Post Thanks / Like

Actuator for a GT2560r (gt28r)

Right I'm a bit pi$$sed off after stripping the engine out of my car fitting low comp pistons uprated rods etc.... I went to get it mapped today.

During the whole mapping session the boost would spike the drop of quickly.

After 15+ power runs and much frustration we lost boost completely a bit of investigation and the diaphram in the actuator has failed.

This could be partially my fault as when I had the cylinder head off I spennt a little while shaping the actuator rod to clear the oil feed, so that it sat square with the actuator. Unlike the way it was.

Anyone got any ideas on which actuator and rod assembly I can use to replace it?

Cheers

Steve

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Actuator for a GT2560r (gt28r)

Hi steve

my experience with those actuators (the same unit seems to come on the 2554r, etc) is that they do not have a particularly strong spring in them. A long time ago I ran a 2554r with the standard actuator, it would spike a lot. I replaced it with the common -34 (or -31 would do) type "cosworth" (garrett) actuator and all was fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers form the reply mate, am gonna give universal turbos a ring to see what actuators they've got in stock.

Do you think a cossie actuator will be to big in diameter? bearing in mind how close the one in the pic above sits to the bulk head?

Post Thanks / Like

can you not swing the centre housing around to stop the actuator rod and oil feed from clashing. There's no problem being 10deg out of vertical, and potenially some benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Never thought of that Andrew but am going to take it off tomorrow so will have a look at it

Post Thanks / Like

The -31's and -34's are twice the size of those standard GT actuators. That looks as if it's sitting pretty close to the bulkhead as it is, i'd do what Andy suggested ad rotate the housing slightly.

Post Thanks / Like

A big thanks to both Andrew and Adam for suggesting, rotating the centre housing.

I stripped it down and sure enough the centre is easy to rotate, it was previously set with oil inlet at approx 1.30 position and now I've moved it to the 12 o clock position and I'm able to get away with a straight actuator.

Have been on the phone loads to Chris at universal turbos who's been spot on and I now have a new actuator on its way.

The only snag is a mysterious oil leak coming from up near the camshaft pulley area at the rear of the engine.

I know Ashy had a prob with a failed camshaft seal, but Ive partially disassemble'd the top of the engine and all the timing gear is oil free so will have to investigate further.

Cheers again

Steve