Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Classic Policy! Age Limit - Piss Take!

Hello, Recently bought a 5 GT Turbo as a project to restore to its original glory, and so far i'm thoroughly enjoying the satisfaction out of the work im putting in. However i'm having trouble insuring the car for a reasonable price.

I currently have a policy for my Focus TDCi Sport with more than, and am paying £340 fully comp, with 4 years NC, & at 22. The car's group 8 insurance.

Im trying everywhere for a classic policy, however i find it very unfair that im not able to put the 5 on a classic policy due to my age - i find this really unnacceptable.

My cheapest quote so far is with Adrian Flux at £800 fully comp, i was hoping for anything around £400.

Would anyone be able to advise me on a company that would be able to provide a classic car policy for a person my age, or is there any other way around getting insurance for a lower price?

It would be a shame to keep the 5 in storage - as id like to drive it on special occassions etc.

Any advice will be greatfully appreciated - Thanks, Wren 5

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classic Policy! Age Limit - Piss Take!

Have you tried HIC? I don't know if they have an age limit though

Post Thanks / Like

Also, don't forget that a GTT is group 14 insurance, so it may be tough to get down to £400 all in.

My insurance with HIC is £400, limited to 2,000 miles and I'm 27 with same amount of discount, no accidents/claims or points in last 5 years

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a normal policy for my 5 with direct line, 22 years old, 2 years ncb, full comp. is £580. I have a multi car discount though as my sister is insured with them and also put my mam and dad on the policy which did bring it down some. Dunno if it would be worth while seeing if more than do a multi car discount set up? I have heard HIC are ment to be canny tho.

Post Thanks / Like

At 22 you will struggle to get a quote under £800 imo.

As for classic policy's there has always been an age restriction. Get it insured in somebody else's name parents etc & drive it third party if you have the option on your own ins.

Post Thanks / Like

Ins group 14-17 back in the day...

At 22 you'll be lucky to get anywhere near £400 without massively reduced annual mileage, TPFT, high volutary excess, no mods and get your RTOC membership recognised (HIC give you discount for this for example).

Try sticking your mum on the policy as a second driver too. Some insurance calcs work out that for a % of the time she'll be driving the car, hence a lower price (assuming she hasn't been disqualified in the past, lol).

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Thanks everyone - I might have to end up taking the policy with Adrian Flux, although im going to give HIC a go.

I have a few months of work to do on the 5 first anyhow, but its so tempting to drive around! ! !

Thanks Again - Wren 5

Post Thanks / Like

Try these as i found them to be massively cheaper then the rest,

http://www.sureterm.com/

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First post!

Try Hagerty - http://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/

I had my 1972 911 insured with them - 23 years old, clean, 5000 miles a year, agreed value of £25k, garaged in an average sort of area, owner's club and 5 years NCB... £235 / year and £17 or so per trackday. The next cheapest quote was £1800 with no track cover.

They work on the principle that you like your car and aren't planning on driving it like a bellend.

I have my Renault 8 insured with them and it's so cheap I can't even remember how much it was

I don't know how good they are on claims as I've never made one, but they answer the phone quickly and you get to speak to the same person every time. I deal with a guy called Phil Dunne and he always remembers the cars from the name. Great to deal with.