Post Thanks / Like

How hard can it be to get water into the cooling system!

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Slight update regarding my "nightmare buy" 5 turbo............Pretty sure that the head gasket is blown, and no doubt I did some more damage besides that when I limped it home and it got "a little bit hot!"
    So I've got a refurb head on the way and some tougher gaskets/bolts etc.........hopefully this will get me going in the right direction.
    I was having another look at the car the other night and despite using the bleed screws there seems to be absolutely no way I can get fluid flowing round the system, theres pressure in the pipes but the radiator is stone cold, hence no cooling fan, hence overheating.......never seen anything like this before, can't work it out.
    There must be one hell of an air lock or blockage somewhere.......

I'm first to admit that my knowledge is basic with anything mechanical but I've always been able to suss things in the past..........this little French sod has got me totally licked though.......
    .........................................and no ones going to be reading this because they're all going to be at the National day...........except me!

Damn!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How hard can it be to get water into the cooling system!

Undo the bleed screws and blow in to the header tank. You need an air tight seal. Keep blowing until the coolant comes out of the bleed screws and do them up (whilst still blowing). Make sure the water remains topped up or you'll just fill the system with air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sy5GTT View Post
    Undo the bleed screws and blow in to the header tank. You need an air tight seal. Keep blowing until the coolant comes out of the bleed screws and do them up (whilst still blowing). Make sure the water remains topped up or you'll just fill the system with air.
    Thanks mate, will give it a try

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I do to bleed mine, do this without the engine running !.

Unclip the header tank and hold the tank up as high as it will go. Use a bit of string and tie it over the corner of the bonnet if it helps. Put the heaters into the hot position. Make sure the header tank is topped up and kept topped up as you dont want to introduce any more air into the system. Open the bleed screws one at a time until a steady stream of water is comming out. Usually I open each screw at least twice just to make sure !. Once your happy put the header tank back, replace the cap and run the engine for a short while, probably long enough for the thermostat (if fitted) to open. You can confirm this by feeling the pipe from the water pump to the top of the rad. If its hot then your pretty sure water is running through it. Let the car cool down for a few hours and then check once more. Might be over the top but I have never had any problems with air locks etc so works for me.

PS If you havent already got one then get a Haynes manual off ebay for a few quid. Things like the bleeding procedure are listed. Nothing on these cars is that tricky and people on this site are really helpful but its good to have the manual for reference . Let us know how you get on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Here is what I do to bleed mine, do this without the engine running !.

Unclip the header tank and hold the tank up as high as it will go. Use a bit of string and tie it over the corner of the bonnet if it helps. Put the heaters into the hot position. Make sure the header tank is topped up and kept topped up as you dont want to introduce any more air into the system. Open the bleed screws one at a time until a steady stream of water is comming out. Usually I open each screw at least twice just to make sure !. Once your happy put the header tank back, replace the cap and run the engine for a short while, probably long enough for the thermostat (if fitted) to open. You can confirm this by feeling the pipe from the water pump to the top of the rad. If its hot then your pretty sure water is running through it. Let the car cool down for a few hours and then check once more. Might be over the top but I have never had any problems with air locks etc so works for me.

PS If you havent already got one then get a Haynes manual off ebay for a few quid. Things like the bleeding procedure are listed. Nothing on these cars is that tricky and people on this site are really helpful but its good to have the manual for reference . Let us know how you get on.

This method always works for me too

Post Thanks / Like

yeah hold the header tank up and give her a big dirrrrrty blow job!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there do you live near saint thomas church just off chatty road, if so i saw you yesterday pulling onto you drive.
    If you need a hand just drop me a pm, i store my 5 not far away.

danny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Turbloide2 View Post
    Hi there do you live near saint thomas church just off chatty road, if so i saw you yesterday pulling onto you drive.
    If you need a hand just drop me a pm, i store my 5 not far away.

danny
    Owdo Danny,
    No mate, my 5 won't move at the minute............I live at (God I HATE saying this!....Clowne.....no giggling at the back!)....quite fitting really!

Thanks to everyone for the advice.........going to have another go today

Post Thanks / Like

Well, tried just about every method known to man, including the ones above, which I have no doubt work on normal non poorly 5's....................I've had no luck whatoever....I've blown in the header tank, had it unclipped and hel as high as possible (not very high at all in truth).......car still has a stone cold radiator, no fan cut in......It could just be the radiator or a pipe somewhere that is blocked.....together, of course,

Post Thanks / Like

blocked rad. You said horrible rusty water came out so i presume the coolant if any has never been changed. Wip the rad off and flush it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    blocked rad. You said horrible rusty water came out so i presume the coolant if any has never been changed. Wip the rad off and flush it.
    Next job Matt, Provided I keep my interest level up............

How the hell did I have a ten mile test run in this thing and think there was nowt wrong with it?..........in fairness, there wasn't.......but there is now!

Post Thanks / Like

Water pump ?
    No flow by the sounds of it ?

Non-member Pete@Backyard Racing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd probably say faulty waterpump or thermostat

Post Thanks / Like

if your pipes are getting hot but have no flow through the rad its either blocked or the thermostat isnt opening, easiest way to check is take the thermostat out. Ideally you should keep it in plus there cheap to replace.