordini carb.
    And the stupid questions begin sooner than expected... can I use the GTT bottom-end? I have one, and it's OK.

Will the carb go straight on the Gordini intake manifold or do I need to make an adaptor?

Will the Gordini head be OK with unleaded fuel?

Will it all work (is it tried-and-tested?).

The reason I chose the GTT engine was that they're basic, easy to get bits for, and there's loads of readily-available knowledge about. I don't know much about Renaults, so a large element of my decision revolves around the desire to keep things simple.
    Last edited by jamlip; 26-08-2009 at 20:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamlip View Post

And the stupid questions begin sooner than expected... can I use the GTT bottom-end? I have one, and it's OK.

Will the carb go straight on the Gordini intake manifold or do I need to make an adaptor?

Will the Gordini head be OK with unleaded fuel?

Will it all work (is it tried-and-tested?).

The reason I chose the GTT engine was that they're basic, easy to get bits for, and there's loads of readily-available knowledge about. I don't know much about Renaults, so a large element of my decision revolves around the desire to keep things simple.
    No stupid questions yet.

I think I'd use the complete Gordini engine because the cams are different, and the Gordini uses a cam bearing in the block. That's not to say that you can't mix and match as I've fitted the bearing into my GTT block. You will almost certainly need to modify the head to fit the water pump on the back of the engine, or use a Turbo 2 head...

You'd need to make a plate to bolt the GTT carb onto the Gordini manifold, not too tricky, and it's been done on more than one Gordini.

You'd probably want to make an exhaust manifold, or have the turbo sat over the gearbox, and have to move your tank etc.

I couldn't say for certain on the unleaded, I run it, but then I don't do many miles.

if you ask this guy nice he might show you some pictures of his engine.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=325

Post Thanks / Like

i cant bloody find the link now - it was good few years ago.

did find this renault 18 turbo engined one though.

also, a guy called 'spryboy1974' on renault classic car club and r5gordini.co.uk had an r8 that he was trying to put a gt turbo engine in.
    infact i've just seen you chatting to him already....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a pair of UJs, an oil cooler and an oil pressure gauge off him! Didn't realise he was trying to fit a GTT motor...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No stupid questions yet.

I think I'd use the complete Gordini engine because the cams are different, and the Gordini uses a cam bearing in the block. That's not to say that you can't mix and match as I've fitted the bearing into my GTT block. You will almost certainly need to modify the head to fit the water pump on the back of the engine, or use a Turbo 2 head...

You'd need to make a plate to bolt the GTT carb onto the Gordini manifold, not too tricky, and it's been done on more than one Gordini.

You'd probably want to make an exhaust manifold, or have the turbo sat over the gearbox, and have to move your tank etc.

I couldn't say for certain on the unleaded, I run it, but then I don't do many miles.

if you ask this guy nice he might show you some pictures of his engine.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=325
    Thanks Andrew. I need to have a think about this - looks like I could quite easily fritter-away even more money not through knowing exactly what I'm doing. I have limitations, like not having a garage with power, or a ramp, or welding equipment for making manifolds and suchlike.

A few more questions, seeing as you seem to know things...

I like that the GTT is a non-crossflow and has the same sort of look as the original 1108 currently in the car. Would it be possible to fit the GTT head to the existing lump to make an 1108 turbo? Obviously I'd need to do something about lowering the compression...

Post Thanks / Like

I like that the GTT is a non-crossflow and has the same sort of look as the original 1108 currently in the car. Would it be possible to fit the GTT head to the existing lump to make an 1108 turbo? Obviously I'd need to do something about lowering the compression...
    I'm sure it would bolt on, but I'm not sure how it would work with gaskets with your 70mm bore compared to the 76mm bore of the turbo. Similarly I don't know if the valves would clear... It's also possible that the GTT manifold could be persuaded onto your head, your 8.5:1cr would be OK.

You might need a flywheel off a Gordini as I don't suppose you have crank triggers on yours? The GTT one is a larger diameter, I don't think it will fit. You'll want the AEI, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator off a GTT too.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it would bolt on, but I'm not sure how it would work with gaskets with your 70mm bore compared to the 76mm bore of the turbo. Similarly I don't know if the valves would clear... It's also possible that the GTT manifold could be persuaded onto your head, your 8.5:1cr would be OK.

You might need a flywheel off a Gordini as I don't suppose you have crank triggers on yours? The GTT one is a larger diameter, I don't think it will fit. You'll want the AEI, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator off a GTT too.
    I have a GTT flywheel, which apparently will fit if you grind-away some of the bellhousing. Sources say you can use the clutch from a Trafic van!

I bought a load of GTT stuff, so I have the AEI and fuel pressure reg. Will buy a new pump.

I like the idea of an 1108 turbo - that would be weird, and cool, if a little pointless...

Post Thanks / Like

what about the starter motor with the bigger flywheel?

assuming it is bigger...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!!!!!thats Mint!!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what about the starter motor with the bigger flywheel?

assuming it is bigger...
    I've been referring to this: http://209.85.227.132/translate_c?hl...IfJQzTwtGJL_WA

...which is someone putting a GTT into an A110. If you read point number 7, there's a photo - are they just spacing the motor from the bellhousing? They're using an R16 item.

Post Thanks / Like

there was a guy on here called Boris, the south african dude, that Tom 6"6' and eugein knew, who did a 1.1 mk2 r5 gtt turbo.

i think the easiest was to get around the AEI- flywheel problem is to use the stock R8 distributor, and to modify the swing arms in the base of the unit, so you dont get as much advance as you normally would.

There is also a toothed cam in the r5 1.1 engine dizzy that you can adjust and make the curve more or less aggressive whilst under vacuum conditions (maybe the r8 dizzy is the same).

You obviously wouldnt be able to run any boost retard, but thats why you'd have to be conservative with the swing arm movement
    might also be worth looking at H H Ignition solutions too - they are very cheap.

i only say all this because thats basically what the R5 turbo 2 ran. 10deg at idle and 27deg at 3000rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been referring to this: http://209.85.227.132/translate_c?hl...IfJQzTwtGJL_WA

...which is someone putting a GTT into an A110. If you read point number 7, there's a photo - are they just spacing the motor from the bellhousing? They're using an R16 item.
    that looks a lot of bother, I'd look at the Gordini flywheel. I don't know where my old one ended up, I think I gave it to Adey, maybe he gave it to Jesus?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    there was a guy on here called Boris, the south african dude, that Tom 6"6' and eugein knew, who did a 1.1 mk2 r5 gtt turbo.

i think the easiest was to get around the AEI- flywheel problem is to use the stock R8 distributor, and to modify the swing arms in the base of the unit, so you dont get as much advance as you normally would.

There is also a toothed cam in the r5 1.1 engine dizzy that you can adjust and make the curve more or less aggressive whilst under vacuum conditions (maybe the r8 dizzy is the same).

You obviously wouldnt be able to run any boost retard, but thats why you'd have to be conservative with the swing arm movement
    might also be worth looking at H H Ignition solutions too - they are very cheap.

i only say all this because thats basically what the R5 turbo 2 ran. 10deg at idle and 27deg at 3000rpm.
    Thanks Sparkie. Did Boris just use the stock head with a GTT manifold? It looks like I need to do some learning about Renault stuff before I go too wild in the ideas dept.

I just had a look at the H&H website - they can profile advance curves to order, so that might be a good move. I guess Megajolt would also solve the problem, and allow me to run boost retard, plus a nice spark.

Post Thanks / Like

i think he used the gt turbo head.

the turbo manifold has an extra row of studs to hold it onto the head. - check how many are on your head, i pretty much guarantee that the gtt manifold will not fit.
    - i had a 1.1 mk1 r5 TL, that i turned into a 1.4 litre, and i used the TL head - it made the compression about 11.2:1 which went well with a 288deg cam. however the heads ports will not match the gtt manifold either.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Good to see... I bought an H reg one brand new in that colour, a pig to keep
    clean and red. Problem was that the rings on 2 pistons lined-up, and bent the crankshaft,
    so an engine rebuild with just 6K on the clock. Still, it was fun to drive! With all that power,
    you'll need some weight at the front, especially on breezy days!

Regards,
    Steve